Barcelona and its inhabitants
Romanesque and Gothic Barcelona
The Ribera neighborhood of the guilds
Passeig del Born and Palaces at Montcada
2. The streets
Elegance and sobriety due to the religious and civil buildings
in the new Gothic style
3. Barcelona and its inhabitants
Backgrounds neither privileged nor marginalized.
Black Pest (1348) many noble families moved into the
cities and built their own palaces.
Direct connection between the house and the street.
The houses tended to be small.
5. Romanesque and Gothic Barcelona
Gothic quarter: the medieval past of the city.
Various extensions of its wall enclosures & importance of
monarchy and nobility.
6. A) Monarchy and nobility imprint
Palau de la Generalitat
Palau Reial in Plaça del Rei
7. B) Role played by the Church
8. C) The middle class trade imprint
9. Passeig del Born
A place for fairs, tournaments, processions and the carnival
10. Main palaces at Montcada street
Museu Textil i d’indumentaria
11. The Ribera, neighbourhood of the guilds
Growth of the city
Each guild in a
12. The crisis
Difficult times: the pest (Black Death) in 1348