4. Jodie Foster –Pilia Candidate number:7362 Colour code: Blue
5. Pamela Younes Candidate number:7488 Colour code - Red
6. Timeline flashback of of Jodie searching on the Then Jodie gets The third the last internet The second flashback is of flashback, of her about Flashback of Jodie getting and her friends transsexuals Jodie looking shouted at by talking about Shot of and how to in the mirror, her mum for what they want train make unhappy with wearing boys to wear to the coming yourself what she sees clothes and not prom, as she towards look like a applying facial being feminine draws a suit Jodie boy hair 00.00-00.08 00.08-00.25 00.25-00.35 00.35-00-45 00.45-00.55 00.55-01.10 01.10 -1.20 01.20-01.35 01.35-1.42 01.42-Establishing shot 0.2.00 Then Jodie Long shot of Close up ofof the train Close up of facial stands up, Jodie walking feet walkingstation, followed expression after takes one/two closer and towards trackby a longshot of flashback and thenJodie sitting on a an over head shot step then a closer towards and then close up of her the track, thenbench looking at of Jodie thinking, Point of view face another closethe train tracks. followed by of Jodieand then a close another close up up of face looking at theup of her face of face track
7. Backup Timeline Flashback of of Jodie searching on Then Jodie gets the internet The second The third the last Flashback of flashback is of flashback, of her Shot of about Jodie Jodie looking Jodie getting and her friends transsexuals shouted at by holding and how to in the mirror, talking about unhappy with her mum for what they want the bar make yourself wearing boys and what she sees to wear to the look like a clothes and not prom, as she jumping boy applying facial being feminine draws a suit up on it hair 00.00-00.08 00.08-00.25 00.25-00.35 00.35-00-45 00.45-00.55 00.55-01.10 01.10 -1.20 01.20-01.35 01.35-1.42 01.42-Establishing shot 0.2.00 Then Jodie Long shot of Close up ofof the bridge, Close up of facial takes one/two Jodie walking her feetfollowed by a expression after step then a to the middle walking andlongshot of Jodie flashback of Jodieat the beginning of thinking, followed close up of her of the bridge, turning face then anotherthe bridge and my another close towards thethen a close up of up of face. close up of side of theher face. face bridge and then Point of view of Jodie looking over the bridge
8. Genre and purpose Genre/subgenres Purpose of filmThe genre of our opening sequence is • To demonstrate the feelings and emotions ofdrama transsexuals • To extend and possibly change peoples views andThe subgenres within our film are: opinions on transgender• Suicide drama( Main character is suicidal • Allows transsexual people to relate and at the end) understand some of the issues put forward in the• Transsexual drama(She is unhappy with film her gender and wants to change.) • Focusses on hard hitting issues• Identity drama (character is finding her true identity)• Prejudice drama (main character is always forced to be a certain way and isn’t accepted)
9. Conventions Use/develop/challenge Similarities/Differences How? Why?1. Conflict with Use because in most drama films The family are allfriends/family. there is conflict and the conflicting resolution is them sorting it out. with each other because of an issue. The differences is that it is about terminal illness not transgender.2. Follows the Challenge, because ours doesn’t The differences arecharacters journey. really follow the characters that this follows all journey because you only see of the characters snippets. journeys as they learn new things. Similarities are that they are students and experimenting and gain knowledge of different things.
10. Genre conventionsConventions you are Use/develop or challenge? Similarities/differences toapplying in opening How? Why? real films (annotatedsequence pictures)Identity issue Use Boys Don’t Cry- similarities • Suicide attempt because of not finding herself Secretes (transgender out and the dad • Pressure from family and wanting friends to dress as a girl Female to kill to a her maleFlashbacks Develop Memento- similarities • Flashbacks of the Also the characters past memories character • Main character is left is confused confused Having flashbacks
11. Genre ConventionsConvections Use/develop/challenge? Similarities/differences to real filmswe are How?/Why?applying inopeningsequence Film: Slumdog millionairePortrays USE Refers to characters past to explain how and why hejourney of a HOW is playing who wants to be a millionairecharacter The constants use of personal flashbacks, allows the audience to understand how and why the character is in a suicidal situation and the stages of their journey WHY To shows the stages of their journey which establishes characterExhibits real USE Film:Train spotting This character wants HOW to get clean, andlife situation Shows the daily experiences of a transgender person stop using drugs, WHY which is a real life People with the similar situation may be able to relate to situation, that the issues within the film, which is typical of a drama film people faceDramatic USE Film: My lovley bones HOWstory line to The main character is so emotionally unhappy with her This film is about amove the physical and mental state and could commit suicide this young girl who wasaudience is an emotional storyline murdered by her WHY neighbour. This Allows audience to experience a feel of apprehension and film has a moving uneasiness for the audience story line.
