View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!Introducing SlideShare for AndroidExplore all your favorite topics in the SlideShare appGet the SlideShare app to Save for Later — even offline
View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new Android app!View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!
OUR MISSION :
INDOOR ENVIRONMENTAL QUALITY
• GBI points Allocations (table)
WHAT DOES THIS MEAN
POINTS GBI RATING
Part Item Maximum Points
1 Energy Efficiency 23
2 Indoor Environmental Quality 11
3 Sustainable site planning & management 39
4 Material & resources 9
5 Water efficiency 12
6 Innovation 6
Green Building Index Classification (table)
• Energy Efficiency 38 points
• Indoor Environmental Quality 21 points
• Total 59 points
• Certified Green Building Index (50-65 points)
“Introducing the Five Medically Proven Technologies
that can Neutralize Airborne Viruses in Food
Processing and Food Storage Facilities.
Recommended by United States Environmental
Protection Agency (EPA)
Federal Interagency Committee Guidelines”
Controlling Airborne Diseases in
Food Processing and Food Storage Environments.
Bacteria versus Viruses.
Know your Airborne Germs
• Food & Beverage
• Butchery & Meat
• Fruit & Vegetables
• Fish & Sea Food
• Bread / Bakeries
• Cheese & Diary Products
• Spices and Herbs
Types of food storage and food processing environments.
Transmission of Viruses in Indoor Air:
HVAC System Protection Options Federal Interagency Committee for Indoor Air Quality
Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
Food Processing Plant Layout.
- air monitoring is required
- internal air must travel from clean to dirty areas
- high pressure zone : packaging areas
- low pre UV-C ssure zone : shipping and receiving areas
- Add UVC technology !
• Keeping coliform bacteria counts below required thresholds is a challenge
for food processors. Time and costs required to achieve control are
excessive. Coliform bacteria are a commonly used bacterial indicator of
sanitary quality of foods and water.
• Airborne micro-organisms such as germs, bacteria, fungi and viruses trigger
health problems in humans and contaminate raw materials and fresh food
in food production, leading to premature spoilage.
• Air Quality is covered in UK legislation under COSHH regulations and the
Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 which specify that employers owe
"common duty of care" to employees and others who use or visit the
premises. Furthermore the European standard VDI 6022 states that air
conditioning plants should provide flawless air quality.
• In accordance with VDI 6022, air conditioning plants should provide
physiologically beneficial indoor climate conditions and ensure that the
indoor air is of flawless quality. The VDI standard stipulates that health risks
and a decreased sense of well-being caused by air contaminated by micro-
organisms must be avoided.
Contamination Issue. Why is clean air important?
• Air contaminated by bacteria, molds, yeasts and viruses causes
microbial build-up on the heat exchange plates, primary and
intermediate condensate drain pans of the cooling coils and
eliminator sections in air handling units. This affects the system
ducting, causing increased resistance to air flow and a loss in thermal
• UV-C based solutions from Soma Medical reduce continually the
microbial contamination more than 90%.
• We eliminate/reduce the need for manual cleaning of the coil.
• The use of disinfectants / sanitizers in HVAC systems may be
dangerous for workers and the produce it’s quality.
• Our disinfection and sterilization systems are extremely low
How can UV-C Technology improve
the HVAC efficiency?
Other benefits are :
• Increased product yield and safety
• Ability to reduce / eliminate the use of chemicals and/or
• Longer product shelf life
• Reduce customer complaints
• Reduce product returns
• Improve freshness of the products
• Improves the hygiene standards
• Stricter quality assurance
• Fewer product losses results in higher profit
Advantages of UV-C technology when used in
UV-C decontamination systems can be used on a wide range of
raw, cooked, or frozen food products (meats, poultry, seafood,
vegetables, fruits, dairy products, nuts) prior to incoming storage,
processing, or packaging, treatment of food contact surfaces.
• 40% fewer respiratory problems
• 30% fewer mucous membrane problems
• 50% fewer complaints about muscle pains
• Fewer absences due to illness
• Healthier and happier staff
** Dick Menzies, Julia Popa, James A Hanley, Thomas Rand, Donald K Milton. Effect of ultraviolet germicidal lights installed in office ventilation
systems on workers’ health and wellbeing: double-blind multiple crossover trial. The Lancet – Vol 362 – pp. 1785 - 1791, November 29 2003 –
Advantages of UV-C Technology to Improve Health of Staff.
