Bunch of B.Tech Students in Trivandrum T
4th sem, different branches, but equally bored! H
The urge to do something different E
Looking out for an opportunity
What we had in us?
• Some small bit of money
• Enormous amount of guts
• At least one person who is really good at >>
– Crunching numbers
• A great team is most critical to a start-up
• Aug 2005, 5th Semester in College
• Registered a partnership firm, TORQUE
• Got tech guys on board
• Incubated in Technopark, Trivandrum
• Areas of business
– Content aggregation
– Bulk SMS retailing
– Out-dialer server in BPL
• We wanted to
– form a Pvt Ltd company
– hire more coders
– try making more products
– do business with BIG firms
– have an office in Cochin
• In short, we wanted a LOT OF MONEY!
• Angels are the best for a start-up
• Raised 0.25 M USD in Q3 2006
• MobME Wireless Solutions (P) Ltd
• Did all the stuff on the previous slide
• Raised another 0.25 M USD in Q1 2007
• But this time, at 10X valuation!
• Doing all that while still in college, is FUN!
• Team Size - 70
• 2 offices in Cochin & 1 in Trivandrum
• SOHO’s in Mumbai, Gurgaon & Chennai
• Presence in 10 other cities
• Partnered with all leading Indian Mobile Operators
• Server Deployments in more than 20 Telco Data Centers
• Operational Break-even & Q-Q double digit growth
We are achieving scale
• We deliver more than 25M SMS everyday (multiple services)
• Combined TPS on SMSCs of above 2000
• 200M Voice Calls handled over Asterisk & Digium
• We run one of India’s biggest GPRS based subscription service
Awards & Recognitions
• 2006 - Invited by then President, Dr APJ Abdul Kalam
• 2006 - One of India's 100 Innovative Startups.
• 2007 - Finalist @ Lockheed Martin India Innovation Growth Program
• 2007 - Youngest of NASSCOM 100 IT Innovators.
• 2008 - Wall Street Journal 10 Startups to watch for in India.
• 2009 - ISBA Entrepreneurship Award 2008
• 2009 - India’s Most Innovative Startup Award by NASSCOM
• 2009 - Emerge 50 Companies in India by NASSCOM
Core @ mobME
Sanjay Vijayakumar, CEO
Sony Joy, COO
Vivek Steve Francis, CFO
• Dreaming BIG is not a bad idea
• 20 yrs exp or a rich dad is not mandatory!
• There is no such thing as too much effort
• You can’t be unlucky too many times
• Advice is good but decision is yours
• Be open to adapt