Main problems described in the video
It takes them longer to copy from board
They invert numbers
They are slow readers, esp. when reading aloud
It takes them longer to do homework but with not a
They have low motivation for academic activities
They can’t get spelling right even when copying
They are often victims of bullying
They are disorganised
They tend to be forgetful
They have low self-confidence
4 key areas which require direct
• What is it? Phonological awareness is the
understanding of different ways that oral
language can be divided into smaller
components and manipulated.
• Phonemic awareness is a subset of phonological awareness in
which listeners are able to hear, identify and
manipulate phonemes, the smallest units of sound that can
differentiate meaning. Separating the spoken word "cat" into
three distinct phonemes, /k/, /æ/, and/t/, requires phonemic
• Phonemic awareness is the understanding that words are
made up of sounds which can be assembled in different
ways to make different words.
• Phonemic Awareness is a critical Pre-Reading Skill.
Consolidation: spelling board game
• What is it? The ability to recognize the parts
of words and word segments that convey
• Understanding the morphological structure of
words is crucial to developing reading fluency.
• Don't get stuck! Phonics programs are
designed for beginning readers.