1. Data, Information, Knowledge, Wisdom .... the case for Conversation . <ul><ul><li>Steve Song </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Telecommunications Fellow </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Shuttleworth Foundation </li></ul></ul>
3. The Organisation
4. The Organisation A finely calibrated machine
5. The Organisation
6. The Organisation A complex adaptive system
7. <ul><li>Carl Rogers </li></ul><ul><li>“ The only man who is educated is the man who has learned how to learn ... </li></ul><ul><li>how to adapt and change ... </li></ul><ul><li>who has learned that no knowledge is secure, </li></ul><ul><li>that only the process of seeking knowledge gives a basis for security” </li></ul>
9. Science Communion with truth
11. Science A Social Enterprise
14. Quantity changes everything qualitatively ...more is different For networks, more isn't just more...
21. ~ 180 million blogs started world wide 1 ~ 3 million posts per day 2 1 http://technorati.com/blogging/state-of-the-blogosphere/ 2 http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/04/29/end-of-speculation-the-real-twitter-usage-numbers/ 3 http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/11/03/three-billion-photos-at-flickr/ ~ 3 billion photos 3 4 http://www.youtube.com/t/fact_sheet ~ 10 hours of video uploaded every minute 4
22. Power Law Distributions The average user is not your average user
24. John Seely-Brown “… my own thinking for now 30 years is kind of the shift from a Cartesian point of view of I think, therefore I am where knowledge is a kind of substance that gets kind of poured into your head to build up stocks of knowledge in your head..supposedly, versus we participate, therefore we are in that in participation with others that we come into being ”
25. Euan Semple former head of KM at the BBC described his job as Increasing the frequency and quality of the conversations that get your job done
26. Cory Doctorow Conversation is king. Content is just something to talk about.
27. Leaving traces
28. Leaving traces In order to transcend space AND time, you need to leave traces of yourself, your thoughts, your conversations, your insights.
29. Seth Godin “ The word blog is irrelevant, what's important is that it is now common, and will soon be expected, that every intelligent person (and quite a few unintelligent ones) will have a media platform where they share what they care about with the world.”
31. Seems Crazy But we'll adapt to a world of Web 2.0 like we adapt to other complex environments
34. http://www.flickr.com/photos/ecstaticist/2969032490/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/zakq100/1576540418/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/7603557@N08/517302330/ By Ecstaticist By ŽakQ100 By Lars Hammar http://www.flickr.com/photos/luc/1824234195/ By Luc Legay http://www.flickr.com/photos/joi/2196901054/ By Joi Ito http://www.flickr.com/photos/docsearls/391794674/ By Doc Searls http://www.flickr.com/photos/joi/982841401/ By Joi Ito http://www.flickr.com/photos/njlibraryevents/2982893992/ By New Jersey State Library http://www.flickr.com/photos/photonquantique/1411702665/ By PhOtOnQuAnTiQuE Creative Commons
35. Creative Commons http://www.flickr.com/photos/spursfan_ace/2328879637/ By David Reece http://www.flickr.com/photos/sookie/31219031/ By Sookie http://www.flickr.com/photos/ecstaticist/2969032490/ By PJFB Photography http://www.planetary.org/image/as8-14-2383HR.jpg By NASA http://www.flickr.com/photos/tym/268420844/ By Proggie http://www.flickr.com/photos/maisonbisson/109211670/ By misterbisson http://www.flickr.com/photos/gyuvallos/71410563/ By Gerald Yuvallos Thanks to Clay Shirky and Here Comes Everybody for many of the ideas that inspired this presentation. Also thanks to Quino for being such a magnificent cartoonist.