Fichier monuments charente maritime (1)
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in...5
×
 

Fichier monuments charente maritime (1)

on

  • 756 views

 

Statistics

Views

Total Views
756
Views on SlideShare
204
Embed Views
552

Actions

Likes
0
Downloads
1
Comments
0

2 Embeds 552

http://comeniusmac.wordpress.com 551
http://www.google.es 1

Accessibility

Categories

Upload Details

Uploaded via as Microsoft PowerPoint

Usage Rights

© All Rights Reserved

Report content

Flagged as inappropriate Flag as inappropriate
Flag as inappropriate

Select your reason for flagging this presentation as inappropriate.

Cancel
  • Full Name Full Name Comment goes here.
    Are you sure you want to
    Your message goes here
    Processing…
Post Comment
Edit your comment

    Fichier monuments charente maritime (1) Fichier monuments charente maritime (1) Presentation Transcript

    • Some monuments of CHARENTEMARITIME HiP ! - Comenius Project 2012-2014 ROCHEFORT - LYCÉE MERLEAU-PONTY
    • Department of Charente-Maritime
    • AMPHITHÉÂTRE GALLOROMAIN L’Amphithéâtre de Saintes est d'origine romaine car les Romains ont conquis la région et se sont installés sur les bords de la Charente. Il est situé à Mediolanum Santonum qui est actuellement la ville de Saintes. Il a commencé a être construit sous le règne de Tibère et a été achevé dans les années 40 ap. J.-C., sous le règne de Claude. Les dimensions de ce monument sont 126 mètres de long et 102 mètres de large. On le reconnaît à sa structure particulière, l'ensemble de gradins est appuyé sur les flancs du vallon à l'est et sur un remblai à l'ouest. Il y a d'une part la porte Sanavivaria où ressortaient les gladiateurs vainqueurs, elle est aussi appelée La porte des vivants et d'autre part il y a la porte Libitinensis, ou Porte des morts, par où sortaient les dépouilles des gladiateurs et des animaux qui étaient morts, et qui étaient enterrés non loin de là dans une nécropole. Aujourd'hui cette porte est comblée. A l'est et à l'ouest deux grandes portes de l’amphithéâtre permettent de communiquer avec l’extérieur. Il permettait d’accueillir 12.000 à 15.000 spectateurs autour de représentations sanglantes et violentes telles que des combats de gladiateurs ou des chasses d’animaux. Il permettait aussi de fournir au peuple des distractions et de la nourriture.
    • GALLO-ROMAN AMPHITHEATRE Saintes, Charente-Maritime The Saintes Amphitheatre is of Roman origin because the Roman conquered the region and settled on the banks of the Charente. It is located at Mediolanum Santorum which is now the city of Saintes. It began to be built in the reign of Tiberius and was completed in 40 AD, under the reign of Claudius. The dimensions of this monument are 126 meters long and 102 meters wide. It is distinguished by its particular structure, the tier is supported on the flanks of the valley to the east and west embankment. There is a Sanavivaria door, for victorious gladiators, it is also called The door of the Living, and secondly there is the Libitinensis door, or Door of the Dead ; the remains of dead gladiators and animals were buried not far in a necropolis. This door is now filled. To the East and West, two large doors of the amphitheater can communicate with the outside. It could accommodate 12,000 to 15,000 spectators around bloody and violent representations such as gladiatorial combat or hunting animals. It also allowed people to provide entertainment and food.
    • ARC DE GERMANICUS L'Arc de Germanicus est un arc de l'antiquité romaine construit à Saintes en l'an 18 ou 19 ap. J.C. pour l'empereur Tibère, son fils Drusus et son neveu et fils adoptif Germanicus. Il ne s'agit pas d'un arc de triomphe. Il s'agit d'un arc routier à deux baies initialement bâti à l’arrivée de la voie romaine Lyon-Saintes , au niveau du pont romain sur la Charente. Sur proposition de Prosper Mérimée en 1843 l'arc fut déplacé à quinze mètres de son emplacement d’origine pour des travaux sur les quais de la Charente. Il fut restauré en 1851. L'arc de Germanicus est classé monument historique le 5 juillet 1905.
    • ARCH OF GERMANICUS Saintes, Charente-Maritime The Arch of Germanicus is a bow from the Roman antiquity built in Saintes in the year 18 o 19 AD for Emperor Tiberius, his son Drusus and his nephew and foster son Germanicus. It is not about a triumphal arch. It is about a road bow in two bays initially built upon the arrival of the Roman way LyonSaintes, at the level of the Roman bridge on the Charente. On Prosper Mérimée's proposal in 1843, the arch was moved in fifteen meters of its original location to works on the quays of the Charente. Itwas restored in 1851. The Arch of Germanicus was classified as "Historic Monument" on July 5th, 1905.
    • ABBAYE ROYALE DE SAINT-JEAN D’ANGÉLY Fondée au IXe siècle pour accueillir la relique du crâne de saint Jean-Baptiste, reconstruite aux XIVe, XVIIe et XVIIIe siècles, son édification fut longue et pénible, entrecoupée par les troubles et les ravages de la Guerre de Cent Ans. On estime qu'elle fut terminée vers le milieu du XVe siècle. Actuellement, il n'en reste que les deux arcsboutants et une partie du chevet de l'église actuelle, dont trois fenêtres dans le style du premier gothique. Quelques fragments d'architecture sont conservés au musée. Demeurent également "les tours", deux clochers et une immense façade inachevée, qui furent un temps transformées en prison.
    • ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST ABBEY Saint-Jean d’Angély, Charente-Maritime Established in the IXth century to welcome the relic of saint Jean-Baptiste, rebuilt in the XIVth, XVIIth and XVIIIth centuries, its construction was long and painful, interrupted by the disorders (confusions) and the ravages of war of Hundred Years. We consider that it was ended by the middle of the XVth century at present. Flying buttresses and a part of the bedhead of the current church, among which three windows in the style of the first Gothic. Some fragments of archi-tecture are preserved in the museum. Its "towers", two bell towers and an immense unfinished facade, that were a time transformed into prison.
    • ABBAYE ROYALE DE SAINT-JEAN D’ANGÉLY Réhabilitée, elle demeure le plus remarquable ensemble architectural de Saint-Jean d'Angély. La façade présente une ordonnance classique, avec les ordres superposés. En revanche les ornements ne sont qu'ébauchés dans la pierre Il s'agit là, avec la cathédrale de la Rochelle (également inachevée), d'un des rares exemples d'architecture religieuse du XVIIIe siècle dans la région Poitou-Charentes. Une Bibliothèque municipale est située à l'intérieur des bâtiments cette Abbaye, qui s'est transformée également aujourd'hui en hôtel luxueux, restaurant gastronomique et qui accueille des pièces de théâtre ou des spectacles musicaux. Ce site est classé au patrimoine mondial de l’Unesco comme étape du Chemin de Saint Jacques de Compostelle.
    • ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST ABBEY Saint-Jean d’Angély, Charente-Maritime Rehabilitated , it remains the most remarkable architectural of Saint Jean d'Angély. The facade presents a classic prescription, with the superimposed orders. On the other hand the ornaments are only sketched in the stone It is along, with the cathedral of La Rochelle (also unfinished), about one of the rare examples of religious architecture of the XVIIIth century in the Poitou-Charentes region. A municipal library is situated inside this Abbey, which was transformed into a luxurious hotel, a gourmet restaurant today and which welcomes plays or musical shows. This site is classified in the UNESCO world heritage as a step of the Way to Santiago de Compostela.
    • ABBAYE AUX DAMES La fondation de cette abbaye bénédictine strictement féminine intervient en 1047 à l'initiative du comte d'Anjou Geoffroy Martel et de son épouse Agnès de Bourgogne. Cette abbaye de style roman appartient au culte Catholique romain. Elle se distingue notamment par la présence d'un clocher à base carrée, portant une tour circulaire accostée de pinacles (dits « en pomme de pin »).
    • ABBAYE OF SAINTE-MARIE-DES-DAMES Saintes, Charente-Maritime The (strictly feminine) Benedictine foundation of this abbey took place in 1047 on the initiative of the Lord of Anjou Geoffroy Martel and of his wife Agnès of Burgundy. This abbey is native of Romanesque style and belongs to Roman Catholic worship. It distinguishes itself by the presence of a steeple with square basis, bearing a circular tower surrounded by pinnacles (says "in pine cone"). Summary :
    • ABBAYE AUX DAMES Important centre spirituel de sa fondation à la révolution, l'abbaye est placée sous la protection du roi de France en 1378. Comptant à son apogée jusqu'à cent moniales, elle se voit confier la mission d'instruire les jeunes filles de la noblesse française. Elle compte notamment parmi ses pensionnaires la future marquise de Montespan. Convertie en prison durant la période révolutionnaire, puis en caserne militaire jusqu'au début du XXème siècle, elle est restaurée au cours de la décennie 1970-1980. Inscrite à l'inventaire supplémentaire des monuments historiques en 1948, l'abbaye aux dames est également titulaire du label des Trésors de Saintonge.
    • ABBEY OF SAINTE-MARIE-DES-DAMES Saintes Charente-Maritime Important religious center from its foundation to the Revolution, the abbey was placed under French King's protection in 1378. It was tasked to educate young girls of French nobility. It rates with its residents the future marquise of Montespan. Converted in prison during the revolutionary period, then in military barracks until the beginning of the XXth century, it was restored during the decade 1970-1980. Registered to the additional inventory of the historical monuments in 1948, the « Abbaye aux Dames » also holds of «Trésors de Saintonge»'s label.
    • ABBAYE DE TRIZAY Les vestiges de l’Abbaye de Trizay sont ceux d’un prieuré de l’ordre des Bénédictins fondé au XIe siècle. Après le rachat des bâtiments par la commune en 1990 et une importante restauration, on découvrira ce joyau architectural unique en Saintonge, avec sa salle capitulaire couverte par de belles voûtes du XIIIe siècle, ses élégantes arcatures et son réfectoire. Cette abbaye située au milieu des champs et dominant l’Arnoult est, depuis 2003, le centre d’art contemporain de la ville, régnant sur sa campagne silencieuse.
