1. Davao moving FOSSward
Nathaniel B. Jayme
DabaweGNU, Inc. - Member
Lead Developer, Cruxade
2. It's about Community and Collaboration
- Community of sharing existed before the proprietary world;
- It is the basic support of the FOSS ecosystem;
- Promotes independence and discovery of strenthgs in
the locality as opposed to isolation and
- Were weaknesses exist it is where collaboration with other
community is needed to serve the Global Ecosystem of
Who may join the community?
Anybody interested in FOSS.
Community to support and nurture the values and virtues of FOSS.
3. Saying “thank you” to FOSS
- Donation to projects;
- Documentation of the project;
- Contribute code
- Report bugs
- Introduce and assist others in using FOSS.
4. History of Dabawegnu
- Engr. Ricardo Gonzales, considered Davao's FOSS Father
- Started with a series of GNU/Linux sessions
- Registered with Philippine Securities and Exhange
Commission on December 5, 2003
- Aims to provide a venue for technical growth in FOSS technologies
5. Community outreach and awareness
- LTSP Project in Kapitan Tomas Elementary School at Magallanes
- LTSP Project in Davao City Chamber of Commerce and Industries Incorporated
- Knowledge Management System and Website (DCCCII)
- LinuxWorld 2005 : VO-IP and XUL
- 1st Davao Software Freedom Day 2007 w/ USEP FOSS Club
6. Trainings and Seminars
- GNU/Linux Basics and Administration (DabaweGNU lab)
- Introduction to GNU/Linux (Notredame of Tacurong)
- GNU/Linux Desktop – Ubuntu (National Comprehensive HighSchool of Nabunturan)
- OpenOffice w/ Department of Health (STI, C.M. Recto)
- Kape at Linux Saturday Sessions
Object-oriented PHP GAMBAS
Mozilla Programming Framework - XUL Ruby on Rails
IPCop Firewall and QOS
XML Technology and Specifications
Software Version Control Vo-IP
Bazaar, Subversion Virtualization
- Creative Commons w/ Kaiban Davao, Inc (DabaweGNU lab)
- IPR and Creative Commons: KURO Satellite (DabaweGNU lab)
7. Davao's FOSS Readiness
Internet Cafe Association of Davao
GNU/Linux and Internet Cafe Session
USEP FOSS Club (spearheaded by Val Quimno)
1st Davao Software Freedom Day 2007
University of South Eastern Philippines
Presentation with NPTech (Non-profit Technology Roundtable)
PhilHDDRA, AccidentalTechie.net, DabaweGNU
Nov. 26, 2007
Upcoming Presentations with MSITE event (Dec. 07, 2007)
Gutsy Linux (Ubuntu) – Holden Hao
Browser Apps without the Browser (XulRunner) – Nathaniel Jayme
Blender 3D – Marlo Simon “Ragingmon” Noval
Ruby on Rails – Charles Pino / Mark Maglana
8. Davao's FOSS Readiness
Companies using FOSS
Deco Machine Shop
NCCC of Davao
Initiatitives for International Dialogue
Councilor Pete Laviña
9. Opportunities to advocate for FOSS
ICT Davao, Inc.
- Officers and leaders are aware of FOSS and interested in helping
in the advocacy.
- Monthly Teknokapihan
Non-Profit Technology Roundtable
- 1st round table (Nov 26, 2007); planned to become a monthly
meetup of non-profit organizations and technology providers;
10. Current Projects
Cruxade FOSS Project
framework utilizing xml technologies and the Mozilla Programming
Healthcare System (IOSN ASEAN+3)
a FOSS Project utilizing Cruxade for the medical community.
11. Envisioned Projects
FOSS Mentorship Program
provide trainees direct exposure to a FOSS project and immerse them
as contributors with the help of core professional developers to coach
them; trainees in turn are expected to share their experience and
mentor new batch.
A 5-day event comprised of a 2-days 1-track
conference with exhibit and a 3-days training camp
on FOSS technologies (4 courses).
A promotional campaign aimed at encouraging Internet
Cafes to install and make available FOSS to their
12. Recipe for Success
Understand society issues and the bigger meaning for FOSS
Open standards Local ICT Industry
Digital divide Out-of-school Youths
Be constant in your advocacy
Set monthly schedule of FOSS local users meetup.
Be willing to “share” what you know
Opportunity for members to develop confidence.
Opportunity to practice and acquire good
Opportunity to build portfolio and for the organization to serve
Let us collaborate!
13. Come to Davao!
The surest way not to fail is to
determine to succeed.
Richard B. Sheridan