12. Genre ConventionsConventions you are Use develop or How? And why? Similarities/differences to realapplying in challenge filmsopening sequenceAbuse Develop When she would get shouted at by her mum for wanting to change her identity. Film: She’s the man  This is similar because…  She dresses like a boy  She does what guys normally do  And her personality and thoughts are like a guy as well  And her mum is convincing her to start wearing dresses and to forget about football.
13. Genre ConventionsConventions you Use develop or How? And why? Similarities/differenceare applying in challenge s to real filmsopening sequenceCrime use When Jodie commits suicide because of her depression as no one gets her and excepts that she wants to change her Film: Man on a ledge identity  This is similar  The person wants to commit suicide  This would be a crime
14. Genre ConventionsConventions you Use develop or How? And why? Similarities/differences toare applying in challenge real filmsopening sequenceRole on the wall use In the outside Jodie is feeling normal but on the inside her thoughts and feelings are completely Film: Mean girls different.  Wanting to make Regina fat, Katies thoughts inside her  And wants her to lose weight from the outside pretends like she cares
15. Target audience• Our opening sequence is Niche because Reason Explanation Not many films have transgender This would be the case because there isnt a wide range of target audience that would watch this type of film Low budget film It wouldn’t be advertised everywhere therefore, not a lot of money would be spent on advertising Independent Only made for specific audience as not many people are interested/comfortable watching this type of film.
16. Target audienceTarget audience details Details Why?Age 15+ It would be 15 because that’s when teenagers would mature up and would realise what they want.Gender Male, female Because male and females could both understand and possibly relate to some of the situationRace/Ethnicity All Races and Ethnicity Because everyone is able to watch it and if they are not allowed it also good to see what people go through even in these situationsReligion All except Christianity and some of because they might get Islam where they would say they offended how they would should be secure. Because they watch something that they would say that theres a cure how it wouldn’t be allowed would be with the same sex,
17. Target audienceTarget Audience detail Details Why?Location In the UK It wouldn’t be in international as it’s a niche audience, and It would only be shown in the UK as it can be restricted in some places because its all about identitySocial Class Any class Anyone can experience the dilemma of seeking there identityInterests/hobbies They can all have different because it wouldn’t stop interests hobbies - All those kind of audience to watch identity films.Social Group All Because the people who are in different groups such as punks can also seek identity
18. Target audienceTarget audience Detail Why?Sexuality All Because this film has to do with sexuality, so its good for both sexes to know what other people would go through and to see what people’s opinions would be.Profession/Role All It would be all because everyone has the right to watch these kind of films if wanted, this would mean more people would be aware about these types of situation that some people would go through
19. B)Target AudienceThe reason why would our The reason our target audience The reason why our targettarget audience would be would be interested in the form audience would be interested ininterested in the idea of our film our film due to the genre conventions• The majority of the target • The fact that a significant • Our target audience would audience would be number of the target be attracted to our film as possibly be transgender audience would be they know it is a drama and therefore they can transgender, means the film, this is due to the relate to a substantial form of the flashbacks recognisable drama amount of issues raised may relate back to their conventions such as within the film the way of thinking suicide and prejudice. situations • The fact that the target• The Niche audience may audience are used to want to learn about these familiar conventions particular issues that may ensures that they will be be expressed regarding satisfied with the film the life of a transsexual
