Understanding the 50 plus
Soumya R Nair
Lancaster MBA 2008-2009
PS: This is a brief version of the complete report/presentation. For
detailed report please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Why is 50 Plus Important?
15% increase in 45 + from 2006-2016…
Total net financial wealth of 50plus... 5000
2006 2011 2016 2021 2026 2031
National Statistics 2007C
Source: ACRS ,SAGA, Abbey Savings 2007
Total value of overseas holiday for older people -> £14.9
International Passenger Survey-2008
What more can we find out?
• Questions we are trying to answer
• How do they book their holidays
• Where do they look for information
• What do they listen to ?
• What do they watch ?
• What do they read ?
• What do they trust ?
• Answers lie in
– Focus group study
– Statistical evidence
Media- Television and Radio preference quite similar to Affluent
How to reach them?
Moral of the Story...
• 50 plus is growing, very wealthy and they love
• It is not one homogeneous segment, but consist
of diverse sub segments with pockets of wealth
• We know what they watch, listen, read and trust,
and some characteristics about their holidays
• To target them, we know their key influencers
• Certain things to keep in mind when targeting
• HX can increase market share in this segment
(currently c.a. xx%) by targeting them more