1. Partnering with RIM –BlackBerry Platform andEcosystemBlackBerry Alliances & DeveloperRelations Johan Kremer Head of Alliances for Southeast Asia email@example.com BBMe: 27A9408E 1
2. Partnering with RIM• Ecosystem, Customers, Opportunity• BlackBerry Application Platform• Collaborating with RIM 2
3. Global Opportunity & Reach150M+ BlackBerry Smartphones shipped600+ carriers and distribution partners300K+ app developers40K+ apps in BlackBerry App World • Over 1 billion downloads • Over 3 million average daily downloads • 108 markets and growing, 26 currencies • Carrier Billing with multiple major carriers such as AT&T, Vodafone, and Rogers • Commercial Services including Payment, Advertising, and Analytics 3
4. BlackBerry CustomersAre Social, and Collaborate for fun andbusiness Top 10 Apps Accessed, US2 Accessed stock quotes or 6.7% financial news Accessed bank accounts 6.9% Accessed traffic reports 7.1% #1 +50M Accessed photo or video sharing service 8.4% engagement Top 5 users Accessed news 11.5% Smartphone1 Accessed sports 11.5% +23M 5M information Accessed search 12.2% daily active users +16M new users/month Accessed maps 18.7% downloads +32M 70% Accessed weather 22.7%active users monthly users chat daily Accessed social 29.9% networking 1 Source: http://blog.twitter.com/2010/09/evolving-ecosystem.html 2 Source: comScore – Mobilens Audience Profile Report, U.S, March 2011 (3 month avg)Distimo – May 2011 Report
5. Device & App Purchase BehaviorBuild for BlackBerry 5 & 6… &7 68% of users > fast adopters > high app consumption88% Free app DLs94% Paid app DLs 5 Data from May, 2011
6. Top Free Apps in SEATop Free Apps
7. Top Paid Apps in SEATop Paid Apps
8. BlackBerryApplication PlatformUpdatesPowerful platform enabling developerchoice and compelling user experiences
9. BlackBerry PlayBook Built for Performance and Innovation, Built for the Future• Dual core 1GHz processor with 1GB RAM• True multi-tasking • Built from the ground up for multi-core hardware platforms• Stunning 1024x600 display• Hardware-accelerated Flash video• Class-leading Media • Dual HD cameras • Micro HDMI out with 1080p
11. BBX: One Platform, MultipleDevices• Coming to PlayBook and next-generation superphones in 2012, with easy porting of current PlayBook apps.• The power to target many devices PlayBook tablets The next-generation BlackBerry superphones Embedded systems: QNX already runs dozens of systems in automotive, industrial, medical, networking, defense, security and more• All-new developer tools make the BBX platform the most developer- friendly BlackBerry platform ever RIM Confidential
12. Smooth transitions to BBXHTML5 / Webworks BBX BB OS PlayBook PlatformSmooth transition across QNX devices BBX PlayBook Platform RIM Confidential
13. Our Developer Platform BlackBerry Handheld BlackBerry PlayBook & SuperPhone Native + BlackBerry Webworks Adobe AIR Open JDE HTML 5 / FLEX Source BlackBerry Cloud Services Architecture (BES, BIS, Push, Maps, Payments, BBM, Scoreloop, etc.) BlackBerry OS BBX OS RIM Confidential
14. APIs to Help BlackBerry AppsSucceed Social integration: BBM APIs for connected applications Opportunity in mobile commerce for social buying (wishlists, gifting, sharing deal finds with real-life friends) Push API Opportunity for users to be instantly notified of recommended deals, new items, etc. “We really love the push capabilities from BlackBerry. Our developers need to entice the user to come back to their app again and again…With push technology, our apps are buzzing in their pocket, sending out notifications when relevant content is available.” • Developer Quote BB Analytics Tools to analyze when and how your customers engage with your app Allows developers to optimize their customers’ experience and increase sales “I’ve integrated the Analytics Service API on my latest game. It’s very useful because the API allows me to track which game mode users play most, if a level is too difficult for users to complete, and how much time they spend playing the game in general.” • Developer Quote RIM Confidential
15. PlayBook 2.0 software• Built-in native email, calendar and contacts• Robust enterprise features including BlackBerry Balance to allow management of Personal Liable devices• The previously announced Android App Player• Enhanced Web browsing• The availability of new consumer apps, multimedia and video content• BlackBerry Video Store • 8,000 movies and TV shows available on demand to buy or rent, as well as new movies releases on the same day as DVD availability. • With the built in HDMI output, the ability to enjoy videos on your TV without the need to purchase additional system components RIM Confidential
16. BlackBerry Super Apps Engage your customers more intimately by deeply integrating your business into their BlackBerry device Native App Always-On Personalized & Viral Integration Experience Contextualized SharingEmail, Contacts, Calendar Proactive Notifications Location-Aware BBM Integration Camera, Media Player Automated Updates Social Integration mCommerce Maps, Phone Event-Driven Experiences Simplicity. Connectedness. Relevancy. Discoverability. Intimate Customer Relationship.
