What is test anxiety?
What are the symptoms?
What causes test anxiety?
How can I control it?
What is Test Anxiety?
Test Anxiety: An uneasiness or
apprehension experienced before, during,
or after a test because of concern, worry,
If you have ever experienced:
◦ Mental Blocks
◦ Physical discomfort
Do you have test-anxiety?
C. I don’t know
What Causes Test Anxiety?
Fear of failure
Lack of preparation
Poor test-taking skills
How to Prevent Test Anxiety
Week Before – Prepare and Practice!
Day Before – Eat right, Get rest, No worries!
Day Of – Relax, Be Confident, Keep Focus!
Day After – Get your mind off of the test. Do
a favorite activity. Hang out with friends
Week After – Start preparation for your next
Helpful Tips to Reduce Anxiety
Set the right atmosphere for studying
Take notes efficiently
Develop a study schedule
Create learning aids
Prepare yourself by attending all classes,
asking questions, and getting help if you
have a particular problem with the
Use your imagination in a positive way.
Have a healthy diet, and exercise
Before you begin the exam:
1. Read the directions carefully
2. Preview types of questions and the point
value of each
3. Calculate time needed for each section
4. “Dump sheet” Write any notes that will
help stimulate your memory
Used everyday to communicate
Great to help memorize detailed
processes or information for tests too
Three Types of Test Questions
Multiple choice questions usually include
a phrase or stem followed by three to five
◦ Read the directions carefully
◦ Know if each question has one or more
◦ Know if you are penalized for guessing
◦ Know how much time is allowed
Strategies for answering difficult
◦ Eliminate options you know to be incorrect
◦ "All of the above:"
If you know two of three options seem
correct, "all of the above" is a strong
◦ Remember that you are looking for the best
answer, not only a correct one
1. Which of the following animals most
likely chewed mom’s shoe?
Who wrote A Christmas Carol?
A. Stephen King
B. Dr. Seuss
C. Ernest Hemingway
D. Charles Dickens
E. Nicholas Sparks
0% 0% 0%0%0%
A teacher's primary purpose
in giving a short-answer test is to test whether
you have a foundation of knowing the material,
Prepare for the test
◦ Develop summary sheets of the course material
◦ Focus on key words, events, vocabulary, concepts
◦ Organize and categorize the material, then review.
When taking the test
◦ Respond directly to the question or directive
◦ Focus on keywords and ideas called for
◦ Eliminate those that do not directly address the
information requested in the test item
◦ A guess made with common sense
could get you more test points than if you leave an
◦ Read all of the questions/instructions first
◦ Underline key words:
◦ Be specific
◦ Write legibly
◦ Budget your time
Proofread at the end and correct any errors
Please Contact Us
Grand Strand 477-2113