20. Uses Gratification theoryInformation Entertainment Personal identity Integration & Social interaction Can be watched to • People could see this • The audience getting • The majority of the gain information such film as entertainment an insight of a trans target audience will as.. because it is persons life be transgender, this Knowing people something different • People may film will allow them to opinions thoughts and is not really talked understand how engage, as they have about identity about. tough it is to not be in so much in common How people deal with • Also, if people haven’t the right body as they • People who watch our this situation heard of transgender expect film may inform The people who are people before then it • The audience realising people on what they relatives/close to the gives them being trans does not have seen and how person who wants to entertainment as they affect who they like their views and change their identity are learning a part of • Realising not to judge opinions of see how they would them. people on their transgender may have react towards them • In addition they can gender but try to changed, because of and what do they do get entertainment accept different the film would they from seeing what a people • Friends and family of - advice them to transgender person’s those who aresomething better thoughts could transgender may - tell them not to do possibly be. E.g. understand some ofwhat that person thinks of suicide. their issues ofdoing transgender in greater - how would the detailperson deal with thissituation
21. Person 1&2 BBFC ratingOur film would be rated 15+ Standards How you are meeting standards in your film 15 • Strong language • Aggressive behaviour • Be able to understand serious issues
22. Narrative style/structureA) Non linearB) Our opening sequence would be a teaser thatestablishes the character. It is also anachronic whichinvolves a lot of flashbacks.• We decided to create the opening like this so it creates enigmas and makes the audience have high anticipation of what will happen• Get the audience on the edge of their seats
23. Narrative style/structureC) Unrestricted Restrictive narrative- Objective characternarrative-tells all the gives minimal identificationinformation to the information regarding • The viewer is givenaudience and not the narrative. unique access to ahiding anything from • Our opening sequence characters point of viewthem. contains a serious such as seeing things• Our opening enigma, which is if she from the characterssequence focuses on jumps in front of the mind, dreams ortransgender so, an train or not. memories.example were we give • This would influence • our opening sequencethe audience hints is an audience to want to contains a lot ofwhen the main watch the rest o the memories (flashbacks)character has a film. which lets the audienceflashback of herself on a insight.searching‘transgender’.
24. Person Time 2&3 Time ExplanationFlashback • There are flashbacks in our opening sequence which change the linear progression of the story. • We used flashbacks to demonstrate memories of the past • This allow the audience to gain perspective on the eventsDiscourse time(summary) In reality, the scene where the main character is having flashbacks at the train station, happens in 15 minutes but we shortened it to two minutes, and will still get out point across.
25. Strauss Theory• Strauss’ theory doesn’t relate to our opening sequence because there are no villains and heroes etc.• This is because the girl is confused about her gender so there is not right or wrong, its about her finding herself.
26. Narrative Theory- BarthesEnigma codes• Delays the ending/resolution• Sometimes left unsolved• Answer to enigmas contribute to our enjoyment of resolutions (new equilibrium)In our opening sequence the enigmas would be:• If she jumps in front of the train or not
27. Narrative Theory- BarthesAction codes• Codes of actions that lead audience to expect contains consequences• E.g. Psycho which is a horror filmThe action codes in our opening would be:• The audience thinking that the character will jump in front of the train
28. Narrative Theory- BarthesSemantic codes• Meanings of characters, objects and locations• Learn from experience about the denotations and connotationsThe semantic codes used would be:• The colour red on her clothing to represent the danger of herself
29. Narrative Theory- BarthesSymbolic codes• Oppositions and antitheses (light/dark)• Female= close fitting clothes, crossed legged when sitting, female feature e.g. breasts etc• Male=baggy clothing, legs spread when sittingIn our opening sequence we will need to consider the male aspect as the main character will portray being a transgender.
30. Narrative Theory- BarthesCultural codes• Bring understanding and meaning to the text• References to things in popular cultures and historical eventsIn our opening there is not a cultural code portrayed.
31. Narrative Theory Todorov theory also doesn’t exist in our opening sequence because he came up with, that there should be a new equilibrium but the audience doesn’t know what happens at the end as we leave in a cliff hanger so they wont see the new equilibrium Finally, it also doesn’t existTodorov theory has the 5 stages because he says that theres one of the beginning till the end in disruption, but Jodie has more linear order, however our than one disruption, she has 4opening sequence is non-linear flashbacks and each flashback is as Jodie has flashbacks a disruption Todorov theory does not exist in our opening sequence because…
32. EnigmasEnigmas created How WhyWhen the character is It is a build up of The audience don’t knowabout to jump. adrenaline. whether she will jump or not.When the character is The audience are confused The audience startdrawing the suit. as to why she’s not drawing guessing and assuming a dress. things.