    • TRIZAY ABBEY Trizay, Charente-Maritime Trizay Abbey remains are those of a priory of the Benedictine order founded in the eleventh century. After the repurchase of these buildings by the municipality in 1990 and an important restoration, this unique architectural jewel is to be discovered in Saintonge, with its chapter house, covered by beautiful arches that date from the thirteenth century, its elegant bows and its catering hall. This Abbey located in the middle of fields and that dominates the Arnoult river is, since 2003, the contemporary art center of the city, ruling over its silent countryside.
    • ÉGLISE SAINT-PIERRE L'église Saint-Pierre se situe sur la commune d'Aulnay de Saintonge, au nord-est du département de Charente-Maritime. A l'époque gallo-romaine, s'élevait ici une première église, construite sur un site occupé auparavant par un temple païen. L’église romane a sans doute été édifiée au cours des années 1120-1140, à la demande du clergé de Poitiers.
    • ST. PETER’S CHURCH Aulnay-de-Saintonge, Charente-Maritime St. Peter’s Church is located in the commune of Aulnay-de-Saintonge, north-east of the department of Charente-Maritime. In Gallo-Roman times, a previous church stood on a site occupied before by a pagan temple. The Romanesque church might have been built over the years 1120-1140 at the request of clergy of Poitiers.
    • ÉGLISE SAINT-PIERRE Durant une partie du Moyen-âge, elle est une étape pour les pèlerins qui se dirigent vers Saint-Jacquesde-Compostelle, avant de sombrer dans l’abandon au cours des siècles suivants. Redécouverte au XIXe siècle, elle fait partie des premiers édifices français à obtenir un classement aux Monuments historiques en 1840. Elle est aussi, avant tout, l'un des quatre sites du département à être inscrits au patrimoine mondial de l‘Humanité par l'UNESCO au titre des chemins de Saint-Jacques-de-Compostelle, en France.
    • ST. PETER’S CHURCH Aulnay-de-Saintonge, Charente-Maritime During part of the Middle Ages, it was a step for pilgrims moves to St. James of Compostela, before falling in oblivion during the following centuries. Rediscovered in the nineteenth century, it is one of the first buildings to obtain a classification French Historic Monument in 1840. It is also, above all, one of the four sites of the department to be included in World Heritage of Humanity by UNESCO as Way of St. James of Compostela, in France.
    • PLACE FORTE ET ÉGLISE SAINTERADEGONDE Durant le haut Moyen Âge, Talmont devient un poste militaire. Celle-ci est acquise en 1284 par Édouard Ier d'Angleterre, Duc d'Aquitaine, qui la fait fortifier, créant ainsi une ville close au plan comparable aux bastides qui fleurissent alors dans tout le sud-ouest de la France. Dès cette époque, la ville est également entourée de remparts, dont il est encore possible de voir quelques vestiges au-delà de l'église. Par exemple un pan de mur qui est l'unique vestige d'une tour carrée baptisée « tour Blanche ». Place forte militaire importante, Talmont est aussi un lieu de pèlerinage sur la route de Saint-Jacquesde-Compostelle. Après avoir fait leurs dévotions à sainte Radegonde, la sainte patronne de l'église, les pèlerins pouvaient choisir, soit de traverser l'estuaire de la Gironde pour rejoindre la basilique de Soulac, soit de continuer leur périple en passant par Blaye et Bordeaux. L'église SainteRadegonde est une église paroissiale catholique édifiée à partir du XIe siècle par des bénédictins de l'abbaye de Saint-Jean-d'Angély. L'église fut classée monument historique le 30 août 1890.
    • STRONGHOLD & ST. RADEGUND'S CHURCH Talmont-sur-Gironde, Charente-Maritime During the Early Middle Ages, the village of Talmont becomes a military stronghold. In 1284, Edward I of England, Duke of Aquitaine, surrounds it with walls, thus creating a fortified city similar to those which appear across the South West of France. It's still possible to see some remains of the walls today beyond the church. For example a wall which is the only vestige of a square tower called “the white tower”. An important military stronghold, Talmont is also a place of pilgrimage on the Way to St James. After their devotions to St. Radegonde, the patron saint of the church, the pilgrims could choose either to cross the Gironde estuary to reach the Basilica of Soulac or to continue their journey through Blaye and Bordeaux. St. Radegonde is a catholic church built in the eleventh century by Benedictine monks of Saint-Jean-d'Angély Abbey. The church was declared a Historical Monument August 30 th, 1890.
    • HÔPITAL DES PÈLERINS L'hôpital des Pèlerins est un ancien hospice médiéval situé sur la ville-basse de Pons, en CharenteMaritime. Ce monument est l'un des plus anciens ensembles hospitaliers d'Europe à avoir été conservé et est à ce titre inscrit sur la liste du patrimoine mondial de l'Unesco depuis 1998. Il est également classé monument historique depuis le 16 Juin 1998. L'hôpital est fondé en 1160 à dessein hors-des-murs afin que nécessiteux et pèlerins puissent trouver soin et réconfort à toute heure du jour et de la nuit, mais aussi afin d'éviter la propagation des épidémies. Une chapelle dédiée à Saint-Louis est construite en 1778, ainsi que la salle des malades modernisée et de nouveaux bâtiments. L'ancien édifice est abandonné en 1818 au profit du nouveau couvent des Ursulines de l'actuelle rue du Président Roosevelt. Tandis qu'une partie des bâtiments est transformée en habitations et en exploitation agricole, la commune détruit en 1830 la tour qui s'élevait à l'origine au-dessus du porche et qui menaçait de s'effondrer sur la route. Le classement du porche par les monuments historiques en 1879 sauve in extremis cette partie de l'édifice de la destruction. Les murs sont ornés d'arcades, des graffitis représentant des fers à cheval et des croix rappellent le passage de plusieurs générations de pèlerins. De part et d'autre de la travée centrale s'ouvrent deux portails monumentaux en ornés principalement de motifs végétaux et géométriques.