17. BlackBerry Messenger 6(BBM6) Developers: Customers: Turn Solitary Apps Social Super Social Gaming, – a new class of Super Sports, Entertainment, Apps Productivity & more• Share app • Monetization: 45M+ experiences– invite BBM users to make friends to join, share apps and content viral content, chat, • Discoverability: BBM users can share apps customize profiles as easily as sending a BBM • Retention: increase stickiness through 17
18. Developer CommunityEngagement & ProgramsA collaborative relationship to createnext-generation mobile social appexperiences
19. Community Programs BlackBerry Alliance New Developer Groups Program• Tiered Program for Commercial Relationships • Independent Software Vendors, System Integrators, Content Providers, Hosters, Professional Service Providers, IT Resellers• Technical Benefits such as: • Application Development Consultant • Smartphone and Software Programs • And more!• Sales and Marketing Benefits such as: • Business Development Manager Paid • Co-operative Marketing • BlackBerry Solutions Catalog • And more! Free www.blackberryalliance.com 19
20. Program OpportunitiesSoftware as a Service (Hosting)Only Associate, Select, and Elite Alliance Members may offer BlackBerry hostedmessaging services. Legal access to special per seat per month licensing as well as the nocharge option of Hosted BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express.Systems Integrators/Professional Services Providers/PlatformPartnersTraining tools exclusive to the Alliance Program to provide your staff with advancedknowledge of BlackBerry Enterprise Server and Mobile Voice System. The optionalsubscription to BlackBerry Technical Support Services for Partners arms you with a uniqueservice opportunity to assist with customer implementation projects that is only available toAlliance Members.Developers – Business and Consumer ApplicationsDepending on your commitment to the program, you will have front-of-the-line access tonew BlackBerry hardware and software products not yet released to the public. Pre-releasesoftware is made available to help accelerate your development time and give you a time-to-market advantage over other developers who are not in the Alliance Program.
21. Program BenefitsOur most sought after benefits, measured by partner requests and feedback,are: Devices – Free Device, Loaner Program, Discount Purchase Program; Beta Programs – Software and Hardware; Software Download Tool; BIS-B, BES, BES Express; Business Development Manager (Elite & Select members only); BlackBerry Alliance Summit; Alliance Membership Logo; and Google AdWords Permission. See next slides for a detailed breakdown of our Technical, Marketing and Sales benefits.
22. Program Requirements - Basic Registered Partner ActivitySign RIM NDA Not Required Required Required RequiredSign the Master Not Required Required Required RequiredAlliance AgreementBlackBerry Technical Not Required Required Required RequiredCompetenciesComplete andMaintain Partner Required Required Required RequiredProfileTo become a member of our program, partners must meet the requirements above and paythe annual member fee. Program automatically renews every twelve (12) months. Partnersare automatically invoiced without having to express their interests in remaining in theprogram. See next slide for Program Fees.
23. Program Requirements: Fees Registered Associate Fee Open for Discussion depending on the Waived For Thai number of apps available Developers Not Applicable for Thailand THAILANDMarket A Includes: All of North America, Austria, Bahrain, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland,France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Guernsey, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jersey, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon,Luxemburg, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Oman, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Qatar, San Marino,Saudi Arabia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UAE, United KingdomMarket B Includes: APAC, Rest of World.
24. Program EnrollmentWhat are the Steps? How to join our program: 1. Go to www.blackberryalliance.com and click on JOIN PROGRAM. 2. Fill out a registration form. Be sure to select the Tier of choice and complete the form in its entirety. There are tips marked with a “?” to provide further instructions during the process. 3. Once the registration form is submitted, your Legal Contact will be sent an email with further instructions on how to review and agree to RIM’s legal documents (NDA, MAA). 4. After the legal process is complete, the Key Contact will be sent instructions for payment. Please note that you will not be considered to be a VALID Member until all steps are complete. Benefits and access to development tools will be made available at that time.
25. Partner Sphere: www.blackberryalliance.com Partners will use this portal to: • find program information and announcements • access program benefits • Manage their accounts Program benefits can be found under the Membership Center tab and Program Benefits sub-tab.
26. Need More Information?Partner Sphere: www.blackberryalliances.co m•This is the member portal where partners and RIM teams go to obtainprogram information and gain access to program benefits.Program Inquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org•Inquiries about the program can be addressed through our globalmailbox. For live assistance with development issues please refer tohttp://us.blackberry.com/support/programs/technical/incident.jsp#tab_tab_application
27. BlackBerry® App World™ 3.0 -Carousel • New Storefront Home Screen withGet Noticed - Merchandising – App World Home Graphical Carousel • Auto Rotates through banners • Each banner can represent a single item or a group of items, e.g. • App of the Week • Disney Games • Banners can be specific to Country / Carrier / Device / Device OS• Organized into Apps, Games and Themes Channels• Quick access to BBID and Payment Options
28. 2011 BlackBerry DevelopersChallenge$3M USD in Prizes – Biggest Challenge Ever!Series of Three Global Competitions– Best Adobe® Flash™ or AIR™ app Closes August 12, 2011– Most innovative BlackBerry® WebWorks™ app on BlackBerry PlayBook and BlackBerry 6 & 7 Closes August 26, 2011– Most addicting social app using Closes September 23, 2011 the BBM™ Social PlatformNew - Six Special Recognition Awards http://www.blackberrypartnersfund.com/challenge 28
29. Registration is now open for BlackBerry DevCon Asia with some great offers:– Free passes worth USD 200– Free PlayBook for all registered attendees– Award recognition of Developer Challenge from Asia
30. Partnering with RIM –BlackBerry Platform andEcosystemBlackBerry Alliances & DeveloperRelations 31