JUST ONE YEAR AGO
65X FEWER PEOPLE USED FOURSQUARE
LIKELY TO BE
ASKED FOR THEIR
Strategic Approach to Foursquare!
1 Strategize! 2 Build! 3 Incentivize ! 4 !
Match Foursquare's Search for your venue Reward loyal users, ! Foursquare starts on
functionality with your on foursquare.com. get new customers. mobile but can ﬂow onto
objective: Increased Claim your property. Foursquare's special brand websites, in-store
visibility among early Not listed? Add it so offers practically pull promotions, and other
adopters, sales leads, users can ﬁnd you in people off the street and social web sites.!
more foot trafﬁc, etc! the neighborhood.! into your business.!
• Inventory the Foursquare objectives with your own business
goals. Common Foursquare objectives:
Reach & Preference Action
• Build positive word • Build more walk-in
• Greater visibility of mouth among traffic
within social media social media users
• Reward loyal
• Audience awareness • Incentivize user customers
among early generated content
adopters (e.g. tips) • Increase sales
• Increased brand • Improved search
presence in mobile
• For users, Foursquare is a game
above anything else and that is
part of the reason for the addictive
• Ask any foursquare user and
they’ll tell you about their stats,
the places where they are Mayor
and the badges they’ve earned.
• Be sure your business strategy
taps into the competitive spirit of
• After identifying the objective, install the
Foursquare application on your own mobile phone.
Like many social apps, you have to use to really
• Tell your staff about Foursquare and encourage
them to check in to the venue.
• Foursquare makes this easy with a Staff section
so that you can separate employees from
customers and empower employees to directly
interact with customers.
• Foursquare also allows
businesses to integrate their
venue with other social
networks like Twitter and
• Be sure to link any social
networking sites to your new
foursquare page to utilize
Foursquare social syndication
• Claim your venue on
FourSquare.com by searching
your business name among the
list of registered venues.
• If you see your venue listed,
click “claim” to become the
• If you don’t see your place
of business, you can add it
to the list of venues in the
• Click the “add things”
button on the homepage
to tell Foursquare about
• Now, when anyone in the
neighborhood logs into
foursquare with their mobile
phone, they’ll see your
business listed as “nearby”.
• “Oh, I had no idea Village
Tavern was on this block. I
love that place.”
• Foursquare provides businesses with
detailed analytics measuring the
traffic, frequency, time of day, and
comments posted by users checking in
to your location.
• Track analytics immediately upon
adding your venue. Think of ways to
use Foursquare as an intelligence tool.
• “We have a check-in slump between
3-6pm. What can we do to bring
people in the doors at that time?”
• Use foursquare to build special deals for your users.
You can customize a variety of different offers for your
1. Mayor Specials: this is your single most loyal customer on
foursquare with the most check-ins. How can reward your best
2. Frequency-based Specials: these offers are unlocked every X
check (e.g. Foursquare users get a 10% off every third check in
3. Check-In Offers: unlocked when a users checks into your venue.
(e.g. show your check in to the waiter for a free drink!)
4. Wildcard Specials: always unlocked but the staff has to verify a
special condition (e.g. show us your Newbie Badge to earn a free
1. Mayor Specials: this is
your single most loyal
customer on foursquare
with the most check-ins.
How can reward your
Specials: these offers are
unlocked at regular
intervals to reward and
encourage frequent check
"Foursquare says you've been
here 10 times? That's a free
drink for you!"
3. Check-In Offers:
unlocked when a users
checks into your venue.
(e.g. show your check in to
the waiter for a free
4. Wildcard Specials:
always unlocked but the
staff has to verify a special
condition (e.g. show us
your Newbie Badge to earn
a free night’s stay!)
• Your venue specials will appear on
the check in page of any user near
by – whether they know about
your business or not!
• Foursquare users can browse
nearby locations and see “Hey,
there’s a special nearby. Oh
Hawaiian Coffee & Smoothies. I
could use a coffee right now.”
• Users will often post tips for other
• Become part of the Foursquare
community by reading the tips for
• Business owners are also able to post
tips to alert users to new products or
• Users will see the tips you and others
have posted each time they check in.
• After you’ve nailed the basics –
venues, specials, tips – it’s time to
Socialize Foursquare beyond the
mobile application into all all Marcom
assets – websites, direct mail, pr,
• Consider featuring the Foursquare
venue on the corporate website so
visitors know you’re on foursquare
before they head out the door.
• Beyond the web, let users
know you’re hip to foursquare
as they walk in the door.
• Promote the specials in-store
to alert customers to the
exclusive offers. This is a
great way to increase the
check-ins for newly created
• For advanced users, there are a collection of third party
applications that make use of Foursquare’s data. TurnSocial, for
example, takes the tips and comments and streams those directly
to a business homepage.
OFFICE MAYOR MEETUP
Office Mayor Meetup
Microsoft Australia Case Study
HOW TO IMPLEMENT YOUR
Asia-Pacific Director | 360° Digital Influence
One company that goes with this online-initiated flow is
Ogilvy Hong Kong
Ogilvy Public Relations. p +852 6397 1662
Regional Director | 360° Digital Influence
25 China Experts you should follow on
Twitter… Thomas Crampton
p +61 2 8281 3853
Regional Strategy Director | 360° Digital
Ogilvy Hong Kong
p +852 9661 0998
Ogilvy's digital specialist Brian Giesen outlined the
best strategies for getting business results on social
networking site Twitter.
For case studies...