    • PILGRIMS’ HOSPITAL PONS, CHARENTE-MARITIME The Pilgrims’ Hospital is a former medieval hospice located on the lower town of Pons, in the Charente-Maritime. This monument is one of the oldest hospitals in Europe to have been preserved and is therefore listed as World Heritage by UNESCO in 1998. It is also a historical monument since June 16, 1998. The hospital was founded in 1160 off-the-walls so needies and pilgrims could find care and comfort at any time of the day and night, but also to prevent the spread of epidemics. A chapel dedicated to St. Louis was built in 1778 and modernized the ward and new buildings. The old building was abandoned in 1818 in favor of the new convent of the Ursulines of the current street of President Roosevelt. While a part of the building has been transformed into dwellings and farm, the town was destroyed in 1830 the tower was originally above the porch and threatening to collapse on the road. The classification of the porch by the historical monuments in 1879 saved in extremis this part of the building from destruction. The walls are decorated with arcades, graffiti representing horseshoes and crosses remember the passage of several generations of pilgrims. On both sides of the center span two gates can be opened, adorned with monumental primarily vegetal and geometric motifs.
    • DONJON DE PONS Le donjon de Pons se situe sur la commune de Pons en Charente-Maritime. Cette tour est l'ancien donjon du château de Pons. Haut de 33 mètres, il constitue le symbole de la ville. Il reste de l'ancien château également les vestiges des remparts, la chapelle, le porche Saint-Gilles et le corps de logis. On y trouve un jardin public qui offre un très joli panorama sur la vallée de la Seugne. Le château de Pons a été une des plus importantes places médiévales grâce à sa situation sur la route des pèlerins de Saint-Jacques au croisement des grandes voies. Rasé en 1179 par le duc d'Aquitaine Richard Cœur de Lion à la suite d'une révolte de son vassal, le château est reconstruit en 1187 par Geoffroy III de Pons. De cette époque date notamment l'imposant donjon qui était une pièce maîtresse du dispositif de défense de la place-forte. Le château a été détruit à nouveau, à l'exception du donjon, en 1622 par les armées de Louis XIII, suite au siège de 1621. Le Donjon fait l’objet d’un classement au titre des monuments historiques depuis le 8 octobre 1879. On peut aujourd'hui le visiter.
    • KEEP OF PONS Pons, Charente-Maritime This castle is situated in Pons, in Charente-Maritime. It is an old tower of the castle. It's 33 meters high, this is a symbol for the city of Pons. There is a big park with a very nice landscape. The castle was destroyed in 1179 by the Duke of Aquitaine and king of England Richard the Lionheart. It was reconstructed in 1187 by Geoffroy III of Pons. It was destroyed again by the army of Louis XIII, except the tower, in 1622. The tower is classified as a Historical Monument since October 8th 1879. We can now visit hit.
    • CHÂTEAU DE CRAZANNES Construit aux XIVe et XVe siècles en PoitouCharentes et classé Monument Historique en 1913, le château de Crazannes a été entièrement restauré et aménagé. Il est l'un des plus anciens châteaux de Charente-Maritime, et l'un des premiers châteaux privés à avoir obtenu ce classement. Sa construction a débuté au XIV siècle, à l'emplacement même d'une ancienne forteresse médiévale du XIe siècle dont il reste aujourd'hui la chapelle, les douves et le donjon (vestige du mur d'enceinte). Initialement propriété des seigneurs de Tonnay-Charente, le site a connu de nombreux propriétaires dont, entre autres, Jacques Poussard (conseiller de Charles VI), la famille Daillon ou encore la famille Acarie. Cette famille, dont les hommes étaient d'illustres militaires, a vécu au château plus de 300 ans et a réalisé d'importants travaux d'agrandissement...   Son surnom de " Château du Chat Botté " remonte au XVIIe siècle, quand il fut la propriété du vrai Marquis de Carabas dont s'inspira Charles Perrault pour écrire son célèbre conte !
    • CRAZANNES CASTLE Crazannes, Charente-Maritime Built during the 14th and 15th centuries, classified as a historical monument in 1913, Crazannes Castle is one of the oldest castles in Charente-Maritime. Its building started during the 14th century, in place of a former medieval fortress from the 11th century, from which there remains the chapel, the moats and the dungeon (vestiges of the surrounding walls). Initially owned by lords of Tonnay-Charente, this site has then had many owners among whom Jacques Poussard (counselor of Charles VI), the Daillon family and the Acarie family. This family lived in the castle for more than 300 years and carried out important works to enlarge it. It was given the surname of “Castle of the Booted Cat” in the 17 th century, when it was owned by the true Marquis de Carabas who inspired Charles Perrault’s famous tale ! 
