4. Goals• Build brand identity• Communicate with readers and authors• Promote content• Revenue? Unsure.
5. First Steps:boundary 2’ and Pedagogy’ Blogs s s blog no longer available
6. Be open.
7. Have realistic ideas about how much timesocial networking requires.
8. Duke University Press Blog Features • Events • Recent titles • Authors and titles in the news • Book prizes • Photos of authors at conferences • Guest posts by authors
9. Duke University Press Facebook Duke D on on Facebook Features • Links to free content • Recent titles • Contests and prizes • Links to news on the blog
10. Duke University Press on Facebook
11. Be willing to experiment.
12. Think of Facebook as a newsfeedfor your community.
13. Duke University Press on YouTube Features videos by authors and DUP staff members. Successful videos •author Negar Mottahedeh on Iranian cinema (1,396 views in three months) •acquisitions editor Ken Wissoker (557 views in one month)
14. Duke University Press on TwitterDuke University Press on Twitter • Promote free content • Share news about authors and titles • Promote events • Retweet news • Generate conversation
17. Provide useful information. Retweet. Link outside of Twitter.
18. Duke University Press Web Site (redesign coming soon) Features • Reading lists • A“ recommend to a friend” feature • A course adoption page with recommendations from educators • The ability to add social networking tags (delicious, digg, Facebook, etc.)
19. Points to Consider consider• Think about how frequently you want to communicate and how much time you can commit.• Decide who should be the voice of the organization.• Strive for balance.• Consider what the benefits or incentives are for the user.
20. Who should build the community?• Publishers• Societies• Journals• Conference organizers• Individuals (ex: Savage Minds blog)
21. Duke University Press Duke University PressBlog: www.dukeupress.typepad.comFacebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/ Durham-NC/Duke-University-Press/15552063377Twitter: twitter.com/dukepressYouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/duppublicityDuke University Press Web site: dukeupress.edu