• She wrote poems and short narratives on chivalry and courtly love
• In 1390 Christine worked on her first mature works Le Livre de La mutacion de fortune and Le Livre du chemin de long éstude.
• Through Christine’s writings she was able to impress influential figures.
• She became an important spokesperson for women and their rights.
What Do We Learn About The Lives of Medieval Women From Her?
• They didn’t have any rights.
• Few women got educated
• Men had all the rights, had the most power and “were better than women”.
• Men thought of women as devious, domineering, and demanding.
• Christine tried to change their view on women
How Did She Achieve What She Did? • After her husband and father died she turned to writing to support herself and her family. • She used patronage to earn money as well. ( patronage : dedicating a book to a wealthy personage and receiving a large sum of money in return)
What were some of the barriers she had to overcome?
• Her close ones (Her father and husband) died at young ages in a very short period of time
• Because of her much loved husband’s death, she had to provide for her children and herself – became a famous author
• She had to overcome the misogynists (men who hate women) that were angry at her success – she wrote more books in a women’s point of view