Tel +44 (0) 75544 14623
Email : email@example.com
Twitter : @stewarttownsend
Vibrant and connected social marketeer working within the global Startup community. Recognized by
colleagues as an excellent communicator with world renowned shirts. Presents at industry conferences
and facilitates workshops with developing/growing communities and startups to develop new business
opportunities. Thrives on new challenges, focused on the goals and objectives and breaks down the
barriers to reach them, whilst representing the organisation and himself in a professional manner at all
• Virtual/Remote business unit builder and driver, ability to develop new business from a standing
start into a multi stream revenue unit.
• A WHY person, challenging and engaging processes and sales.
• Creative thinker - Successfully changed brand perception within the startup community that
traditionally thought of Sun as a large enterprise vendor delivering 12 customer references and
over 100+ new customers to Sun, such as last.fm, glasses direct and tweetmeme.
• Excellent communication, organisational and negotiating skills
• Recognized Social Media expert most recently invited to speak at Social Media In Business,
Being Social 10 and regular contributor to online communities.
• Results driven work ethic - most recently delivered 100 new customers in FY09 to Sun.
• Exceptional Networking Skills - pro-active introductions and growing contact base that helps
bring connections together, one of the most connected people on Linkedin within Oracle UK.
• Exceptional Public Speaker - most recently invited to present at SXSW 2010 “ Digital Britain:
How to Launch into Europe”
Oracle Corporation February 2010 – Present day
Business Development within Oracle’s EMEA Technology Marketing
Sun Microsystems – January 2001 – Present Day
Manager Sun Startup Essentials EMEA December 2007 – Present Day
Managed Sun's Startup Essentials business unit for Europe owning the sales target,increasing brand
awareness, marketing supporting for virtual team of 10 people across multiple European countries.
Owning the goal to deliver new customers to Sun, entailed managing the budget of $75k PA for
marketing, sponsorship and supporting activities whilst also publicly representing Sun at events around
Europe, in terms of speaking or interviews with the media.
Built and launched Startup Essentials programme for Sun across Europe
• Running and building virtual teams across multiple marketing/sales business units helped
enable its growth to a $3m dollar business in under 18 months.
• Implemented Social Media strategy after developing social media best practices to accelerate
the swing in Sun's brand perception.
• Opened up and grew multiple sales channels through EMEA organisation, to enable upsell of
other products into the customer base.
• Built a new sales channel to market for Sun, within its sales channel to focus on the small
• Persuaded new countries to utilise my business unit, to help grow in country revenue.
Developed Customer Reference Resource and Public Facing Statements
• Drove and succeeded in gaining 12 customer references for Sun Microsystems with brands
such as last.fm, glasses direct and tweetmeme, helping enable the startup community to
promote themselves but also demonstrate how a large corporate has helped small companies
succeed and save costs.
• The references were used to show cost savings, benefits to the customer and the environment
whilst also acting as our advocates in the community.
• The references were also used to act as evidence for any interviews with the press to give third
Public face of Sun Startup Essentials
• Represented Sun Microsystems across Europe and US at public speaking events, press
interviews, video interviews and internal partner/sales events.
• Recognised by the global startup community as the face of Sun Startup Essentials, and thus
Sun's brand and products.
• Built an awareness of Sun across Europe in a predominantly cloud/Dell/HP focused
marketplace, helping to soften Sun's brand and creating new advocates to evangelise.
• Achieved a personal respect throughout various communities for being supportive,helpful but
also understanding to their needs and requirements, leading to invitations to speak at
conferences, host awards, judge in international award ceremonies and also give interviews or
soundbites to the global press.
• Developed and ran a series of events “Make IT Scale” , “Startup Essentials User Group”
aimed at supporting startups/developers and entrepreneurs with further education to enable
them to grow and scale from a technical/commercial aspect quickly.
• Hosted events in our facilities around Twitter, Facebook, MySQL, Java, Drupal, marketing,
sales development and mentoring that helped strengthen community ties but also grow the
reach of my network, thus enabling third party sales/referals.
ISV Partner Manager EMEA November 2005 – November 2007
• Owned the UK and Ireland goal to migrate 250 ISV's onto latest version of Solaris across all
• Define 5 sector specific account plans and focused technology/commercial account plan, to
cover government, finance, telco, education and healthcare.
• Manage commercial aspects of multiple partner relationships, including 5 resellers, channel
development, ISVs and implementation partners looking at a revenue to Sun of $50m+
• Extended my “Make IT fly” technology events to a wider audience and continued to build a
developer community around Solaris/Java, making the events mixed business networking
• Worked with sales organisations to increase pipeline, through bringing together end user and
ISV requirements, also part of overall selling team to help enable a more focused approach to
the end user customer.
• Focused on developing new business in the ISV partner, and aligning this with year on year
sales goals, to grow in line with the business needs and goals.
Sun System Engineer UK – January 2001 – October 2005
• Joined the pre-sales Systems Engineering team to spend more time in front of clients
influencing technology decisions.
• Designed and architected end user solutions into the financial services sector.
• Supported ISV partner community in multiple sector opportunities to increase attach rate and
decrease sales time cycle.
• Supported the developer community through Make IT fly a IT workshop held every quarter to
educate developers on latest technologies.
EDUCATION, QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING
Post Graduate Msc Social Media 2010 ongoing – Thesis research at present.
Degree 2:1 Business and Information Systems
Salford University (part time) 1998-2001
Target Account Selling
Six Sigma methodologies
Advanced Presentations Skills
High Impact Communication Skills
Business Mentor for Next Women delivering support
to EMEA based startups supporting them in
developing sales channels and brand/marketing
Invited to be a judge/advisor at –
Chinwag Digital Missions
How to Web
Professional social speaker e.g. BectaX, SmiB10.
Support local not for profit school aimed at engaging
excluded young people and supporting them onto