What PR really does…
Chartered Institute of PR (UK)
• Program planning – analyzing problems and
opportunities, defining goals, recommending and
planning activities and measuring results. Liaising
with management and clients throughout.
• Writing & editing – shareholder reports, annual
reports, press releases, film scripts, articles and
features, speeches, booklets, newsletters.
What PR really does
• Media relations – developing & maintaining good
working contact with the media. This involves applying
knowledge of how local and national papers,
magazines, radio & TV work as well as the special
interests of journalists.
• Corporate identity – developing and maintaining an
organization’s identity via corporate advertising,
presenting the company’s name and reputation rather
than its products
• Speaking – communicating effectively with individuals
and groups including meetings, presentations and
What PR really does
• Production – brochures, reports, film and multi-media
programs are important means of communication.
Coordination of studio or location photography. Sound
knowledge of techniques for supervision is necessary.
• Special events – news
conferences, exhibitions, facility celebrations, open
days, competitions and award programs are all used
to gain the attention of specific groups.
• Research and evaluation – The first activity
undertaken by a PR practitioner is usually analysis
and fact gathering. A PR program should be evaluated
as a continuing process and measurement is used to
decide future strategy.
Essential skills for pr person
• Analyze management needs
• Counsel management
• Identify causes of problems, analyze future trends and predict
• Research into public opinion, attitudes and expectations and
advise on necessary action
• Plan, organize and coordinate tasks
• Monitor and follow up
• Set goals and objectives
• Motivate & influence others
• Write & edit press releases and reports
• Work effectively with journalists
• Identify major social issues affecting organizations & to
And each with their
own nature, dynamics,
In PR, there are...…
We‟ll dive in to...
• The Old vs. The New Rules of PR
• What is story telling & why is it important
• Why good content matters
• Understanding your „buyers‟
• How to build awareness internally & externally
• Grasping social media
• Why blogging
and also in to...
• Website concepting
• News release & New media room
• Creating video & audio content
• Developing & managing PR strategy
• Industry‟s best practices
• Managing overall PR campaign from a PR
Let‟s set our expectations straight!
Be updated with current news & events
• Start using social media actively
• Start writing
• Each week, 3-4 people will write one short
article (300 words max) and publish it on the
• Others are obliged to comment – constructive
• Topic will be discussed & decided together.
• Besides weekly writing, the class blog will be
used as a platform to share weekly materials,
case studies, etc.