Your SlideShare is downloading. ×
0
Multi modal project
Multi modal project
Multi modal project
Multi modal project
Multi modal project
Multi modal project
Multi modal project
Multi modal project
Multi modal project
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in...5
×

Thanks for flagging this SlideShare!

Oops! An error has occurred.

×
Saving this for later? Get the SlideShare app to save on your phone or tablet. Read anywhere, anytime – even offline.
Text the download link to your phone
Standard text messaging rates apply

Multi modal project

33

Published on

Multi Modal Project for English 1050

Multi Modal Project for English 1050

Published in: Education, Technology
0 Comments
0 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Views
Total Views
33
On Slideshare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
1
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
0
Comments
0
Likes
0
Embeds 0
No embeds

Report content
Flagged as inappropriate Flag as inappropriate
Flag as inappropriate

Select your reason for flagging this presentation as inappropriate.

Cancel
No notes for slide

Transcript

  • 1. How literacy relates to critical thinking By: Somora Edwards
  • 2. • “Literacy is a bridge from misery to hope. It is a tool for daily life in modern society. It is a bulwark against poverty, and a building block of development, an essential complement to investments in roads, dams, clinics and factories. Literacy is a platform for democratization, and a vehicle for the promotion of cultural and national identity. Especially for girls and women, it is an agent of family health and nutrition. For everyone, everywhere, literacy is, along with education in general, a basic human right.... Literacy is, finally, the road to human progress and the means through which every man, woman and child can realize his or her full potential.” - Kofi Annan
  • 3. WHAT IS LITERACY? • Literacy is defined as the ability to read and write. Also it means to have knowledge on a particular subject or field. WHAT IS CRITICAL THINKING? • Critical thinking is defined as the mental process of actively and skillfully conceptualizing, applying, analyzing, synthesizing and evaluating information to reach an answer or conclusion.
  • 4. • This graph shows illiteracy percentages with in the USA in 2003 , as you can see down south has the higher rates. • About 85% of the USA is literate leaving about 15% illiterate. That’s not too bad but in todays modern world that 15% will not be very successful.
  • 5. HOW IT ALL RELATES To be able to read and write is important when it comes to critical thinking. Reading is a form of understanding which leads to critical thinking. They relate directly to each other. Being able to read and understand and think critically help you accomplish three goals and these are: • • Recognize the purpose of a subject Understand tone and persuasive elements • To recognize bias
  • 6. This example shows the correlation between the two. If you cant read the statement you cant answer the question EXAMPLE “Mike walked into the kitchen because his stomach was growling.” Just by being able to read that statement is showing that you are literate. Thinking critically: Why would mike walk into the kitchen if his stomach was growling? He went into the kitchen to get food.
  • 7. CONCLUSION • Literacy directly relates to critical thinking, you cant do one with out the other. They both are forms of understanding, to be literate is only the beginning to be able to think critically is what helps you gain a higher form of understanding
  • 8. Sources • http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/tag/literacy • www.google.com • http://dictionary.reference.com/ • http://www.missourieconomy.org/images/newsletter/ • http://www.slideshare.net/JulieGray2011/critical-reading-and-thinking

×