Newton's Laws of Motion Practice
State the number and law which best explains the following.
1. Exploding fuel expelled from the
back of a rocket propels the rocket
2. You choose a bowling ball with a
smaller mass because you can roll it
down the lane faster.
3. You bang the end of a hammer
sharply on the floor to tighten down
4. A magician pulls a tablecloth out from
under a set of china on a table, and the
china doesn't move.
5. A rocket out in space becomes easier and
easier to accelerate as it travels along.
Hint: About 90% of the mass of a newly
launched rocket is fuel.
6. A small sports car reaches its top speed
faster than a large van.
7. You can exert more pressure on the
pedals of a bike if you pull up on the
8. You step into a boat by the dock too
quickly with one foot. The boat "scoots"
away and you find yourself falling into
9. You turn a corner on a roller coaster at
top speed and your sunglasses fly off
and go over the side of the tracks.
10. You and a friend are roller-skating. You
push your friend and knock him down,
but you also fall down.