• Micro-organisms are everywhere and have an extremely high metabolism. In a hot and
humid weather the number of molds per cubic meter of air increases exponentially.
• Micro-organisms deposit mucus substances on surfaces which contaminates the food
and causes microbial decay of the products.
Usage of UV-C technology to destroy
The cell nucleus of micro-organisms contains
thymine (chemical element of the DNA). This
element absorbs the UV-C radiation at a
specific wavelength of 253.7 nm particularly
well and changes to such an extent
(formation of thymine dimers) that the cell is
no longer capable of multiplying and
surviving. Less micro-organisms means less
contamination of food.
• UV-C radiation is light at a wavelength of between 280 and 100nm.
The wavelength that is primarily responsible for destroying micro-
organisms is 253.7nm. This has the greatest effect on the genetic make-
up of the micro-organism's nucleus. Our UV-C lights are emit light on a
spectral line of exactly 253.7 nm.
• Special glass is used Soma Medical prevents the emission of
wavelengths below 200nm that are responsible for the formation of
ozone gas. Radiation traps in the system casings ensure that no
radiation can escape outside. This means that UV-C radiation can be
used without any health risk to people or impairment of food products.
• UV-C disrupts the DNA or RNA structure of bacteria, viruses, molds and
fungi, and yeast (including Listeria, Escherichia coli, Salmonella,
Staphylococcus, and other microorganisms).
• UVC is safe to use, leaves no surface residue, and will not chemically
alter food products.
Use UV-C radiation to destroy mold & viruses.
• The food trade & food industry require solutions that are simple to implement without
interrupting production processes.
• We provide standard solutions which can be quickly installed as wall or ceiling units.
• We can also develop customized solutions for specific requirements tailored to the
customer's needs. (UVC lights need to deliver high-output germicidal energy at low
temperatures without loss of efficacy)
• The United States Department of Agriculture and the Food and Drug Administration
have approved UVC for surface decontamination, with no labeling required.
• In 2000, the FDA approved UV-light as alternative treatment to thermal pasteurization
of fresh juice products (US FDA 2000)
Solutions for the food trade & food industry.
• Installation can be done in any type of air handling
system, including those with limited space and/or
• No costly modifications to the air handling system
itself. Is necessary.
• Germicidal effect is virtually immediate and
continuous, as long as the lights are kept on and
combined with Ozone in specific areas.
• UVC lights keep coils , drain pans and other
components clean and free of organic buildup,
eliminating the time, cost, and potential hazards
associated with chemical cleaning programs.
• UVC lights also increase system efficiency, reducing
energy and operating costs. HVAC energy savings of
15-20 percent or more are not uncommon.
Efficiency of UVC systems?
- Lower maintenance cost
- More Healthy processing
- Increased productivity
- Higher ROI and earnings
• UVC is an alternative to traditional thermal processing. Applications include pasteurization
of juices, post lethality treatment for meats, treatment of food contact surfaces and to
extend the shelf-life of fresh produce.
• In the food irradiation process, germicidal UV-C lamps are used in the food industry to
prolong shelf life, preserve nutritional value, and reduce health hazards by sterilizing
• Germicidal UVC technology is a safe and cost-effective method that allows for compliance
with strict local codes and FDA safety regulations.
• UVC light destroys germs on packaging materials, working surfaces and some foods.
• Germicidal UV-C technology destroys pathogenic micro-organisms in water used in the
production of drinks without altering the taste, smell or pH.
In general: application of UV-C in
Food processing and Food storage.
• UV-C technology has a value for the bottled water
market. This market continues to expand as bottled
water consumption increases. Growing concerns
with chemical and pharmaceutical waste entering
our waste water treatment facilities make UV-C
bottled water an attractive alternative.
• applications include pasteurization of juices
• Germicidal UVC lamps are used to disinfect
packaging, filling equipment, conveyor belts,
transport containers and working surfaces.
Packaging consists of lids, cups, sealing and
packaging foils for drinks and cool-chain foodstuffs.
• Application areas : processing, warehousing,
handling, produce department, salad bars, buffets,
bakeries, restaurants, meat cases.
UV-C technology can be applied in a wide spectrum.
Many applications are possible.
IS THERE AN EFFECTIVE METHOD OF
STERILIZATION FOR FOOD AND STORAGE
THE ANSWER IS FOUND
IN THE CONTROL OF
HUMIDITY LEVELS AND
THE EFFECTIVE USE OF
Related sites : www.uvgi.asia
Low Indoor Humidity Increases Droplet
●Viruses Evaporate faster in Low Humidity levels thus creating
More Droplet Nuclei.