    • CHÂTEAU DE LA ROCHECOURBON Autour de 1475, Jehan II de Latour construit une puissante forteresse, nommée la ROMETTE. Elle devient le Château de la Roche Courbon au XVII siècle, lorsqu'elle est transformée par le marquis Jean-Louis de Courbon. Puis, vers 1710 elle est en partie détruite par un incendie. Deux cents ans plus tard, en 1925, vendu aux enchères, le site est classé Monument Historique pour partie et en 1946 dans son ensemble. Toujours en ruines, il s'ouvre à la visite. Pierre LOTI admire et s'attriste pour ce château. En 1908 il lance un appel à l'aide dans le Figaro : « Qui veut sauver de la mort une forêt avec son château féodal campé au milieu, dont personne ne sait plus l'âge ? ». Quinze ans plus tard, Paul CHÉNEREAU, ému par cet appel, décide de sauver le domaine. En 1990, un nouvel incendie dévaste la grange qui est heureusement rapidement restaurée. En 2004, le château obtient le label d’Etat « Jardins remarquables ». Actuellement, en raison des grottes préhistoriques sous le château, il dispose d'un musée de la préhistoire.  Ce dernier n'est pas sa seule originalité... Le 9 octobre 1977, à 21h10 heures, trois personnes déclarent être témoins de la venue d'un OVNI. Plaisanterie, mythe, réalité ? Il semblerait que le château n'ait toujours pas révélé tous ses secrets...
    • LA ROCHE-COURBON CASTLE St-Porchaire, Charente-Maritime Around 1475, Jehan II de Latour built a powerful fortress named «  the Romette ». It became the Château de la Roche Courbon in the seventeenth century, when it was transformed by Marquis Jean-Louis de Courbon. In 1710, it was partly destroyed by a fire. Two hundred years later, in 1925, sold at auction, the site was classified as a historical monument in part, and in 1946 as a whole. Still in ruins, it opens to visitors. Pierre Loti an artist, admired the castle. In 1908 he launched an appeal to help in the Figaro : "Who wants to save a forest of death with its castle camped in the middle, that nobody knows the age ?". Fifteen years later, Paul CHÉNEREAU, moved by this appeal, decided to save the field. In 1990, another fire destroyed the barn, but it was fortunately quickl restored. In 2004, the castle got the label state "Remarkable gardens." Today, thanks to the prehistoric caves beneath the castle, it has a museum of prehistory. This is not its only originality... October 09th, 1977 at 9:10 pm, three people reported being witness to the arrival of a UFO. Was it a joke, myth, reality? Maybe the castle has still not revealed all its secrets ...
    • VIEUX-PORT DE LA ROCHELLE ET SES TOURS Le  Vieux-Port  de  La Rochelle est le port historique de la ville. Les deux tours médiévales qui gardent l'entrée l'ont rendu mondialement célèbre. C'est grâce à ce port que La Rochelle a pris de l'importance durant la Guerre de Cent ans, puis avec la découverte de l'Amérique. Au 17è siècle et au 18è siècle, le Vieux-Port de La Rochelle a drainé plus de la moitié du trafic colonial vers la Nouvelle-France, ce qui en fait aujourd'hui un lieu de pèlerinage pour de nombreux touristes. Le port a été construit au 13ème siècle, les quais datent du 18ème et 19ème siècle.
    • OLD HARBOUR AND TOWERS La Rochelle, Charente-Maritime The harbour of La Rochelle is the historic harbour of the city. The medieval towers to save the entry are famous all over the world. It thanks to the harbour that's La Rochelle takes importance during de the Hundred Years War, then with the discovery of America. In the 17 th and 18th centuries, the harbour of La Rochelle drained more than half of the trafic to colonial New France, making it today a place of pilgrimage for tourists. The harbour was built in the 13 th century and his quay in 18th and 19th centuries.
    • VIEUX-PORT DE LA ROCHELLE ET SES TOURS Parmi les édifices autour du Vieux Port de La Rochelle, on découvrira la Tour de la Lanterne qui fut érigée au 15ème siècle. Haute de 55 mètres elle servit de prison aux Anglais, Hollandais ou Espagnols. La Tour de la Chaîne forme avec la Tour Saint-Nicolas la porte d’entrée du port de La Rochelle.  L’architecte  Juste Lisch rénova l'extérieur de celle ci entre 1884 et 1888. La Tour de la Chaîne se nomme ainsi car une chaîne robuste était tendue depuis cette tour jusqu’à la Tour Saint-Nicolas sur l’autre rive afin de barrer l’accès au port. Il existait à l’époque deux tours de la Chaîne, l’une plus petite, datant du 13ème siècle, où était attachée la chaîne et l’autre plus grande, construite entre 1378 et 1380, où logeait le capitaine de la garnison qui veillait à la défense du port. La petite tour fut détruite en 1827 pour élargir l’entrée du port.
