Social media consumption
4. Social is Mobile
SOURCES: ere.net, Mashable, TechCrunch, comScore, Pew, others.
70% 80% 30% 30% 35%
35% 45% 100% 100%
5. Mobile is BUSY
the Desktop Hour
the Mobile Hour
6. Thinking “Mobile First”
• Behavior, before technology
• Convenience and brevity
• VISUAL STORYTELLING (and paid)
– High quality images…go further
• AVOID LARGE FILE SIZE (data concerns and connection
– Right-size your images, rectangles not squares
• VISUAL LISTENING:
– Image Recognition
– Geo-coded/tagged content
8. Links and Websites/Blogs
• Only post links that are mobile-friendly – you
may lose half of your social audience over
time, if you do not.
• Link directly to the action that a social post
implies, as mobile users hate multiple clicks
9. Facebook – Tab Apps
Emulate tab apps in
posts using a “click
sniffer,” then diverting
to a appropriate
connect telling you
“who” to make things
more relevant and
10. Facebook Local Search
(formerly “Facebook Nearby”)
Posting/Reposting aligned with audience behavior
13. Twitter for TV
Plan content around television:
• Scheduled events and programs
• Hashtags related to shows, sports, events…
• Actionable content:
• Participant content:
– Trivia, polls, scavenger
• In-video text size must be sufficient for smaller
• Keep it short, to-the-point…
• Remove background noises in your audio
(mobile viewing/audio is compromised)
• Close-ups for clarity
• Place URLs to related videos/sites within the
video description…aids in navigation.
Drive action (website visits, app downloads, online
purchase) through video and the video description:
• Dramatically increase clickthroughs
by moving the URLs closer to the
beginning of your description.
• Make in-video URLs as LARGE as
possible to be seen on handheld
16. Pinterest for mCommerce
purchase site URLs
in images and/or
ensure those sites
17. Location-based listening & action
• Twitter – Geo-targeted (promoted) Tweets to let consumers
know about retail offers that vary on a store-by-store or
• Facebook Local Search – discoverability based on friends
recommendations, ratings, location-tags and likes. Include
coupons, deals and share promotions on those pages.
• All social – align escalation and “engagement”
protocols, online-to-offline, offline-to-online.
• Text Messaging (Rich Media)
• EMAIL (#2 only to text messaging)
• It’s a PHONE!! And, the human voice
21. What’s Next (Now)?
• True media attribution/measurement
• Facebook Ad Exchange…?
• Facebook is testing mobile payments. (in addition
to other 3rd party payment relationships)
• Mobile commerce/wallets will link to/reconcile
social media activity.
Thank you, Social Fresh West!