<ul><li>The aim of our project was to make a two minute introduction to a zombie thriller. I worked with William Leather and Joshua Bray, however Joshua left and the group was left with two members through the majority of the production. My particular contributions were costume and make-up design as well as sound. </li></ul>What is our project?
In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products? <ul><li>The genre of our product is a zombie horror, we decided to use a classical narrative rather than alternative to set the horror mood, we used deep bass sounds to create suspense and montage images to create the atmosphere of time passing.We chose to do nothing different to the genre as we wanted to maintain the zombie horror genre effectively. We knew our innovations would prove successful as we knew that students enjoyed horror/zombie films. Researching our feedback, it is clear to see that our choices worked effectively as the audience enjoyed our production thoroughly. </li></ul>
How does your media product represent particular social groups? <ul><li>Our production represents the younger people group, this is shown with the main character. We chose to dress the character in fashionable, casual clothes to present that he is young. The other group we used is zombie, although we chose not to show the zombie, it is clear that something is after the character. This allows the audience to create their own image of what the zombie is and looks like. </li></ul>
Continued.. <ul><li>The “young” group we used is also interpreted through the setting as the young man is located in a school, suggesting he is a student. Our production challenges the representation of the younger era, as young people are stereotyped to be irresponsible and weak. However, here the character is being responsible and taking matters into his own hands by walking around with a weapon. The binary opposite used proved to be effective. The audience was able to relate to the character. </li></ul>
Who would be the audience for your media product? <ul><li>Our audience is aimed at younger viewers, such as 16-25. A secondary audience could also be interpreted here as an older audience could also be interested in this product, such as, 34-50. Although girls have interest in zombie horror products, our main audience would probably be the male gender as males would be more interested in gory and scary films. </li></ul>
Continued.. <ul><li>Our production is aimed at all nationalities with an interest in zombie horror. The audience will have to be fans of the horror genre to enjoy our production. In terms of socio-economic status, “the working class hero” would be the main audience. This is apparent as they can relate with the young character who does not have much money as he is a student. This audience is good to target as they are a potentially large mass audience as the majority of film fans are younger. </li></ul>
How did you attract/ address your audience? <ul><li>We used disruption to start the product, then moving onto equilibrium to make the audience aware that the character is in trouble. We presented chronology in order to create a sense of time. This is portrayed in our production with the montage to create the atmosphere of time passing by. </li></ul>
The message our sequence uses is that men are strong and brave , it is effective as the audience feels tense for the male and doesn’t want him to get hurt. The use of strong scary music presents a tense theme . The use of shots, such as, medium shots show the curiosity and anticipation the character has. The use of red lighting at the beginning of the product whilst the male is running is effective as it shows the image from the zombies eyes, the use of the colour red suggests blood and death, giving the impression that the zombie wants to kill the main character.
What have you learnt about technologies from the process of constructing this product? <ul><li>We used the internet greatly when researching for our product, we used videos from youtube such as “28 weeks later” which helped us when deciding a realistic storyline containing a zombie. I have learnt how to film effectively with or without a tripod, they allowed us to shot difficult scenes like the running scene at the beginning. </li></ul>
When editing our product we had to edit quite a lot. Some mistakes were made such as, the camera wasn’t straight or was not recording at the right time. It was also difficult to capture the correct mood of the sequence. Using Imovie to edit our product, we were able to create captions, more lighting and effective sounds and music. This helped us to get a greater audience as the product looked more realistic.
Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product? <ul><li>From the preliminary task we have progressed a lot. Looking back at out prelim compared to our full product it is clear to see the difference, the shots are much more professional and smoother. The editing also compares as it is clear to see the split between two scenes in the prelim but not in the final product. The use of sound is also important as sound or captions were not used in the preliminary task. The character’s personality was also presented successfully in the final product. </li></ul>
In conclusion, our variety of elements came together to create a successful final zombie horror product which our set audience enjoyed. In my opinion, a weakness would be not having a specific plan when filming. An important strength we showed was editing and working together as a team. Although our final product is not what we first planned, the sequence proved to be an effective production which fits In with the genre and audience we wanted to use.