Constructive Communication, Inc. Online Social Media FAQsDocument Transcript
frequently asked questions
How do you get followers?
• There are many ways to gain a following in social media. The first step is to
follow others, as they will typically follow you in return. But, be sure to only
follow people who are your target audience. Also, include a link to all social
media accounts on your website, email signature, newsletter and other ways
that you communicate with your target audience.
What is the best tactic to start with?
• There is no magic answer to this question. It depends on your goals and
strategy and you must identify which social media outlet your key audience
is participating in the most.
How long does this take?
• We have seen results within the first couple of weeks for some of our clients,
but it is necessary to put time and effort into each account every day in order
to see success. If, after a year, you are not seeing any results, consider
deleting the account.
How do I launch a social media program?
• You must first research where your target audience is conversing, then go
and listen to what is being said. Then, determine your goals and strategy.
Start out with one or two outlets and the drafting of a Wikipedia article.
What outlets are recommended
for those in the AEC industry?
• Where should we start? We always recommend a Wikipedia page as it
improves Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and allows people to find you
easily. Also, depending on your goals and strategy, LinkedIn, Twitter and
blogging should be considered. Further, contributing to forums and sharing
sites such as delicious, StumbleUpon and Digg have proven beneficial.
How do I talk to our executives about social media?
How can I convince them that we should be using this?
• One key means of showing them the possibilities is a review of what your
competitors are doing using social media. You could also show them case
studies, statistics and studies regarding the medium…there are plenty out there.
Constructive Communication, Inc.
7321 Wiltshire Drive, Dublin, Ohio 43016
C O M M U N I C AT I O N www.constructivecommunication.com
What about policies? What should it include?
• A policy should be discussed and drafted for every company. It is likely that
You must establish rules
a large portion of employees are using online social media for personal
use and there is an opportunity for everyone to be marketers and talk about and expectations for each
the wonderful aspects of your company. You must establish rules and
expectations for each employee including what outlets they are allowed to
use from a corporate standpoint, as well as remind them that their personal employee including what
use can reflect your company — both good and bad.
Do you recommend SEO or GoogleAds? Which one is
outlets they are allowed
• It depends on your goals and target audience. We have found that people to use from a corporate
are more likely to click on organic search results, not sponsored or paid
results. Therefore, if you are going to focus on one, we recommend SEO.
standpoint, as well as remind
What outlets are most popular within the AEC industry?
• We recommend LinkedIn, Ning, Twitter, blogging and possibly YouTube,
depending on your goals and strategy.
them that their personal use
How do I measure ROI? can reflect your company —
• Before you dive in to social media, you must first determine how you will
measure it. Will it be from site visits, comments or sample requests? You
both good and bad.
What does it mean to be authentic, transparent or
• This means to speak in a conversational tone. For example, avoid using
corporate lingo. Instead, talk to your audience in a fun and engaging way.
What if they leave negative comments?
• Negative comments will happen even if you don’t participate in social media,
so it is better to be aware of and control the conversation.
What can a social media consultant do for me?
• A social media consultant knows the ins and outs of the medium. They
can research what your competitors are doing, determine how your target
audiences are using social media, as well as help you identify a customized
strategy, recommend outlets, train you on how to use these outlets and
guide you along the way.
Do I have to get involved with social media?
• Yes, it is the new way of communicating and it is not going away.
I have a small marketing budget, what can I do?
• Online social media is a great marketing tactic as most outlets are free to
use. However, don’t fall into the trap that because it is free, you don’t have
to go through the diligence of identifying your audience, key messages
and strategy. Also, don’t discount the cost of time – those with social media
success definitely spend a great deal of time monitoring and participating in
their key outlets.