1. Plaça d´Espanya
Plaçad'Espanya is one of Barcelona's most important squares, built on the occasion of
the 1929 International Exhibition, held at the foot of Montjuïc, in the SantsMontjuïc district.
One of the city's biggest squares, it is the junction of several major thoroughfares: Gran
Via de les CortsCatalanes, Avinguda del Paral·lel, Carrer de la CreuCoberta and Carrer
de Tarragona, and leads to the Palau Nacional through Avinguda de la Reina Maria
Cristina, which houses one of Catalonia's finest museums, the MuseuNacionald'Art de
Catalunya (MNAC). The fountain at the centre of the square was designed by a
collaborator of AntoniGaudí.
The Venetian Towers (in Catalan: Torres Venecianes) is the popular name for a pair of
towers on Avinguda de la Reina Maria Cristina an avenue commonly used to host trade
fairs. There is one tower on either side of the street.
The towers are 47m high, with a 7.2 metres square cross-section.The bottom section of
each is built of artificial stone, the main section of red brick, and the top section is
a colonnaded viewing
pyramidal copper roof.
Basilica in Venice.
They serve a purely ornamental function, to mark the entrance to the exhibition district,
now known as Fira de Barcelona, and the start of the grand avenue leading up to the
Palau Nacional on Montjuïc, which houses the National Art Museum of Catalonia.
Originally, the towers were open to the public, who could climb the internal stairs to the
viewing galleries, but they are now closed.
The Arenas de Barcelona, is a bullring - It was built in 1900 in the Moorish Revival
style and has been converted into a shopping center.The square was built on a site that
had been previously used for public hangings, until the creation of the now
demolishedCiutadella fortress in 1715, where the gallows were moved. It was designed
in 1915 and built in 1929 so that it could be ready to host the 1929 Universal Exposition.
The square has been in public use since then.
Etimology of Montjuïchis translated as "Jew Mountain" in medieval Catalan, or is
perhaps related to the Latin phrase Mons Jovicus ('hill of Jove'). Location of the same
name is also found in the city of Girona. When written in a Spanish rather
than Catalan context it is generally spelled Montjuich (this is old Catalan spelling before
the orthographic reforms of PompeuFabra).
Barcelona's Montjuïcis a broad shallow hill with a relatively flat top overlooking
the harbour, to the southwest of the city centre. The eastern side of the hill is almost a
sheer cliff, giving it a commanding view over the city's harbour immediately below. The
top of the hill (a height of 184,8 m) was the site of several fortifications, the latest of
which (the Castle of Montjuïc) remains today. The fortress largely dates from the 17th
the Madrid government) shelled parts of the city. It served as a prison, often holding
political prisoners, until the time of General Franco. The castle was also the site of
numerous executions. In 1897, an incident popularly known as Elsprocessos de
Montjuïc prompted the execution of anarchist supporters, which then led to a severe
repression of the workers' struggle for their rights. On different occasions during
the Spanish Civil War, both Nationalists and Republicans were executed there, each at
nationalist leader LluísCompanysiJover was also executed there in 1940, having been
extradited to the Franco government by the Nazis.
The Palau Nacional, situated in Montjuïc (Barcelona), is a palace constructed between
the years 1926 and 1929 for the 1929 International Exhibition in Barcelona. Since 1934
it has been home to the National Art Museum of Catalonia. It was the main building of
the exhibition, The palace’s Oval Room was host to the opening ceremony of the
The Palace has a ground surface and is constructed in a classic style of architecture
inspired by the Spanish Renaissance. It has a rectangular floor plan flanked by two side
and one rear square sections, with an elliptical dome covering its central part. The
fountains located by the staircases leading to the palace are the work of Carles Buïgas.
The National Palace is devoted to an exhibition of over 5,000 Spanish artworks. Its
decoration, 20th century in style, contrasts with the classical architectural style of the
building and is attributed to several catalan artists.
Between the years 1996 and 2004 the palace was extended with the objective of
creating space to accommodate the entire collection.
national museum of Catalan visual art located in Barcelona.
Situated onMontjuïc hill
the museum is especially notable for its outstanding collection of romanesque church
paintings, and for Catalan art and design from the late 19th and early 20th centuries,
includingmodernisme and noucentisme.
Nacionalsince 1934 and it was declared a national museum in 1990 under the
Museums Law passed by the Catalan Government. That same year, a thorough
renovation process was launched to refurbish the site.The Oval Hall was reopened in
1992 on the occasion of the Olympic Games, and the various collections were installed
there, as a Romanesque Art section.
3. Montjuic Olympic Ring
Montjuïch Olympic Ring:Built on the occasion of the 1992 Olympic Games, the
Olympic Stadium LluísCompanys, the Palau SantJordi,BernatPicornell Pools and the
peculiar Torre Calatrava Telecommunications striking part of the city's Olympic Ring.
Palau SantJordi is an indoor sporting arena and multi-purpose installation that is part
of the Olympic Ring complex of Barcelona. It was opened in 1990 and designed by
Japanese architect ArataIsozaki and the maximum seating capacity of the arena is
17,000 for basketball, and 24,000 for musical events.The Palau SantJordi was one of
gymnastics, handball final, and volleyball final. Nowadays, it is used for all kinds of
indoor sport events as well as for concerts and other cultural activities, due to its great
Outside Palau SantJordi can see
“Canvi” the sculpture work of Japanese
AikoMiyawaki, a set of 36 concrete columns topped with steel cables simulating a
Sporting events: The stage has been home to many sporting events since its creation
for the 1992 Olympic Games.The stadium has been the venue for three Euroleague
Final Four and the 1997 EuroBasket.The most important tournament between nations in
men's tennis Davis Cup also took place at this stage twice against Australia 2000 and
2009 against the Czech Republic.He has also been the main installation on two world
swimming championships A temporary, regulation swimming pool was installed for the
occasion. Finally this year has hosted the 2013 World Handball.
