1. Sumerian Achievements S O C I A L S T U D I E S F O R 1 0 TH E . G . B . TEACHER: MAURICIO TORRES
2. Background Sumerians were not just advanced in government and religion issues; they also developed many other things, that are part of our daily life today.
3. Writing Maybe the most important development in human History. They developed cuneiform, the world’s first writing system. They used sharp tools called styluses to make symbols on clay tablets.
4. Elements of Writing Pictographs used to be the way humans kept “written” records. They were picture symbols. In cuneiform, they added representations of syllables, in that way, it enriched writing. Scribes, were specialized people that were hired to write. The first stories were written, they were called Epics.  Long poems that tell stories of heroes: The Epic of Gilgamesh
5. Technical Advances  The Wheel.  They were the first to build wheeled vehicles.  They also created a device that spins clay, so that a craftsperson can shape it: potter’s wheel.  The Plow  Pulled by oxen, the plows broke through the soil to prepare it for farming.  Water Clock
7. Math & Sciences Math system based on the number 60  That is why we divide the circle into 360º  Dividing the year into 12 months. Geometry Studied the natural world  Inventories of names of thousands of plants, animals and minerals. Medicine  Ingredients from plants, animals and minerals to produce healing drugs.  They even catalogued treatments and symptoms!
8. Architechture Architecture  The science of building.  People lived in small one story houses, made of mud bricks.  Rulers lived in large palaces.  Temples were the largest and most impressive buildings: they were called, ziggurats.  They were pyramid shaped temple towers.
9. Arts Sumerian sculptors produced many statues of gods.  They used wood, ivory and pottery.  Their pottery was really bad! Jewelry  They used gold, silver and gems. Cylinder Seals  They were small stone cylinder engraved with works of art. Music  Reed pipes, drums, tambourines and lyres.
10. Ask Yourself Recall:  What was the center of most Sumerian cities?  What was one of the most important technical development of Sumer? Summarize:  What different types of art did the Sumerians create? Describe:  What Sumerian advance in mathematics do we use everyday when we look at the calendar?  How did Sumerians write? Draw Conclusions:  How was cuneiform used to express complex ideas?
11. Optional Task #1 Find out the meaning of all the words in this slide show, that are in this color. Search for their meaning, in order to be better prepared for your test!
12. Optional Task #2  Get some clay!  Use a stick or something similar as a stylus.  Draw some pictographs and try to write a sentence!  Bring it to school and show it to your friends, and have them try to guess what it means.  Involve your parents and ask them to help you out!
13. Bibliography Burstein, S. M., & Shek, R. (2012). World History (Teacher´s Edition) (1st Edition ed.). (H. McDougal, Ed.) Orlando, Florida, US.: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Images taken from Google and “Ancient Mesopotamia for Kids” http://mesopotamia.mrdonn.org/.