    • OLD HARBOUR AND TOWERS La Rochelle, Charente-Maritime Among the buildings around the Old Harbour of La Rochelle, we discover the Lantern Tower, which was built in the 15 century. High of 55 meters, it served as a prison for English, Dutch and Spanish. The Chain Tower forms with St. Nicholas Tower the door of the harbour of La Rochelle. The architect Juste Lisch renovated the exterior of this one between 1884 and 1888. The Chain Tower is called so because a robust chain was stretched from this tower to St. Nicholas Tower on the other side to block access to the harbour. There were two towers at that time, the smallest built in the 13 th century, which was attached to the chain, and the largest one, built between 1378 and 1380, which housed the captain of the garrison who watched the defence of the harbour. The small tower was destroyed in 1827 to expand the harbour. th
    • HÔTEL DE VILLE DE LA ROCHELLE L’hôtel de ville de La Rochelle héberge la mairie de la ville de La Rochelle depuis 1298. Entre 1628 et 1748, le bâtiment est la résidence du Gouverneur de l'Aunis et de la Ville avant de redevenir la maison de la ville. Il est classé au titre des monuments historiques depuis le 27 décembre 1861. Largement détérioré, le bâtiment subit, à la fin du XIX e siècle, une lourde restauration, mêlant restauration à l'identique, transformation et extension de bâtiment.
    • CITY HALL OF LA ROCHELLE Charente-Maritime The building is the city hall of La Rochelle since 1298. Between 1628 and 1748, the building is the residence of the Governor of Aunis and the City before becoming again the house of the city. It is classified as a historical monument since December 27th, 1861. Widely damaged, the building undergoes, in the end of the XIXth century, a heavy restoration, mixing restoration as before, transformation and extension of building.
    • PHARE DE CORDOUAN À la fin du XVIe siècle, pour assurer la sécurité des vaisseaux et de la navigation, le Maréchal de Matignon et son ami Michel de Montaigne passèrent commande à Louis de Foix, un ingénieurarchitecte, le 2 mars 1584. Le phare de Cordouan a 6 étages. Pour arriver jusqu'à la lanterne il faut gravir 311 marches. Il est le 2ème plus grand phare de France avec 68 mètres de hauteur. Il est aussi le plus vieux phare d'Europe. Il a fêté ses 400 ans en 2012. Il est le premier phare classé monument historique en 1862 et l'unique phare en mer au monde, ouvert au public. Il est appelé le "le Versailles des mers".
    • CORDOUAN LIGHTHOUSE Verdon-sur-Mer, Gironde At the end of the 16th century, to assure the safety of their vessels and of the navigation, Matignon's Marshall and his friend Michel de Montaigne placed order from Louis de Foix, engineer-architect, on March 2nd 1524. Cordouan lighthouse has six upstairs. Until the lantern's top, you have to climb 311 steps. It's the second highest French lighthouse with 68 meters. It's the oldest European lighthouse too. It's today 400 years-old. It's the first lighthouse to be historical monument in 1862 and the only one in sea in the world, open to public. It's called "le Versailles des mers".
    • FORT VAUBAN Le Fort Vauban se trouve à Fouras, dans le département de Charente maritime. Le fort possède un donjon, une cour, un rempart mais aussi une crypte. Il a été construit au cours du XIe siècle, c'est un château qui contrôle l'estuaire et qui sert de péage. Le fort a été détruit vers 1351 et a été reconstruit en 1480 par Jean II de Brosse qui était maréchal de France. A partir de 1666, il devient une pièce importante du système de défense du littoral charentais grâce à la construction de l'arsenal de Rochefort. François Ferry (ingénieur du roi Louis XIV) transforme la demeure seigneuriale en « fort à la mer » de 1689 à 1693, il crée une plate-forme de tir pour 9 canons à 36 mètre au-dessus de la mer. A la fermeture de l'arsenal de Rochefort en 1927, le fort ne sert plus. C'est en 1937 qu'il est classé monument historique. Ainsi, de 1666 à 1927, il a servi de protection contre les ennemis, mais aujourd'hui c'est un musée d'histoire régionale .
    • Fort Vauban, also called « Fort de Fouras » or « Sémaphore de Fouras » is located in Fouras in Charente-maritime. The fortress contains a keep, a courtyard, a wall and a crypt. It was built during the eleventh century, it was a castle which controled the estuary and which served as a toll. It was destroyed in 1351 and rebuilt in 1480 by Jean II de Brosse, a French Marshal. In 1666, it becomes an important part of Charente's coast defence thanks to the construction of Rochefort's arsenal. François Ferry (engineer of king Louis XIV) transformed it between 1689 and 1693 : it became a Seigneurial house, in a Fortified town. He created a shooting platform with nine cannons on it 36 meters above the sea. In 1927, at the the arsenal's closure, it wasn't used anymore. In 1937, it became a historic monument. Between 1666 and 1927, it protected of invaders but now it's a history museum. FORT VAUBAN Fouras, Charente-Maritime
    • FORT LOUVOIS Le fort Louvois est une fortification située sur le rocher du Chapus, au pied du pont de l'Ile d'Oléron. Le projet de construction a été réalisé par le marquis de Louvois, puis confié à l'ingénieur François Ferry. Sa première fonction était de croiser les tirs de canons avec la citadelle d'Oléron afin de défendre l'arsenal de Rochefort et d'assurer un point de communication avec l'île. Il est classé monument historique depuis 1929. Pendant la seconde guerre mondiale, il est sévèrement bombardé en 1944, lors de la libération de Marennes. Il est alors entièrement restauré en 1960 par la DRAC (direction régionale des affaires culturelles). Le Fort Louvois est présent dans le générique de la célèbre émission Fort Boyard.
