By:Raja Naveen Srungavarapu5th Month GDMS, Full sail universityGoal: Game Producer & Film MakerCommittee:Robert KennedyGerard MerrittMalyn Brown
• What are Virtual Teams?• What are the problems faced by VirtualTeams?• What is Virtual Team Leadership?• What are the optimal methods to overcomethese problems?
•Team’s performance can be increased byminimizing Team conflict.•Team’s performance can be increased byincreasing trust and cooperation betweenTeam members.http://www.helpdome.com/static/images/photos/collabration.jpghttp://www.backpocketcoo.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010-Revenue-Goal.jpg
Performing qualitative research to assess arelationship between leadership and team’s performance invirtual teams.http://www.affiliateprograms.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Group-Chat.jpg
• Working virtually on same project from different Placesover different Time frames (Malhotra, Majchrzak, & Rosen, 2007).• Half of Employees in any professional organization werealready involved in working with virtual teams (Wakefield, Leidner,& Garrison, 2008).http://www.awakenyourcareerpreneur.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/bizpeopleonglobe.jpghttp://1.bp.blogspot.com/-NjOEWLm8k0s/Tcbv6gzeFZI/AAAAAAAAACY/juUelF0u4f4/s1600/onsip_virtual_teams.png
Big organizations > Branches, R&D, Customer service, etc…Gaming Industry?http://toolboxes.flexiblelearning.net.au/demosites/series12/12_13/toolbox1213/topics/topic42/images/t42_07a.gifhttp://mmohuts.com/wp-content/gallery/the-warlords-overview/the-warlords-man-city.jpg?ec9f9bhttp://cdn.cpcstrategy.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/customer-service.jpg
• Time, Place and Culture.• Removing common factors like location & culture betweenthe team members can cause disruption in mutual awareness(Cramton, 2001).http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/wiredscience/2012/09/mf-do-the-right-things-at-the-right-time_f.jpghttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/fb/New7Wonders.jpg/276px-New7Wonders.jpghttp://3.bp.blogspot.com/-5PlsIlht2dM/TzQV5XJZeUI/AAAAAAAAAGs/VOMKX5gzo9E/s1600/different+races.jpg
http://meetpablogonzalez.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/iStock_000003537496XSmall.jpg•Leading Virtual Teams is no different (Young, 2001).•Teams depend on Technology and Infrastructure (HR Magazine,2010).•Effective Leadership is the number one factor the influencesthe success of a Virtual Team (HR Magazine, 2010).
http://www.bigisthenewsmall.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/conflict.jpgLocation, Culture and Language enhances Group Conflict.•Leaders be aware of the Conflicts.•Engage Team directly in conflict resolution (Levasseur,2012).
• Know the objective of the project.• Always be Available.• Be sensitive to Cultural differences.• Agree on Communication norms(Language).• Guidance, Micromanagement and Trust (Jedd, 2006).http://images02.olx.in/ui/19/67/67/1358512842_474276067_1-Careeraddmissionproject-guidance-namakkal.jpg
• MBTI Helps to understand people and communicatewell (Young, 2001).• Trust is the basis of cooperation (Thomas & Bostrom, 2008).• Face to Face Meetings and Leadership Behaviors(Wakefield, Leidner, & Garrison, 2008).http://piperreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/CMS-Guidance-for-State-Partnership-Health-Insurance-Exchanges.jpghttp://smallbiztrends.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/trust.jpg
• Any Organization with Virtual Teams.• Leaders of Virtual Teams.http://meetpablogonzalez.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/iStock_000003537496XSmall.jpghttp://toolboxes.flexiblelearning.net.au/demosites/series12/12_13/toolbox1213/topics/topic42/images/t42_07a.gif
• Guidelines for leaders and organizations withvirtual teams.http://www.yiiloo.com/namirestaurant/images/menu/takeaway.png
• Network and keep in touch.• Avoid Tardiness.• Play games.• Learn about making games.• Always be updated with the NEWS around us.http://www.dmfiat.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/advice.jpg
• Cramton, C. D. 2001. The mutual knowledge problem and its consequences for dispersed collaboration.Organ. Sci. 12(3) 346–371.• Jedd, M. (2006). VIRTUAL REALITY. PM Network, 20(8), 58-63.• Levasseur, R. E. (2012). People Skills: Leading Virtual Teams--A Change Management Perspective.Interfaces, 42(2), 213-216.• Malhotra, A., Majchrzak, A., & Rosen, B. (2007). Leading Virtual Teams. Academy Of ManagementPerspectives, 21(1), 60-70.• Successfully Transitioning to a Virtual Organization: Challenges, Impact and Technology. (2010). HRMagazine, 55(4), 1-9.• Thomas, D., & Bostrom, R. (2008). Building Trust and Cooperation through Technology Adaptation inVirtual Teams: Empirical Field Evidence. Information Systems Management, 25(1), 45-56.• Wakefield, R. L., Leidner, D. E., & Garrison, G. (2008). A Model of Conflict, Leadership, and Performance inVirtual Teams. Information Systems Research, 19(4), 434-455.• Young, P. (2001). Leadership and the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator. Program Manager, 30(2), 48.