●Low humidity allows droplet nuclei to stay airborne longer as the
droplets do not absorb water weight which would cause them to
fall to the ground.
●Indoor Air currents both created by HVAC systems and people
movement assure that droplet nuclei will remain airborne
●This allows HVAC systems to remove and redistribute droplet
nuclei throughout the building to infect more occupants.
What is Ultraviolet Light and How does it work?
Ultraviolet Germicidal (germ-killing) light is UV light in the “C” band (254 nanometres). It
is invisible and is mostly filtered out our of sunlight before it reaches earth’s surface. UV-
C light Sterilizes germs by destroying the A to T bond in their DNA. This prevents them
from reproducing and they soon die.
It was artificially created in the 1880’s and later commercially used to kill waterborne
viruses & bacteria in France in 1909.
By the 1930’s Duke University surgeons
were using in in operating rooms to reduce
airborne bacterial and viral infections. In
the 1930’s and 1940’s UV light was used in
schools to successfully prevent airborne
HOW DOES UV-C WORK?
Ultraviolet photons harm the DNA molecules of living organisms in different
ways. In one common damage event, adjacent thymine bases bond with
each other, instead of across the "ladder". This makes a bulge, and the
distorted DNA molecule does not function properly.
WHY ARE MICROWATTS IMPORTANT IN UV-C?
Microwatts are actually the main dosage unit of measurement for the
calculation that determines the kill rate for every type of disease-causing agent
The microwatt is equal to one millionth (10−6) of a watt.
W µW microwatt
CAN SOMA MEDICAL CUSTOMIZE AN INDOOR AIR
QUALITY SOLUTION PROTOCOL FOR A STORAGE
• LEO-1, 2, 3 series (mobile/or mounted)
UVGI Air Sterilization Unit for Immediate Sterilization
• Optimax40c (ceiling-mounted)
UVGI Air Sterilization Unit for Immediate and continuous 24/7
Off the Shelf Solutions
LEO-1 : UVGI Air Sterilization Unit for Immediate sterilization
Lightwave: UV-C primarily in the 253.7nm wavelength
UV intensity @1 meter: 170 ?W/cm2
Bulb lifespan: 8000 hours operational
Voltage supply: AC220-230V, 50Hz
Power of bulb / UVC power: 55 watts
Bulb length: 21”
DimensionS: 20 x 20 x 58 cm
Ballast (included) lifespan: 20 000 operational hours
Includes a timer setting : 15' 30' 60' timer
(30 seconds delayed when powered on)
Ozone option available
LEO-2 : UVGI Air Sterilizer for continued
sterilization (wall mounted)
Lightwave: UV-C primarily in the 253.7nm
Power: AC220-230V, 50Hz
UV intensity: 65 ?W/cm2
Bulb lifespan: 8 000 operational hours
Ballast lifespan: 30 000 operational hours
Bulb length: 23”
Power of bulb: 20 watts
Stainless steel housing
Ozone option available
Replacement lamps are available.
LEO-3 : Cleanature UVGI Air Sterilization Unit
for HVAC units.
Embed the LEO-3 on strategic
places in the HVAC / Ducting
Lightwave: UV-C primarily in the 253.7nm wavelength
UV intensity @ 1m: 85 ?W/cm2
Bulb lifespan: 8 000 operational hours
Bulb length: 21.5”
UVC power: 28 watts
Dimensions: 120 x 90 x 400 mm
Ballast lifespan: 30 000 operational hours
Power Voltage supply: AC220-230V, 50Hz
PCO inside (with Ozone option)
SM 1152 with Nano TiO coating
Optimax-40C : UVGI System (ceiling mounted)
•3 pieces of 40 watts UVC quartz lamps working at
136 µw/cm intensity @ 1 meter
•LED indicates the working status of each UVC lamps
•Photocatalytic oxidation with Titanium
•Dioxide (TiO ) working in conjunction with Ultraviolet
Irradiation (UVC) at 253.7 nm.
•For continued air sterilization.
Custom Made Solutions:
Installation in air-conditioning and ventilation systems.
- Galvanized sheet metal or stainless steel.
- Main element: radiation chamber
- Dimensions can be adapted exactly to the existing or
planned ventilation channels.
- UV-C low-pressure emitters located in the radiation
chamber emit light with a wavelength of 253.7 nm (no
- Radiation has a lethal effect on micro-organisms.
