1. SolomonSocial Studies for 10th E.G.B. | Teacher: Mauricio Torres
2. Wisdom "So God said to him, Since you have asked forthis and not for long life or wealth foryourself, nor have asked for the death of yourenemies but for discernment in administeringjustice, I will do what you have asked..." (1 Kings3:11-12) King Solomon was well known for his wisdom andis still remembered for it, such as the story of thetwo women and a baby.
3. His Reign During Solomons long reign of 40years, the Israelitemonarchy, according to theBible, gained its highest splendor andwealth. According to the Bible, duringSolomons reign Israel enjoyed greatcommercial prosperity, with extensivetraffic being carried on by land withTyre, Egypt, and Arabia, and by seawith, and South India.
4. His Reign Solomon is described as surroundinghimself with all the luxuries and theexternal grandeur of an Eastern monarch,and his government prospered. The conventional dates of Solomons reignare from circa 970 to 931 BC. They derivefrom biblical chronology.
5. Death According to the Hebrew Bible, Solomon died ofnatural causes at around 80 years of age. Upon Solomons death, hisson, Rehoboam, succeeded him as king.However, ten of the Tribes of Israel refused toaccept him as king, causing the UnitedMonarchy to split and form the northernKingdom of Israel ruled by Jeroboam, whileRehoboam continued to reign in the southernKingdom of Judah.
6. Christianity Christianity has traditionally accepted thehistorical existence of Solomon, thoughsome modern Christian scholars have alsoquestioned at least his authorship of thosebiblical texts ascribed to him. This is because, other than biblicalreferences, there are few records ofSolomon.
7. Ask Yourself Analyze: Why was Solomon so rich? Describe: Image how was Solomon’s court Recall: Where do we get most of the references of Solomon?
8. Classwork Remember that when Saul came to power, the Hebrews lived in smallscattered villages in Canaan. With Solomon, the enjoyed a period ofprosperity. Write two paragraphs in which you compare and contrast both rulers andhow they lived.