2. Me in 30 Seconds I am a determined individual who places great significance on hard work andintegrity. I am goal driven and motivated to always improve myself and those around me. I desire to further my expertise with business through applying myself with startup companies
3. Essays• What matters most to me – A hard work ethic that I have developed since my youth• What disciple leadership means to me – A leader who lives by example i.e. Jesus Christ – To continue the process of becoming a disciple leader I strive to follow the promptings of the Holy Ghost to help others around me come closer to our Savior• My three most substantial accomplishments – Married my wife Leslie (2012-Eternity) – Served an LDS mission (2007-2009) – Joined the United States Marine Corps Reserves (2006-Present)• Why I chose to study business at BYU‐Idaho – To build up or start a business is my passion – My wife and I were inspired to come to BYU-I – BYU-I has the potential to teach me how to do business the Lords way
4. Return by Elder Robert D. HalesI was inspired by the life experiences that Elder Hales shared throughout the book. I received awitness that as I live the gospel and put the Lord first, others second, and myself third then I willhave more success and joy than is obtainable by any other means.
5. Articles• Whole Soul as an Offering: Elder David A. Bednar – I realized that right now is the opportunity for me to put a reliable and powerful engine inside my sports car or get the most out of my education rather than to aspire only to get a degree• Steady Upward Course: President Henry B. Eyring – It is a blessing to attend BYU-Idaho and I can learn from the principles that the institution is built upon such as the honor code and frugality• Disciple Preparation Center: Elder David A. Bednar – BYU-Idaho is a university not only of undergraduate degrees but also place to prepare for the Lords work.• How Will You Measure Your Life: Clayton M. Christensen – We do not go to college for business only to learn investments and transactions but also to build others up.• Making a Living and a Life: Elder Lynn G. Robbins – I need ensure that I do not get caught up in the race to the top but to put God first in all things.
6. Career Leader Assessment• Interests – Enterprise – Influencing others – Coaching or mentoring• Motivations – Lifestyle – Altruism – Power and Influence• Skills – Interpersonal effectiveness – Power and influence – Analysis and strategic decision making• Career Matches – Management – Development – Research
7. MentorKyle Kinghorn: President/Sole Proprietor of Citius Composites– A composite company started in 2010 focuses carbon fiber based products.– Kyle takes orders from clients then designs the product and manufactures them while ensuring that the highest of quality is maintained and in a highly efficient amount of time.– Since it is a startup company Kyle has had to stretch his skills beyond his Masters degree in Manufacturing Engineering and develop skills in accounting, marketing, designing, and more.– Kyle enjoys having the freedom of pursuing what he will owning his own company but struggles with having the variety of machinery to produce all the products that all potential clients would like.– Afterwards I am more inclined to look to start my own company seeing the possibilities, risks, and rewards that can come.
8. Summary My long time decision to pursue adegree in Business Management hasbeen reaffirmed in the conclusion of developing this portfolio.