• What ?
o256 Kb/s to 12Mb/s
• Why it is needed ?
o Increase GDP
• Need ?
oAffordable 1 Mbit/s plans with no download limit
“Broadband Internet users: 13 million (October 2011)”
• South Korea led the list with an average of 43 Mb/s,
• Followed by Japan (10.6 Mb/s) and
• United States (4.6 Mb/s).
INDIA = ?
• 1975 - DoT separated from Indian post Dept.
• 1990 - Telecom sector opened for Private investment.
• 1995 - Telecom Regulatory Authority of India
• 2000 - BSNL formed.
• Cost constraints.
• Lack of compelling local content.
• Limited availability, and a fragmented group of industry
• Absence of a comprehensive wired infrastructure.
• Expensive and demands considerable amount of time.
• Absence of smooth progression of technologies
A TRAI estimate indicates that a rural fibre infrastructure to
connect 3, 75,552 villages, for example, requires an
investment of roughly Rs 32,295 crore
Indian Government hopes to provide all 2,50,000 village
panchayats with broadband by 2012 through the ‘Bharat
According to the draft of the National Telecom Policy, the
Government will provide 'broadband on demand' by 2015
and achieve a target of 175 million broadband users by
2017 and 600 million by 2020.
Government was disinclined to share the BSNL
and MTNL telephone networks with the private
sector for service provision.
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.