33. CharactersSocial Group Represented How Why?Jodie – changing her It would be the people Because it has to do withidentity who are identity and this can show lesbian/gay/homosexual/st how other people would raight etc. deal with the same situationMonae & Amy – her This can be any social Because the friends can befriends group anyone who is friends with the person, that is going through that situationMonica – Jodie’s Mum parents Because the parents would understand what can be best for their children
34. Actors• Main actor: • Actress: • Actress: • Actress: Jodie Foster Monae Amy Cleary Monica (Jodie’s Minors-Gibbs mum)• Availability: • Availability: always • Availability: always • Availability: always available available Most available when when when Saturdays needed needed needed
35. Actors Jodie Foster Monae Minors-GibbsBefore After (in Before After (in(normal) character) (normal) character)
36. Actors Amy ClearyBefore After (in(normal) character
37. Costume for main character Smart/casual black Casual White trainersCasual blue baggy jeans leather jacket(male) Example of full outfit put together Either a cap or a simple woolly hat
38. Hair and makeup of main character/props Natural look, no makeup, and if so very little Hair tied back of face. (pintail)(bun)Computer (prop) Mirror (prop) Pencil and paper (props)
39. Costume for friend of main character (Monae)Skinny, fitted jeans (feminine) Peach coloured top/blouse (feminine) Long black boots (just below the knee) Example of full outfit Short black leather type jacket
40. Hair and makeup of friend main character (Monae) Hair down/out (looks feminine) Lip gloss (looks feminine) Mascara/eyeliner (light makeup)
41. Costume for other friend of main character (Amy) Smart /casual cardigan Leopard print top Tight fitted blue jeans (feminine and girly) Black high heels
42. Hair/makeup for other friend of main character Natural pink Lip-glossMascara (eye makeup) Hair out straight
43. Costume of the main characters mumCasual blue denim jeans Plain black jumper Full outfit of character Socks as she is at based at home
44. Hair and makeup of the main characters mum Hardly any makeup (quite natural) Hair tied back
45. LocationsLocation name & what How to get there Access to location Photos of locationfor From school get Public station openName of location the 18 bus right from 6 - 9Kensal green station outside Kensel green stationName of location From school get Available all the timeJodies bedroom (Jodies house) the 18 bus,Scene-Looking in the mirror whilst outside myapplying fake facial hair house(flashback)-Conversation with friends aboutprom(flashbackName of location From school get Available all the timeJodies living room (Jodies the 18 bus,house) outside myScene-Jodies mum shouts at her for housenot being feminine-Jodie researches transgender onthe computer
46. Risk AssessmentTasks Possible risk involved in tasks Actions to prevent harm to health or safetyFilming in unknown locations Could be dangerous because you Film somewhere you are don’t know where you are familiar with, with people around.Travelling to filming locations Might get lost Travel with people.(bus/car/walk/tube)Interviewing people for Could be offended and not want Definitely ask their permissionfilming to get involved. first.Filming underage (below 16) Child could hurt themselves or get Try to possibly get somebody scared when filming. over 16.Filming anyone Could not want to be involved or Ask permission first or try to filmed and get angry. film with nobody there.Health of group members Could get an illness from being in Film when the weather is okaywhen filming the cold. and everybody is feeling okay.
47. Risk Assessment ContinuedInterviewing an expert for filming Could not want to be on camera for Ask permission first and make sure personal reasons. they are certain they want to be it.Types of area (how safe are they) Area could be dangerous if its Film somewhere familiar and quiet. unknown.Time of day If its too dark could be risky and the Film during the day and start early camera wont be able to pick up the so you have plenty of time. scene.Using technology (filming) Could be stolen by a stranger. Keep it safe and hide it when youequipment get a bad feeling.
48. Website used for free copy right: http://freeplaymusic.com/search/keyword_search.php Person Music and sound 3&4 Music name: Native American This would be played at the beginning of the opening sequence (non-diegetic sound). This would be at the beginning because:  Its slow paced, and there is no tension at the beginning of the opening sequence  Its not up beat, which means the music corresponds with the footage.
49. Website used for free copy right: http://freeplaymusic.com/search/keyword_search.php Person Music and sound 3&4 Music name: Kyrie This would be our option 2 to be played at the beginning of the opening sequence (non-diegetic sound). This would be at the beginning because:  Because its really slow and therefore it would work well with Jodie as Jodie is walking slow and thinking which means there should be calm music  However we chose this as option 2 as its really slow and theres choir music in the background which can disturb the audience, this might make the audience focus on the music rather than Jodie.
