• Creative thought process
• “Wild Ideas”
• Intuitive thinking rather than
• Drive for achievement
• Critical starting point of strategic thinking.
• Clear understanding of each element of a
• True strategic thinking contrasts sharply
with the conventional systems approach
based on linear thinking but it also
contrasts with the approach based on
Three kinds of thinking process :
• Mechanical systems thinking
• Strategic thinking
Determining the critical issue
Example - Overtime work has become a
chronic problem in a company.
A clear understanding of the nature of the
problem led to the creative solutions. By
failing to grasp the critical issues, ends in
failure and frustration.
The art of Strategic Thinking
It is a creative process, the spark of insight is
essential. Insight is far easier to recoganize than
to define. Creative insight is the ability to
combine, synthesize or reshuffle unrelated
phenomena in such a way that you can make
more out of it.
Three essential R's :
• Reality : strategist must be aware of the
customers,the competition and comåany's field
• Ripeness: strategist must consider the
importance of timing.
• Resources : strategist should be sensitive to
their own resource limitation.
Conditions of Creativity
• An initial charge
Example - Yamaha
• Directinal antennae
Example - kazuma tateishi
• Capacity to tolerate static.
Example: Soichiro honda
Stratigic Thinking can be
developed by focusing on other
skills like creativity, mental
productivity and the power of
insight. There are habits of
mind and mode of thinking that
can be acquired through
practice to come up with
winning strategic concepts.