Hello, my name is Europe!Social Studies for 9th E.G.B. | Teacher: Mauricio Torres
• In the ancient world, it used to be divided into three different parts: Europa, Asia and Libya (Africa).• Myth says that the name was taken from a Phoenician princess, abducted by Zeus.• Persians (people from Mesopotamia and Asia Minor) called the land across the Bosporus: Europe, referring to Greece itself and beyond.Why Europe?
• The continent is called this way because a number of smaller peninsulas spread out into the oceans, to the north, west and south • North: Scandinavian Peninsula • Southwest: Iberian Peninsula • South: Italian Peninsula and Greece.A Peninsula of Peninsulas
• Bodies of water that surround the islands and Peninsulas of Europe: • Atlantic Ocean • Arctic Ocean • North Sea • English Channel • Bay of Biscay • Baltic Sea • Mediterranean Sea • Adriatic Sea • Ionian Sea • Aegean SeaWater Boundaries
• The following are the most important rivers in Europe (sorted from the longest to the shortest): • Volga (3692) • Danube (2860) • Dnieper (2290) • Rhine (1236) • Elbe (1091) • Ebro (910) • Seine (776) • Po (682) (all measured in kilometers)Important Waterways
• Volga (3692) • Danube (2860) • Dnieper (2290) • Rhine (1236) • Elbe (1091) • Ebro (910) • Seine (776) • Po (682)Important Waterways
• Mountain Range.- a geographic area containing a system of related geological features.• Important European mountain ranges: • Alps • Carpathian mountains • Caucasus mountains • Pennines • PyreneesMountain Ranges
• Europe Is divided into two geopolitical areas: • Western Europe • Central EuropeGeopolitical division ofEurope
Western Europe Central Europe Norway, Sweden, Finland, Poland, Belarus, Ukraine, Denmark, Germany, Moldova, Czech Rep., Belgium, Netherlands, Slovakia, Hungary,Ireland, U.K., France, Spain, Romania, Slovenia, Bosnia Portugal, Italy, Switzerland, & Herzegovina, Serbia, Austria, Luxembourg, Montenegro, Bulgaria, Lichtenstein & Greece. Macedonia, Albania, Russia, Estonia, Latvia & Lithuania.Geopolitical division ofEurope
• Type two short paragraphs: • Five lines each • Times New Roman • 12 pt. • Punctuation will be graded!• If you have been to Europe, write down what you remember from that trip. If you haven’t been there, write about a how a trip over there would be like.• Use your own words. Don´t do any research.• Don’t be afraid to use stereotypes or make mistakes!Exercise!
• Baerwald, T. J., & Fraser, C. (2007). World Geography. Upper Saddle River, NJ, USA: Pearson Prentice Hall.• Burstein, S. M., & Shek, R. (2012). World History (Teacher´s Edition) (1st Edition ed.). (H. McDougal, Ed.) Orlando, Florida, US.: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company.• Images taken from Google.comBibliography