Diversity and Inclusion like most words have a dictionary meaning that is pretty uncontroversial. It is when we start to translate the meaning that we start to translate and implement the meaning of that word that differing viewpoints occur. Law schooll is going to teach you that. The difference between the letter of the law and the spirit of the law.
One reason that you should care about it now is because come of your work will be in a group setting “ mock trila, mooot court, writing on a journal , joining a group. Inevitably wyou will be working with people who are different in many ways from you. You need to care because their perspective and backgrounds will broaden your own thinking. Itn may prepare you for the future
Image (law school, moot court, mock trial, clubs, study groups, student governemnt, law school sections, etc)
Part of being in law school is to see all sides of a debate but advocate your own. Part of your comprehension should move beyond the books to having experiences with people who are different than you. It give you the ability to empathize and to strategize
Human Nature Neat and Tidy Subliminal Applies to almost everything
Note that this is non sensical
Color + image
Note the double reinforcement of color and word
What I found out about myself is that I have a slight preference toward whites. Makes sense given my background and up bringing.
Have to stop being absolutist Push ourselves to learn b/c we see the advantage in doing so Question our ignorances To ourselves – 3 E's - Expose our bias Explore our internation and group surrounding Seek explanations of how the world looks and operates from different vantage points than our own Stories- Ramadan from Nada ALS holding Islam Day last year with record attendance
This is about tappling your intellect and your emotional inttelligence muscle to operate in one on one relationship and group work settings.
You have the chance to be the first class that wholeheartedly implements this in the schooll. Some of your fellows students do support it and some do not. Those who do not are in the minority. Those who do not are not being successful in getting positions. Those who do not are offending their fellow students. You have the chance to raise the difficult conversations with others. You have the chance to be the teacher. You have the chance to learn and have the leg up.
1. Inclusion is the next frontier By Ericka Hines Social Change Diva August 2011
3. What we have in common and what makes us different DNA| BACKGROUNDS|EXPERIENCES
4. It is personal.
7. Diversity Inclusion Interstate Commerce What do they have in common?
9. <ul><li>Derived from the word- “diverse”. </li></ul><ul><li>It is the condition of being diverse. </li></ul><ul><li>Composed of distinct form or qualities. </li></ul><ul><li>~Merriam Webster </li></ul>
11. <ul><li>The act of being included within a group or structure. </li></ul><ul><li>Belonging to a group or organization. </li></ul><ul><li>~Oxford English Dictionary </li></ul>
12. Being asked to the dance Being asked to dance Diversity Inclusion
13. This is the present and future of the workforce
14. <ul><li>Professionally... </li></ul><ul><li>This is a part of your life in law school. </li></ul><ul><li>Personally.... </li></ul><ul><li>Our social lives are more interdependent </li></ul><ul><li>NOW </li></ul>
16. <ul><li>Professionally... </li></ul><ul><li>In your career, you will have numerous opportunities to work with people who are different than you </li></ul><ul><li>Personally... </li></ul><ul><li>With technology, our work and personal lives will become more global and interdependent </li></ul><ul><li>FUTURE </li></ul>
35. You think that because you understand ONE you understand TWO because one and one makes two. But you must understand AND. -Sufi
36. A major finding:
37. Sexual Orientation|Age|Religion
39. Why so bad?
40. Once you label me you negate me. -Soren Kierkegaard
41. If everyone is biased Then what we can do about it ?
42. Acknowledge it Accept it Push our learning 3 E's- Expose, explore, explain
43. Skills Setting Support
44. Active Listening Relationship Building Difficult Conversations Collaboration Risk Taking
45. <ul><li>Programs </li></ul><ul><li>Investment in future generations </li></ul><ul><li>Affinity Groups </li></ul>
46. Everybody is sitting around saying, 'Well, jeez, we need somebody to solve this problem of bias.' That somebody is us. We all have to try to figure out a better way to get along. ~Wilma Mankiller