    • FORT LOUVOIS Bourcefranc-le-Chapus, Charente-Maritime Fort Louvois is a fortification located on the rock Chapus, near the bridge of the isle of Oléron. The construction's project was made for marquis Louvois, and entrusted by engineer François Ferry. Its primary function was to cross the gunfire with the citadel of Oléron to defend the arsenal of Rochefort and provide a point of communication with the isle. It has been classified as a historic monument since 1929. During world war II, it was severely bombed in 1944 during the liberation of Marennes. Then, it was completely restored in 1960 by the DRAC (Regional Directorate of Cultural Affairs). Fort Louvois is now present in the famous TV show « Fort Boyard ».
    • FORTIFICATIONS DE ST-MARTIN-DERÉ Inscrites au patrimoine mondial de l'UNESCO depuis 2008, les fortifications de St-Martin-de-Ré sont facilement reconnaissables à leur forme en étoile et par le caractère unique de leurs dimensions (un demi cercle de 1,5 km de rayon et plus de 14 km de murailles). Construites sous Louis XIV, par Vauban (grand ingénieur en architecture militaire) de 1681 à 1685, leur fonction était de protéger et défendre le port de La Rochelle et l'Arsenal de Rochefort des attaques anglaises. La taille des fortifications s'explique par le fait que la ville se devait de protéger l'ensemble de la population de l'île en cas d'attaque. Les fortifications sont extrêmement bien conservées, et n'ont subi aucune restauration majeure. Elles sont aujourd'hui un exemple unique de fortifications insulaires à travers le monde.
    • FORTIFICATIONS OF ST. MARTIN Saint-Martin-de-Ré, Charente-Maritime Registered in Unesco World Heritage since 2008, the walls of St Martin de Ré are easily recognizable with their star shape (semicircle of 1,5km radius and 14km at walls). Built under king Louis XIV, by Vauban (engineer of the military architecture) from 1681 to 1685, their function was to protect and defend the Harbour of La Rochelle and the Arsenal of Rochefort from English attacks. The size of the walls is explained by the fact that the city had to protect the population of the island when attacked. The walls are extremely well preserved and did not undergo important restoration. Today, they are the only example of insular walls in the world.
    • FORT BOYARD Le Fort Boyard est, comme son nom l'indique, un fort qui se trouve entre l'île d'Aix et l'île d'Oléron. Sa construction commence en 1804 et se termine en 1857. Il appartient initialement à l'armée française. L'architecte est d'ailleurs un génie militaire français. Ce fort était à l'origine construit pour protéger l'arsenal de Roche-fort, il était dans une zone totalement hors d'atteinte pour les canons de l'ennemi, il devait également servir de prison. Le fort est ovale et il mesure 68 m de long sur 31 m de large. Sa superficie total est de 2 689 m². Il est construit sur un banc de sable nommé « longe de Boyard » auquel le fort doit son nom. Aujourd'hui son propriétaire est le Conseil général de la Charente Maritime, le Fort Boyard est inscrit à l’inventaire des Monuments Historiques et il est utilisé comme lieu de tournage du jeu télévisé Fort Boyard.
    • FORT BOYARD Dolus d'Oléron, Charente-Maritime « Fort Boyard » is, as its name says, a fortification situated between the island of Aix and the island of Oléron. Its construction began in 1804 and ended in 1857, it initially belonged to the French army. Moreover, the architect was a French military genius. That fortification was originally built to protect Rochefort's arsenal. At its location, it was in a zone completely out of reach for the enemy's cannons, it was also used as a prison. Fort Boyard is oval, it is 68 meters long for 31 meters wide. Its total area is 2.689 m². It is built on a sandbank called « longe de Boyard » from which it owes its name. Today its owner is the General Council of Charente Maritime. Fort Boyard is registered and used as the location for the TV show Fort Boyard.
    • PHARE DES BALEINES En réalité il y a deux phares des Baleines. En effet en 1825 on décida de construire une nouvelle tour plus grande que celle de Vauban, soit en mer, soit sur la pointe rocheuse des Baleines. En 1849 sous les ordres de Léonce Reynaud (architecte) l'on commença simultanément la construction du grand phare actuel mais aussi celle d'un phare de troisième ordre en mer, le phare du Haut Banc Nord, appelé aussi phare des Baleineaux. Le phare des Baleines fut allumé en 1854, il a fonctionné au pétrole jusqu'en 1882, puis a été doté d'une centrale de production d'énergie électrique à vapeur vers 1904. Enfin, il a été raccordé au réseau électrique après la seconde guerre mondiale. Le grand phare des Baleines est un phare de premier ordre, dit aussi phare d'atterrissage, il est équipé d'optiques de Fresnel (toujours en service), dont la taille permet d'éclairer le plus loin possible. Ce bâtiment est une tour octogonale en pierres apparentes et le soubassement est en granit bleu de Kersanton. Sa hauteur est de 57 m et sa portée de 39 km.
