AB Education has given Alberta Regional Professional Development to support teacher to teacher connections. This is recommendation 5 from The Learning Mosaic “ Invest in province-wide networks that cut across districts, that reach beyond annual conferences and that incorporate proven design principles of effective network architectures that have clear, positive impacts on system-wide outcomes for students.” The grant is not a large grant when it come to putting it on a provincial scale. $190,000 is not a large sum on money.
The support is not to develop whole new projects but support initiatives where other districts could be invited to share or help develop resources. The project is vague by design as we want to allow you to be creative.
The requests for support are to be completed on line. This is not intended to be a long and elaborate process. Our idea is that this may take a couple of hours. The intent is to get teachers working with teachers and not coordinators working with coordinators.
Here are a couple ideas. It could involve face 2 face meeting then again it could be all done electronically. How do we decide how the money will be awarded?
A committee of stakeholder representatives will review the applications using the rubric. Keep this rubric in mind as you prepare your request for support – remember the emphasis is on teacher working with teacher especially when cross division work.
There are two intake periods for submission of requests – allowing you to build relationships if they do not already exist. A second opportunity to meet face to face will occur in conjunction with the AISI conference in February.
If we can legitimately show that this has value, we do learn, our hope is that this would continue next year and if we can build a case more money and opportunities would be available.
This is a lot like building and airplane as it is in flight, adjustment will need to be made to respond your needs, look forward to working with you. Talk to your AISI managers and happy networking.
1. Supporting Teacher to TeacherConnections
2. Creating and enhancing opportunities to shareresources and expertise across the province!Focus is on three key areas :1) Research leadership (data and measures, analysis)2) School Community Engagement3) Cross-School Authority Projects
3. Request for supportTo request support complete the online form at: http://bit.ly/RfC7RS Providing support to build lateral capacity
4. Scenarios • Scenario A: • Scenario B: In reviewing AISI projects on the During the networking break at a Sharepoint that have themes similar to conference or PD event, teachers from a theirs, three AISI coordinators, Kevin, jurisdictions in the south and one from the Sharon and Wendy connect, and decide north realize have a similar questions that some cross-school authority sharing about working with data. The teachers would be of great benefit. They each from Lethbridge public have done some discuss the idea with a keen cohort of work with an expert and were wondering teachers in their area and then how to leverage that work in their AISI coordinators and teachers connect via VC data collection/analysis in support of their to create a preliminary plan. Wendy project. The teachers from Fort McMurray wonders if they could meet at the Literacy public feels that connecting with Laura conference to talk about what they are Lipton would also further their work, so doing, what they have learned so far, what they decide to meet via Skype the they hope to achieve and what kinds of following week to brainstorm some ideas. professional learning they are going to be They check with their local consortiums involved with. Kevin and Sharon don’t have but neither has plans to bring in Laura the funding they need to attend the Lipton for that purpose in the near future. Literacy conference. They decide to apply Together with their consortium reps, they for funding to attend the conference to explore the potential of bringing the expert meet up with SA 3, and in support of that in for a series of 2-3 webinars or Skype application, create a plan that includes meetings to coach them, using their own what they will do before, during and after data, and having the expert follow up with the conference to support continued a commitment to provide a weeklong collaborative learning. period of Q/A discussions on data collection/analysis in the Networks online CoP with support from the Networks Funding.
5. Assessment Criteria Question Most Impactful Moderately impactful Least Impactful 3 2 1Who is the primary contact for this teacher coordinator expertopportunity?Who will be involved from the AISI Majority are teachers from across province or Teachers and AISI coordinators/administrators AISI coordinators/administratorscommunity? majority are teachers within our region/zone across Alberta or teachers and coordinators/administrators within our region/zoneHow do the goals of the opportunity Sharing knowledge/expertise/resources on a Working group facilitated by an expert Attend a content-driven session led byalign with your AISI project(s)? common interest/area of inquiry expertBriefly describe how this meeting was initiated by teachers and AISI coordinator Brokered by PD providers (ARPDC, AAC, ATA) in initiated by facilitator/expertinitiated and by whom. consultation with AISI teachers/coordinatorIf this meeting will involve afacilitator/expert please providecontact information.Choose the priority below, if any, that Cross school authority projects Research leadership or school community Other - e.g. instructional strategiesaligns with the goals of the engagementopportunity.Describe briefly what work has been Teachers and/or AISI coordinators have met and AISI coordinators and/or PD providers have met Informal discussions between teachersdone in advance of this opportunity. created a collaborative plan for working together and have developed a collaborative plan to work and/or AISI coordinators. together.How does the group anticipate Follow up includes technology-mediated Follow up requires further Network funding No follow up planfollowing up on this opportunity? strategies, uses other funding and/or in person meetings during other scheduled events/meetingsProvide an estimated budget for the Some in kind support, all possible efficiencies Some efficiencies realized, no in kind support Large % of budget on travel, sustenance,opportunity. realized, cost/participant is reasonable cost/participant highCan we share an invitation via the AISI Yes - open No - closedonline community, ARPDC websites orother communication channels?Additional info Additional information closely aligned with the Additional information somewhat aligned with Additional information loosely connected goals of the Network(s) the goals of the Network(s) to the goals of the Network(s)Total points
6. Assessment CriteriaRequests will be reviewed and funds allocated intwo blocks for the 2012-2013 school year: October and November 2012. February and March 2013.
7. Reporting• Fund recipients will be required to complete a brief online questionnaire at the conclusion of the opportunity supported by grant funds.• We hope that you will share pictures, tell stories and find ways to demonstrate the impact that this funding had on helping you to: BUILD TEACHER TO TEACHER CONNECTIONS!
8. Get ConnectedJoin the provincial site at: aisinetwork.ning.com