4. Estadi Olímpic Lluís Companys
Estadi Olímpic Lluís Companys formerly known as the Estadi Olímpic de
Montjuïc or Barcelona Olympic Stadium) is a stadium originally built in 1927 for
the 1929 International Exposition in the city (and Barcelona's bid for the 1936 Summer
Olympics, which were awarded to Berlin), it was renovated in 1989 to be the main
stadium for the 1992 Summer Olympics.The stadium has a capacity of 55,926 and is
located in the AnellaOlímpica, in Montjuïc, a large hill to the southwest of the city which
overlooks the harbour.In 2001 the stadium was renamed after the former president of
the Generalitat de Catalunya LluísCompanysiJover, who was executed at the nearby
Montjuïc Castle in 1940 by the Franco regime.
The EstadiOlímpic was designed by architect PereDomènechiRoura for the 1929. It
was meant to host the People's Olympiad in 1936, a protest event against the 1936
Summer Olympics in Berlin, but the event had to be cancelled due the outbreak of
the Spanish Civil War.In the fifties, the stadium was the centerpiece of the 1955
Mediterranean Games, and in 1957 it hosted the only national football cupfinal
between FC Barcelona and RCD Espanyol, the two local clubs.
In the seventies the stadium was disused, and the stands deteriorated. When
the Spanish Grand Prix and other races were held at theMontjuïc racing circuit, the
stadium was used as a paddock for the teams. Due to safety concerns, the 1975 F1
race was nearly boycotted by drivers.
Due to the award of the 1992 Summer Olympics to Barcelona, the stadium was
renovated with the involvement.
The stadium was gutted, preserving only the original facades, and new grandstands
were built. In 1989 the venue was reinaugurated for the World Cup in Athletics, and
the athletics competitions of the Olympic Games.
The stadium served as the home of football club RCD Espanyol from 1997 until 2009
when moved to the newly constructed EstadiCornellà-El Prat.
It also served as the home of the Barcelona Dragons American Football team until
In 2010, the stadium hosted the 20th European Athletics Championships.
palacelocatedonthemountainofMontjuïc, justbehindtheNationalPalace, insidethe Joan
Maragallgardens. Itwasbuiltforthe 1929 Universal ExhibitiontohousetheSpanish Royal
theCatalanstyleofNoucentismeandwasinspired by the Royal Palaceof La Granja de San
Ildefonso andtheMonasteryof San Lorenzo del Escorial in Madrid.
thepalacewasrenovatedandits interior wasenrichedwiththeworksof Salvador Dalí.
Thenameofthepalacewasgiven in the 1930s in honourofthegreatCatalanmusician Isaac
6. Fundació Joan Miró
Fundació Joan Miró: The idea for the foundation was made in 1968 by Joan Miró who
formed the foundation with his friend Joan Prats. Miró wanted to create a new building
that would encourage particularly younger artists to experiment with contemporary art.
The building was designed to ensure that this work could also be made available to the
public and exhibited. Fundació Miró has courtyards and terraces and to create a
natural path for visitors to move through the building.
Building began on the mountain of Montjuïc and the foundation opened on 10 June
1975. It was claimed that the new foundation represented a new way of viewing the
concept of a museum and how the people of Barcelona could relate to their cultural
Expansion in 1986 to the building added an auditorium and a library which holds some
of the 10,000 items in the Foundation and Miró's collection.
7. Funicular de Montjuïc
The Funicular de Montjuïc, or Montjuïc funicular, is a funicular railway in the city of
Barcelona. The line is largely in tunnel and connects the Barcelona Metro Paral·lel
station with the hill of Montjuïc and the various sporting and other facilities there.The
funicular uses the same fares as the metro and is listed on maps as part of the metro.
The line was opened in 1928, in order to serve the International Exhibition of 1929. It
was extensively reconstructed in 1992, in order to cope with traffic to and from the
Estadi Olímpic Lluís Companys and other facilities used for the 1992 Summer
Olympics, situated on the Montjuïc hill.
8. Bernat Picornell Pools
Piscinas Bernat Picornellis a swimming venue situated in the Olympic Ring in
Montjuïc, Barcelona. The venue consists of three swimming pools: a 50m indoor pool, a
50m outdoor pool, and a pool for diving. It hosted the swimming events, synchronized
swimming events, the water polo final, and the swimming part of the modern pentathlon
event for the 1992 Summer Olympics. The swimming pools are of public use and are
open all year long.The venue, named after the Catalan swimmer and founder of the
Spanish Swimming Federation Bernat Picornell i Richier, was built to host the 1970
European Aquatics Championships. In 1990, refurbishment works began for the 1992
Olympics; the main changes were that the training pool was covered and that temporary
grandstands were installed, boosting the capacity to more than 10,000 spectators.Since
the 1992 Olympics, the outdoor swimming pool, with capacity for 3,000 spectators, has
hosted several Spanish and Catalan swimming championships.