4 RULES TO STARTUP BY
Dallas Startup Weekend #2
YOUR CO-FOUNDER HAS A
RUNWAY. KNOW IT.
0 5 10 15 20
• Too many founder teams focus solely on the startup's runway.
Vest co-founder shares.
A STARTUP LAWYER IS NOT A
LEGAL DOCUMENT GATEKEEPER.
• Ifyou do not seek advice from
Documents your lawyer, you aren't using
your lawyer right.
• Ifyou aren't getting advice from
your lawyer, you have the wrong
TELL YOUR "FINDER" TO GET LOST
(AND TO GO "FIND" A REAL JOB).
• Thereis a 99% chance the ﬁnder should be registered as a
broker-dealer with FINRA and the State.
• Penaltiesfor using an unregistered broker-dealer start at the
rescission of all investment.
There is no better person to pitch your startup
to investors than your co-founder team. Don’t
outsource this crucial task.
STRUCTURE STARTUP DEALS
LIKE STARTUP DEALS.
• The Good News: Dallas has a lot of angel investors thanks to
real estate and oil & gas deals.
• TheBad News: Dallas has a lot of angel investors who are
used to real estate and oil & gas deals.
Do your best to maintain control as you would in a
typical startup angel ﬁnancing, no matter what type of
FUBAR investment structure is proposed.