1. Advent and Christmas Information St. Mary Magdalen School Grades 5-7
2. Advent Notes The liturgical season of Advent extends for 4 weeks. Advent is a time of preparation for Christmas. The word messiah means anointed one. The advent wreath is a symbol of the expectation for the coming of Christ.
3. Advent Notes The colors of the Advent candles are 3 purple and 1 pink. The church celebrates Jesus’ first coming, the Incarnation, at Christmas. God’s chosen people were the Israelites. The prayer, the Gloria, that we usually sing on Sunday is omitted on the Sundays of Advent.
4. Advent Notes From December 17 to December 24, we pray the psalms called the O Antiphons. The name “Lucy” means light. The word “Christmas” originated from the Old English phrase meaning Christ’s Mass. Jesus came to be a model of holiness for us so that we might someday be with him forever.
5. Advent Notes The accounts of Jesus’ birth and childhood found in the first two chapters of the Gospels of Matthew and Luke are called the Infancy narratives. On December 8, we celebrate the feast of Mary, the Immaculate Conception, patron of the United States and a holyday of obligation.
6. Saints of Advent December 6- St. Nicholas, patron saint of children. December 9- St. Juan Diego, a visionary who saw Our Lady of Guadalupe. December 12- Our Lady of Guadalupe, patron of the Americas. December 13- St. Lucy, patron of Sweden, eyes and light. December 14- St. John of the Cross, doctor of the Church.