- Interior coating of the quartz glass ensures an
exceptionally long service life with minimal decline in
- Disinfection rates of up to 99.9%. Guarantees optimum
production or storage parameters for all areas of use.
Custom Made Solution effective disinfection
of air in large rooms.
- self-contained module
- Installation under the room ceiling, intermediate
ceilings, on the wall
- Disinfects air quantities up to 50,000 m3/h
- powerful sucks air in. Filter systems clean the air
before it is treated with UV-C in the radiation
chamber. Integrated radiation traps ensure that no
dangerous UV-C radiation escapes.
- compact and modular construction enables easy and
secure installation in your production rooms
Example of UVC array of T-8 UVC lights on a conveyor belt.
Custom Made Solution.
Ventilation for conveyor belts in the baking industry
In the production of bakery products, contamination with
micro-organisms that accelerate spoilage (mainly moulds)
primarily occurs after the baking process.
To a great extent these come directly from the ambient air
whilst the bakery products are cooling down and during
packaging. The products often cool down on conveyor belts
where they are exposed to the ambient air without
protection. If the conveyor belt is enclosed and at the same
time supplied with disinfected air, air contamination is
practically ruled out.
The air is supplied via an air channel system - a protective
fabric casing over the conveyor belt. The textile channel
system is made of AIRTEX Bioactive fabric and has an anti-
microbial effect thanks to nano-silver that is firmly integrated
in the fibre matrix. The room air containing airborne germs
no longer has any contact with the product. A further
advantage is that the heat dissipates directly downwards
which prevents condensation from forming.
Outbreak control measures might include:
Requiring specific measures to clean and disinfect food facilities.
Temporarily closing a restaurant or processing plant when an outbreak is suspected.
Telling the public how to keep the food free of contamination .
Recalling food items.
Telling consumers to throw away contaminated food from their pantry or refrigerator.
The use of UVGI through out the critical areas of your processing and incubation areas
Controlling an Outbreak
NOT FOLLOWING THESE SOLUTION I.A.Q PROTOCOLS
MIGHT AFFECT THE STATUS OF YOUR ESTABLISHMENT
Why are factories and food processing plants such havens for
Flu and Viral Transmission?
Air-conditioned environments! Many factories and food processing plants have air-conditioning
which dry the air and producing low relative humidity levels indoors!
This is the PERFECT environment for airborne Viral transmission and contagion.
Low MERV Filter Ratings! Many air conditioning systems have low MERV rated filters like MERV 4-6.
You need a MERV 13 or higher to have any real effect on airborne viral capture.
No Ultraviolet Lights or TiO2 Photocatalyst Coating! Relatively few factories and food processing
plants use ultraviolet lights or TiO2 Photocatalyst Coating . Factories and food processing plants
with UV lights combined with TiO2 Photocatalyst Coating have enjoyed lower airborne viral
transmission rates and higher indoor air quality.
Bathrooms with ceiling exhaust fans! I know of no public bathroom design which incorporates floor
level exhaust vents. Wang Kai xi demonstrated the efficiency of toilet aerosolization and
Summary of EPA Recommendations….
1. Seal your filter rack & HVAC system
2. Get the highest MERV rated filter that your filter rack and air
handling fan can tolerate.
3. Put as UVGI lights systems in all critical areas.
4. Consider Bi-Polar Ionization, Photocatalytic Oxidation and
5. Magnetized Filtration Media Technologies for additional viral
6. Install bathroom exhausts 1-12”above the floor.
7. Coughing/sneezing occupants stay at home or wear a mask.
IN CONCLUSION IF WE ENCOMPASS THE USE OF ALL THE 5
TECHNOLOGIES RECOMMENDED BY EPA THEN WE EFFECTIVELY
HAVE A 24/7 IAQ SOLUTION PROTOCOL.
The End. Thank you
SOMA MEDICAL SDN BHD
92A LORONG MAAROF
59000 KUALA LUMPUR - MALAYSIA
TEL: +603 2287 4790 FAX: +603 2287 6790
Main website: www.somamedical.net
Cleanature : www.cleanature.com.my
Uvmax : www.uvmax.net
Medilite : www.medilites.com
Newsletter : www.somamedicalnews.com
Linkedin : www.somamedical.net/linkedin
Facebook : www.facebook.com/somamedical
Download slides via www.somamedical.net/slideshare
Twitter : twitter.com/somamedical