The Bill of Rights
Civil Rights vs. Civil Liberties
- Individual freedoms guaranteed by Constitution (Bill of Rights)
- Protect our right to think and act w/o government interference
- GOVERNMENT CAN LIMIT THESE???
How’s that different from civil rights?
- Rights that CANNOT be denied to any group or individual in society
- Protected by 13 th 14 th 15 th 19 th and 26 th Amendments
Which are the following? Freedom of Speech Civil Liberty or Civil Right?
Civil Right or Civil Liberty? Freedom of Religion
Civil Right or Civil Liberty? Women’s Right to Vote?
Civil Right or Civil Liberty? Equal Protection under the Law
Civil Right or Civil Liberty? No Illegal Search and Seizure
Conflicts with our Rights
- Individual vs. Individual
- Individual rights vs. National Security
- Reread pp. 132-133 The Case of National Security:
- In Notes Answer the following Questions:
- What are the arguments for the Patriot Act?
- What are the arguments against it?
- Which side do you agree with? WHY?
- 4. Discuss with a partner
Other Rights in the Constitution
- right of accused to be informed of charges against him/her
- No laws that single out a person or group as guilty w/o a trial
- Cant make something a crime after it has occurred