    • WHALES LIGHTHOUSE Saint-Clément-des-Baleines, Charente-Maritime In reality, there are two Whales lighthouses. In 1825, it was decided to build a new tower greater than Vauban’s, either at sea or on the Whales rock. In 1849 under the command of Léonce Reynaud (architect) simultaneously began the construction of the large current lighthouse but also a third order one at sea, the Bench of the High North lighthouse, also called the Light of Calves. The Whales lighthouse was lit in 1854. It worked with oil until 1882, and then with a central steam electric Power Production since 1904. Finally, it was connected to the grid after the Second World War. The great Whales lighthouse is a beacon of first order also said landing light, it is equipped with Fresnel optics (still in use), whose size can illuminate as far as possible. This building is an octagonal tower with stonework and its base is made with blue Kersanton granite. Its height is 57 m and has a 39 km range.
    • VILLA LA JETÉE Bâti en 1903 (1er quart du 20e siècle) par l’architecteCotton, cet hôtel particulier connu également sous le nom de Château Bugeau, est inscrit aux Monuments Historiques depuis le 2 février 2007. Elle se trouve au 3 boulevard de La Jetée et fait partie des 5 constructions répertoriées de Fouras. Cette villa a servi de cadre à des romans et à des séries télévisées. Elle est aujourd'hui propriété privée.
    • VILLA LA JETÉE Fouras, Charente-Maritime Built in 1903 (1st quarter of the 20th century) by Cotton (an architect), this mansion, known also under the name of Castle Bugeau, was registered as Historical monument on February 2nd, 2007. It is located in 3 boulevard of The Pier and is part of 5 constructions listed among Fouras Histo-rical Monuments. This villa was used to realize novels or television series. Today property of a person. it is private
    • GARE DE LA ROCHELLE La gare de la Rochelle est une gare ferroviaire qui se trouve sur la commune de la Rochelle, en Charente-Maritime (Poitou-Charentes). C'est le 6 janvier 1857 que la gare de la Rochelle-PO est mise en service par la Compagnie du chemin de fer de Paris à Orléans. La gare était située à l'origine sous les remparts de la ville, près de la porte Saint-Nicolas. L’actuel bâtiment de la gare, qui comprend une tour de l’Horloge haute de 45 mètres, a été construit en 1922 par Pierre Esquié pour les Chemins de Fer de l’Etat, en remplacement de la gare antérieure. Il a été restauré par Franck Beck et Luc Mouret au début des années 90 pour l’arrivée du TGV Atlantique. La tour de la gare de La Rochelle, ses façades, ses toitures, son hall et ses mosaïques sont inscrits au titre des monuments historiques depuis le 27 avril 1984.
    • LA ROCHELLE RAILWAY STATION Charente-Maritime La Rochelle station is a railway station which is located in the town of La Rochelle, Charente-Maritime (Poitou-Charentes). January 6, 1857 the station of La Rochelle-PO is commissioned by the Company of the railway from Paris to Orleans. The station is located at the origin close to the walls of La Rochelle, near the Porte The station building, which includes a 45-metre-tall clock tower, was built in 1922 by Pierre Esquié for the National Railway, replacing the older building. The station was renovated by Franck Beck and Luc Mouret in the early 1990s for the arrival of the TGV Atlantique. The tower of the station, its facades, its roofs, the lobby and the mosaics in the station of La Rochelle have been registered as parts of the historic monument since of April 27, 1984.
    • PONT DE L’ÎLE DE RÉ Le pont de l'île de Ré, situé en Charente-Maritime, va du lieu dit La Repentie, qui est proche du port de la Pallice au nord-ouest de La Rochelle, jusqu'à à la pointe de Sablanceaux à Rivedoux-Plage à l'Est de l'île de Ré. La construction de ce pont a été décidée par le conseil général de la Charente-Maritime, en 1980 et en vertu d'un arrêté d'utilité publique par le préfet de Charente-Maritime le 28 août 1984. Ce pont a été construit pour assurer la continuité territoriale entre le continent et l'île de Ré. Cette construction a été confiée à l'entreprise Bouygues et a débuté le 26 février 1987. La construction de ce pont a été terminée en 23 mois à peine, après quoi a suivi son inauguration le 19 mai 1988. Ce pont culmine à 42 mètres au dessus de la mer et mesure 2926,5 mètres de long. Après le pont de SaintNazaire, il est aujourd'hui le plus long pont de France.
    • RÉ ISLAND BRIDGE La Rochelle, Charente-Maritime The bridge of the island of Ré, situated in Charente-Maritime, links the industrial harbour of La Pallice, northwest of La Rochelle, to the eastern extremity of the island of Ré. The construction of this bridge was decided by the General Council of Charente-Maritime in 1980. This bridge was built to ensure territorial continuity between the continent and the island of Ré. This construction was entrusted to the company Bouygues and began on February 26th 1987. The construction of this bridge was completed in just 23 months, after which followed its inauguration on May 19th 1988. The bridge rises 42 meters above the sea and connects the island of Ré and La Rochelle with a length of 2926.5 meters. After the bridge of Saint-Nazaire, today it is the longest bridge in France.