Reading Comprehension of English
Learners at Secondary Level(S.L).
Curriculum And Instruction
An investigation into the difficulties
of English learners in Reading
Comprehension Skill (RCS) at
Secondary Level in Punjab Schools
• Aim of the Research
• To Identify the comprehension level of new century literature
published in different print media.
• To investigate into the causes of learning difficulties i.e
biological, psychological or social of English learners in reading
comprehension at S.L.
• To review the foundation in English for students at secondary level
and enable them to understand in Reading Comprehension
• To examine the existing role of Government and Private institution
in development of motivation and interest in the English Learning at
• To detect/trace that our English textbook support the reading
comprehension at Various international Exams. i.e IELTS,PTE,TOEIC
,ESOL, TOEFL etc.
The Students in Pakistan learn English as Foreign language, and ,
The Excited level of RCS is low as compare to real required
proficiency level of the secondary student .
The heterogenic combination among educational streams make it
simple to complex situation.
English Practicing Teacher used unrecognized and outdated
strategies to teach the English is in many area and make this Gap
wider and wider day by day.
The Exams of the candidate is to test the General English it doesn’t
support the real RCS skill.
The stereotype and specific study material make the comprehend
ability to rote learning of the Candidate.
Subsidiary research questions
The following sub questions are also formulated to
explore various aspects of the main question:
1. The Exams design by the Assessment Committee
compare with international Exam
2. The other Three(3) skills Of the English
3. The Candidate of Vocational and Technical Education.
4. The candidate of the Distance Learners
5. The Candidate of the Private assessment Board, (Agha
Khan Education Board i.e AKU-EB)
6. The Candidate of Religious Institute i.e Madrasa
Approach, Selected Paradigm & Methodology
3. Data analysis i.e printed media from the
4. Printed matter taken form the Past
Assessment Exams from the bodies as well as
International Assessment orginazation
Population and Sample
All pupil enrolled in the Punjab province at
Secondary School Level in 2012
Male and female Teachers(accessible population)
Male and female Students(accessible population)
Keeping in view the sensitivity of the
issue, participants with reference to their
education and background be selected.
Data Collection Tools
1. Questionnaire for the candidate.
2. Interviews with Specialized design Questionnaire.
3. The Examination of the Papers of different boards of
4. The examination of the English paper of the technical
board, AIOU ,AKU EB.
5. The Examination of the various international
assessment Bodies papers.
6. The paragraph /literature taken for the various
printed media i.e newspapers ,
2.Interviews with the Subject Specialist of
3.Interviews with the English Curriculum
4.Interviews with the member of
Assessment committee of English at various
Boards of Punjab as well as Internationally
Data Collection Plan
By Questioner(Male/female students of government and
Private Secondary School Candidate)
By interview with the policy makers of The members of
English curriculum committee in Punjab
By interview with the international Exams authorities
working in Pakistan
By Exams the last one year English Papers Of eight (8)
Boards of Punjab
The Collection of data from all three
sources i.e general Questioner and
specific design Questioner as well as
Past papers of Punjab Boards and
make comparison with the other
internationally Papers .
• By the Investigative study of all the relevant
material our are able to give some
constructive and positive feed back to the
policy maker to make the Curriculum and I
Instruction System better.
• By this Research our are able to make our
Curriculum and Instruction, in accordance to
the latest and modern methodology fashion.
Bibliography Writing Systems
• The APA (American Psychological Association)
• The footnote system.
Use the appropriate and required format for