View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!Introducing SlideShare for AndroidExplore all your favorite topics in the SlideShare appGet the SlideShare app to Save for Later — even offline
View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new Android app!View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!
Vision & Mission
Core Business Activities
Corporate Social Responsibilities
Founded by Mr. A M Murugappa Chettiar.
Estd with Money Lending and Banking Services, in 1900.
The business was first set up in Burma(now Mynmar) and then spread to Malaysia, Sri
Lanka, Indonesia and Vietnam.
In 1930’s the business was moved back to India to start all over again from the scratch.
Starting with a sandpaper plant, the Group forayed into making steel safes, and then into
Now, Murugappa Group is one of India's leading business conglomerates, the USD 4.4
Into 28 businesses and spread across 13 states in India.
Has a workforce of over 32,000 employees.
Market leader in India across a spectrum of products (fertilisers, abrasives, automotive
chains, car door frames and steel tubes)
Having Joint Ventures with Mitsui Sumitomo, Foskor, Cargill and Groupe Chimique Tunisien.
The Management Development Institute (IMD) of Lausanne, Switzerland, conferred the
'IMD Distinguished Family Business Award' on the Group in 2001.
1900 – 1915
• A. M. Murugappa lays the foundation of the Group by establishing a money-lending and
banking business, with Ramanathan Chettiar in Burma, under the name A. M. M. Rm.
1915 – 1934
• The company diversifies into textiles, rubber plantation, insurance and stock broking.
Expands businesses to Malaya, Vietnam and Ceylon.
1934 – 1949
• Just before the Japanese invasion of Burma in World War II, the company strategically
moves its assets back to India. Invests in steel furniture and emery paper.
1950 – 1980
• New companies TI of India and CUMI are established. Company enters the Financial
Services sector with Cholamandalam Investment & Finance Co.
1981 – 1990
• New acquisitions take place demonstrating the company’s capability to turn around
businesses. Existing companies and new acquisitions are consolidated and the
Muruguppa Group is formed.
1991 – 2000
• e Group is restructured where core businesses are streamlined and portfolios, realigned.
It takes on an aggressive growth path while driving into the domestic market.
• The Group continues to increase its global presence through joint-ventures with leading
international firms. Its domestic capacity is on the rise through new product launches,
newer acquisitions and Green-field projects.
To be the leader in the phosphatic fertiliser
industry, producing high quality fertilisers low
cost giving satisfaction to all stake holders.
To enhance the prosperity of farmer through
the supply of quality farm input and related
services to ensure value for money.
The fundamental principle of economic activity is that No man you transact with will
lose; then you shall not.