View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!Introducing SlideShare for AndroidExplore all your favorite topics in the SlideShare appGet the SlideShare app to Save for Later — even offline
View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new Android app!View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!
Savings on the desktop –
an interactive session
For more information go to:
Savings on the Desktop
• This Workshop
– What are the issues?
– Where can cost be removed?
– Some things to think about
Savings on the Desktop
• Where do the costs arise?
Managing an inventory of devices
– Refresh cycles
– Power users: GIS mapping admin; CAD
• may need extra memory; chip-speed etc.
– Netbooks; tablets; iPAD
– Ruggedised devices
– Smartphones – blackberries, windows mobile, iPhones
• Keeping devices and connections secure
• Keeping patches deployed in a timely manner
• Ensuring that appropriate applications are easily deployed,
authorised and updated
• Ensuring that any data accessed by / held on the device is
• Validating information transferred from devices to the
corporate WAN, e.g. photos
• Ensuring that lost devices do not pose a security risk and be
• Easily identifying devices to which a patch or upgrade (e.g. to
a business application) need to be deployed
• “Connection Context”
– deployment of applications
– full application functionality when directly connected to the
– slightly lower availability through secure VPN
– minimum functionality when using and Internet café
• Ensuring that all software is properly licensed
• Managing applications which are deployed to a few or to
occasional users, e.g. Project mgmt, and drawing software
• Ensuring that relationships between projects are managed,
e.g. where an application also requires a license for a
1. Thin client
2. Operating systems
4. Service desk management
a. where are the savings to be found?
b. what size are the savings (£s)
c. barriers to making it happen
Thin client Operating systems Procurement
equipment cost old/variant OSs shared procurement
software costs purchasing by directorates shared services
network infrastructure licensing outsourcing
network management technical requirements licensing
configuration and set-up user requirements/training clarity of requirements
support maintaining old OSs replacement policy
fault/incident management user reluctance to upgrade
security application/OS conflicts
energy costs multiple images
disposal new kit, old OS and apps
OPEN SOURCE. . .
Savings on the desktop
Business-case driven savings
What is the invest-to-save model?
www.socitmconsulting.co.uk ICT STRATEGY
For more information, contact: