How and Why Companies are Using Social Media
MCA-I Spring Seminar: Social Media For Business
4/22/2010 DRAFT mmartinez
Overview: Social Media Landscape
Facebook: “The largest referral network in the world”
“Friend to friend” social network. Sharing updates, notes, photos video,
interests. Games and applications. Robust privacy settings.
Twitter: “The loudest referral network in the world” (listen to consumers)
Public social network for sharing updates. Limited privacy settings.
LinkedIn: “The most powerful business networking tool in the US”
A business-to-business social network. Find and leverage business
contacts. Ability to “buy in” for more accessibility.
FamilyLink: “The largest Family-Centric network in the world”
Family-only social network. Sharing updates, photos video and more.
Know Your Target Market
• Too Busy ‘Facebooking’ to Tweet:
• "I'm not on Twitter but I am on Facebook - a lot - way too much - love
it, but trying to cut back."
• "I have never looked into Twitter because I spend way too much time
• "There are just too many social websites out there to choose from. Just
like search engines. I am happy where I am and that is at Facebook
and MySpace and do not see the need to broaden my horizon. I will
never get anything done if I sit and play forever. And trust me....that
would be great if I could do so."
Social Media at American Family Insurance
Guiding principle: Celebrate & protect families
• Engage our fans with content that celebrates this
• Introduce our brand to prospects who are making
• Gain awareness and consideration among families by
sharing relevant content that celebrates and protects