1. PROJECT MANAGEMENT
Concepts and Cases
Certiﬁed Six Sigma Black Belt
Certiﬁed Project Management Professional (PMP)
Jeremy Jay V. Lim
2. What is a Project?
What is Project Life Cycle?
What are Project
Project Management Pillars
3. WHAT IS A PROJECT?
4. A Project is...
5. We do projects because..
Projects make it "possible"
BUT Operational processes give us the results
and beneﬁts of the projects on an ongoing basis.
6. A Project is a means to create ...
7. A Project is...
8. A Project is...
9. A Project is...
A Project is A TEMPORARY ENDEAVOR
undertaken to create
A UNIQUE PRODUCT, SERVICE or RESULT!
10. A Project is of ...
11. Keep in mind...
12. Keep in mind...
13. Keep in mind...
There's always a challenge in a project
Pushing too much in one direction causes
problems on the other.
It's called the "Project Constraints"
14. That's why Project Management is
15. And the role and responsibilities of
a project manager are ..
16. And the cross-cutting skills
and traits of an effective
project manager are ..
17. And the cross-cutting skills
and traits of an effective
project manager are ..
projects can a
handle at one
19. WHAT IS A PROJECT
20. Project Life Cycle
21. Project Life Cycle
Initiating Process Group.
Those processes performed to deﬁne a new project or a new phase of an
existing project by obtaining to start the project or phase.
22. Project Life Cycle
Planning Process Group.
Those processes required to establish the scope of the project, reﬁne the
objectives, and deﬁne the course of action required to attain the objectives
that the project was undertaken to achieve.
23. Project Life Cycle
Executing Process Group.
Those processes performed to complete the work deﬁned in the project
management plan to satisfy the project speciﬁcations.
24. Project Life Cycle
Monitoring & Controlling Process Group.
Those processes required to track, review, and regulate the progress
and performance of the project; identify any ares in which changes to
the plan are required; and initiate the corresponding changes.
25. Project Life Cycle
Closing Process Group.
Those processes performed to ﬁnalize all activities across all Process Groups
to formally close the project or phase.
26. Effort Spent in the Process Groups
How do you save a
that no one wants
28. WHAT ARE THE
29. PROJECT MANAGEMENT CORE PROCESSES
Or Knowledge Areas
Making sure that
with the project are
engaged and their
33. Project Integration: "Getting the job done"
4.1. Getting the project charter approved to be authorized to control the budget and assign resources
4.2. Planning all of the work that's going to happen throughout the project
4.3. Directing the work once it gets started
4.4. Monitoring the way the work progresses and looking for potential problems
4.5. Looking out for changes, understanding their impacts, and making sure they don't derail the
4.6. Closing out the project and making sure that there are no loose ends when it's over
34. Project Integration: "Getting the job done"
35. Steps when making a Project Charter
States the need,
expected project beneﬁt
and the compelling
reason to do the project
36. Steps after making a Project Charter
Identify Stakeholders is
part of Stakeholders
37. Project Scope: "Doing the right stuﬀ"
38. Steps when deﬁning Project Scope
39. When Project Scope is poorly deﬁned
40. Project Schedule: "Getting it done on time"
41. Project Schedule: "Getting it done on time"
42. Steps when deﬁning Project Schedule
43. Steps when deﬁning Project Schedule
44. Different techniques of Determining Activity Duration
45. Computing Activity Duration with 3-Point Estimate
46. Let's try identifying the technique used
47. Project Cost: "Watching the Bottom Line"
48. Inputs Needed when Creating the Project Budget
49. Accuracy of Budget Forecast throughout the Life Cycle
100% - (-50%) = 150%
50% - (-30%) = 80%
-20% - (+30%) = 50%
20% - (-15%) = 80%
15% - (-10%) = 25*%
50. Steps when Creating Project Budget
51. Steps when Computing Project Costs
52. Behavior of Project Cost
53. Behavior of Project Cost (2)
54. Behavior of Project Cost (3)
55. Let's Compute Project Cost Performance
56. How to Interpret Project Cost Performance
57. Project Quality: "Getting it Right"
58. Steps when deﬁning Project Quality
59. Human Resources: "Getting the team together"
60. Steps when Forming the Project Team
61. Tips when Forming the Project Team
62. Tips when Assigning Roles and Responsibilities
63. Steps when Forming the Project Team
64. Project Comm'ns: "Getting the words out"
65. 90% of the Project Manager's job is
66. Communication Techniques
67. Ways of Communicating Out the Project Status
68. More People, More Connections
69. Let's try ...
70. Project Risk: "Planning for the Unknown"
71. Steps when Managing Project Risks
74. Project Procurement: "Getting some Help"
75. And remember,
in each failed contracted service
there is a frustrated project manager
76. Procurement is an Intuitive Process
Plan what to contract
Plan how to contract
Contact Sellers re.
Sellers bid for a contract
Select best Seller
Sign contract with Seller
Monitor adherence to
Close out Contract
79. Steps when Managing Project Procurements
80. Steps when Managing Project Procurements
81. Stakeholders Mgt: "Managing Expectations"
Knowing the PM
processes now, is
there anything you
would have done
How do you work
with people not
familiar with Project