2. The poo and wee from the cows gets washed down this concrete
ramp into the pond. The effluent then gets spread on the
paddocks by the irrigators.
3. This is the track that the cows come down for milking. There are
roads like this all over the farm. A worker goes and opens the
gate and the cows come down the track. They will be waiting at
the gate because their udders are full of milk and they know it is
time to be milked. The worked doesn’t need to lead them
because they have been trained and they know where to go.
4. This machine keeps the cows going forward by slowly
coming up behind them. They can feel it on their back and
this keeps them going.
5. This is where the cows wait to go onto the platform to get
6. This is the rotating platform inside the milking shed
that the cows go on to get milked. It holds 60 cows
at a time.
7. This shows where
the cows walk on
to the rotating
one cow can go at
8. The cows are waiting to walk onto the platform.
9. The rubber triangles make the cows legs slip apart so
the workers can get between their legs to put the
milking cups on.
10. The workers put the milking cups on and make sure the
cows are safe.
11. The milking cups go
on the cows udders
to suck the milk out.
They feel like a gentle
The milk goes down
the pipe and into a
giant tank where it is
stored for collection.
12. This is the cows going around the platform. The blue paint
means they are ready to go and see the bull, yellow means
they have been introduced to the bull, green means they
are pregnant and red-orange means they have it had a calf,
13. This is the tank
where all the milk
The small tank on
the left is milk for
14. The worker feels the cows udder to see if any milk is left.
If it empty they take off the milking cups and the cow
leaves the platform. If the cow still has milk the worker
puts a chain behind it’s legs so it can’t walk off and it
goes around again.
15. After they have been milked the
cows come down this ramp and
go back to their paddock.
16. These calves are just a day old.
They are feed milk by a worker.
The worker pours milk into the
feeder and then they drink it.
17. These claves are a few weeks old. Next
year they will be milking cows.
18. he cows get milked three times a day..
There are about 1400 cows on the farm.
A truck picks up the milk each day and it goes to a factory.
At the best time of year about 25 litres gets milked from each cow each da
Between 15 and 25 litres
is milked from each cow
Between May and
August the cows go to
another farm for a
There are three workers on the farm
and the farmer and his family.
The workers get up at
4am for the first
milking and they are
finished by 8am.Facts