1. Bonfire of theVanity MetricsIvory Madison (not pictured)CEO and Founder, Red Room
2. “There is no safety in numbers or in anything else.” –James Thurber
3. Vain, Vainglorious Vanity: Not Good for Business • Vanity blinds you to a lack of product/market fit. • It commits you to your original vision without agility. • It gets you invested in appearances, not reality.
4. “Like dreams, statistics are a form of wish fulfillment.” –Jean Baudrillard
5. Vanity Metrics: The MostCommon Form of Success Theater • Living beyond your means: unsustainable • Spending energy merely looking successful: stupid • Exaggerating your accomplishments: dishonest
6. Mark Twain said:“Facts are stubborn, statistics more pliable.”
7. Notorious Vanity Metrics: What Numbers Not To Use• Pageviews • Percent Growth• New Members • Conversion Rate• Total Members • Twitter followers• Unique visitors/visits • Facebook friends/likes
8. “This is the way the worldends, not with a bang but a whimper.” –T.S. Eliot
9. Characteristics of Actionable Metrics• Measure success at your core business. • Show or directly relates to revenue. • Track real, individual customers. • Illustrate cause and effect. • Lead you to what to do next.
10. “I’m not prepared for a zombie apocalypse. I need more bottled water, a shotgun, and stronger abs.” –Jenna Fischer
11. Your Four:The Most Important Metrics(The Four Horseman of the Apocalypse) • Measure Revenue • Measure Sales Volume • Measure Customer Retention • Measure Relevant Growth
12. “To see a world in a grain of sand…” – William Blake
13. Find the Big Picturein the Small Numbers• Real Lean Startups Don’t Flinch at Real Numbers• Business Lessons are Life Lessons• Vow to Give Up Vanity• Make the Vision About More Than Just the Numbers