Before we start: Quantity vs Quality of followers What is more important:■ Get a really high number of followers?■ Get followers that are speciﬁcally interested in your topics?
1. Provide interesting and relevant content.■ What content is interesting for your followers?■ Find the right mix of content. ■ Messages, Links, Videos, Articles and “soft” issues■ What topics are trending?■ Respect copyright and reference your sources.
2. Be professional and creative with your proﬁle■ Choose a name that appeals to your followers■ Upload a picture that reﬂects you■ Let the people know where your location is■ Provide a link to your website■ Describe yourself in the bio
3. Follow people that you want to follow you■ Follow those that you want to follow you: stakeholders, journalists, inﬂuencers…
4. Interact with people you ﬁnd relevant■ Retweet messages from interesting users■ @-reply users that you regard as strategic partners■ Ask followers to retweet your content by adding RT to your tweets
5. Build strong relationships with inﬂuencers■ Be relevant when you reach out to inﬂuencers and add value to conversations■ Provide additional information to trending topicsWhat tools can you use to ﬁnd inﬂuencers?
Social Mention is a social media search and analysis platform that aggregates usergenerated content from across the universe into a single stream of information.
Klout measures inﬂuence online. When you recommend, share, and create contentyou impact others. Your Klout Score measures that inﬂuence on a scale of 1 to 100.
6. Be patient■ Find the right balance between asking for support and support inﬂuencers■ Building strong relationships takes time7. Offer exclusive content for Twitter Followers■ Maybe you can release a preview of a publication on Twitter■ Share some results only with Twitter followers
8. “Live” Tweet from Events■ Use Twitter to Tweet from interesting events or shows■ Tailor your message to a speciﬁc audience9. Offer Twitter Q&As with Experts ■ Offer users the chance to ask questions about speciﬁc topics■ For Example, use International Women’s Day to hold a live Q&A about gender issues■ You can also use public events, such as the Eurovision Song contest or FIFA Worldcup etc.
10. Use Hashtags to ﬁnd a wider audience■ Tag common topics with the # sign■ Use themes, such as #SahelNOW or #FF■ Find the balance between readability and participation
11. Integrate Twitter in your traditional communication■ Integrate Twitter into your website■ Integrate Twitter in your email■ Integrate Twitter in your print products
HootSuite is a social media management system to collaboratively executecampaigns across multiple social networks.
For questions or more information, please contact:Social and Civic Media Sectionsocialandcivicmedia@unicef.org