50. Website used for free copy right: http://freeplaymusic.com/search/keyword_search.php Person Music and sound 3&4 Music name: Mountains This would be played at the end of the opening sequence (non-diegetic sound). This would be at the end because:  It starts slow then speeds up as Jodie starts thinking whether she would jump or not  This would also be god because the shots gets faster which builds up tension, and the music would have to correspond with the footage for it to make sense
51. The script
52. The script
53. Story board
54. Story board
55. Story board
56. Shot listType of shot Description Prop/costume neededOver head view To show Jodie still Hat, T-shirt, trousers and sitting down trainersMid shot To show getting up Hat, T-shirt from the bench (in the train station)Close up To show the Hat audience that Jodie is about to get another flashbackMid shot Showing Jodie Hat, shirt looking at the mirror
57. Shot listType of shot Description Prop/costume neededClose up Close up shot of the Hat mirror, to show that Jodie is looking at itClose up Close up of Jodie, hat showing that the footage is back to reality, where she is in the train stationLong shot To show that Jodie Hat, T-shirt, trousers and is near the wall and trainers is about to walkLong shot To show that Jodie Hat, T-shirt, trousers and is walking trainers
58. Shot listType of shot Description Prop/costume neededClose up To show that Jodie hat is about to get another flash backTwo shot To show that Jodie Jodie: hat, hoodie, trousers, and her mum is trainers having a conversation Jodies mum (Monica): jumper, trousers, uggsOverhead shot showing Jodies face Jodie: hat, hoodie and Monicas shoulders, that they Monica: jumper are having a conversationLong shot Showing Jodie hat, hoodie, trousers, trainers storming off the room, shows anger
59. Shot listType of shot Description Prop/costume neededClose up Close up of Jodie, hat showing that the footage is back to reality, where she is in the train stationLong shot Showing that Jodie Hat, T-shirt, trousers and is getting closer to trainers the trainShot of showing her Showing the Hat, T-shirt, trousers andback audience that Jodie trainers is looking at the train tracksClose up To show that Jodie hat is about to get another flash back
60. Shot listType of shot Description Prop/costume neededTwo shot Showing that Amy: jeans, top, heels, Monae and Amy are cardigan/blazer having a conversation about Monae: jeans, top, Long boots, prom leather jacketBack shot Back shot of Monae Amy: jeans, top, heels, and Amy having a cardigan/blazer conversation, so the audience can see a Monae: jeans, top, Long boots, close up shot of the leather jacket dressOver the shoulder shot Of Jodie drawing a Hat, hoodie suit for promClose up shot Close up of Jodie, hat showing that the footage is back to reality, where she is in the train station
61. Shot listType of shot Description Prop/costume neededMid shot of Jodies legs Mid shot of Jodies Trousers, trainers legs getting even closer towards the train tracksPOV POV shot of Jodie N/A looking at the train tracksPOV POV shot of Jodie N/A looking at the trainSide view of a long Showing Jodie Hat, T-shirt, trousers andshot looking at the train trainers tracks while the train approaches
62. Group meeting recordDate Time People Agenda Targets Due Notes attended (points to date/deadline discuss)21/2/13 2pm-8pm Whole group Discuss the Did the 25/2/13 preliminary storyboard, script, short list25/2/13 3.20pm Whole group Discussed Had to put 1/3/13 ideas for our together a opening strong idea sequence26/3/13 11am Monae, Discussed Had a 1/3/13 Monae and Jodie and more ideas clearer idea. Amy further Pam and putting discussed. it together1/3/13 3.20-4.30pm Monae and Discussed Change of Discussed with Ms Connell everyone’s idea. everyone in ideas. Change of group storyline.
63. Group meeting record continuedDate Time People Agenda Targets Due Notes attended date/deadline4/3/13 10.40am The group Cleared up Had the full the idea of idea of the the opening opening sequence sequence5/3/13 9.50am The group Discussed Inputs on 8/3/13 the timeline the timeline (planning) and backup plan6/3/13 3.30pm Monae, Discussed Finished 8/3/13 Went Jodie, Amy the storyboard through this storyboard, and script with Pam script
64. Long term Planning
65. Long term Planning
66. Long term Planning
67. Short Term planningDay & time Filming what scene? Travel Equipment/costume/props How will you checklist (what do you get there? need to bring with you)Sat Mar 9 - Filming all the train On bus Camera, tripod, ipad, station scene costumesSun Mar 10 - Filming at Jodies house On bus Camera, tripod, ipad, long mirror (in bedroom), computer, costume, paper and pencil