Transcript of "Engaging online audiences, the case for video in business"
Engaging Online Audiences:
The Case for Video in Business
Founder & Chairman
HuStream Technologies Inc.
Who we are?
Focused on Communication
Creator of Conversational Video Apps
– Blends technology, methodology and human psychology
– Creates dialog with multiple personas
– Replicates your best spokes person
Why use video?
Supply & Demand - increasing exponentially
– 80,000,000 Hours Consumed Every Day (Globally)
– USA 83.1% of the online population (174m) watch video
– 70% increase in web video (2008->2009)
– 1200 years of new video/year uploaded to YouTube
– Video will make up 91% of all internet traffic by 2014
Why use Video?
Experts see value
• Influential in Product Purchase
– 76% of respondents found video to be influential
– Publisher’s Assoc. found that 52% of people had taken action as a
result of a video.
• Video is 2nd to Word of Mouth
– online video is only second to word-of-mouth for its ability to
influence decision makers in every stage of the consideration and
• Improved SEO
– videos are 50x more likely to be on the first page of any given search
Industry Standards - Video
Viewer Engagement time
Average time viewer watches a video 38 seconds
Average time spent watching video on:
Facebook 1:44 minutes
referred from Twitter 1:45 minutes
referred from Google Search 1:32 minutes
YouTube 3:17 minutes
Some advertise top average engagement time 1:20 minutes
“Expect to lose 20% of
your audience within the
first 10 seconds of
“Viewers are equally
likely to leave after 30
seconds of viewing
regardless if they are
watching a 2 or 5
The key question?
• SEO helps to get you seen but in this world of
How does your content get heard
New Industry Standard
HuStream sees the world of video differently….
– Technology alone can bring you to 45 seconds.
– Combine your understanding of people, what they crave,
and then give them control and respect…
5-8 minutes becomes the norm!
Business Video Strategy
Video Purpose Video Form Communication Result
1st Wave Information Passive / Long 1 way Information
2nd Wave Entertainment / Ads Passive / Short 1 way Awareness
Next Wave Conversation Active / Short 2 way Dialogue
What is Conversational Video?
• Conversational Video Apps
– Composed of short clips, which are connected together to tell a story
– Buttons are timed to appear on each video to allow the user to take
control and decide how each story is told
• Sample Video Apps Economic Development
Microsoft - Office 10
• Audience engagement time is the measure of success
• Factors that effect engagement time
– Permission, Interaction & Attention
• Increased audience engagement time results in;
– Increased Content consumed by viewer
– Increased Conversations about your brand
– Increased Conversion to “Call to Action” Rates
Conversation Analytics – Case Study
Viewer Persona Conversion Breakout
August 25th - Sept 26th, 2010
2,076 viewed Conversational video
Business Value – Increased Productivity
1. Double the “conversations” with the same overhead
2. Engage your audience +500% longer
3. Learn to listen to your online audiences “analytics”
Conversational Video Apps
1. Sales & Marketing 2. Product & Service Promotion
Market research, focus Product presentations,
demonstrations & reviews
groups & polling Q&A Expert sessions
Promotions Maintenance videos
3. Customer Reference
Landing pages Customer Testimonials
PR Support Success Stories / Case Studies
Press Releases Customer Presentations
Event & Trade Show 4. Corporate
Communications Corporate Overview
Mobile Video Executive & Staff Presentations
Website FAQ Video Corporate facilities or equipment tours
Video White paper
Post sale support
Start the Conversation
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.