1. Building the Future of Tourism: Competitiveness through Innovation<br />Pellervo Kokkonen, Programme Director, Tourism and Experience Management Centre of Expertise<br />Savonlinna Innovation Centre Ltd.Savonlinna, Finland<br />
2. OSKE: Growth, profit and competitivenessKnowledge, tools and best practices <br />Vision 2020: Finnish travel & leisure business is growing, profitable and internationally competitive. <br />Mission: Tourism and Experience Management Competence OSKE Clusterprovides growth oriented companies latest knowledge, signals and tools to strengthen their core competences in creating sustainable and consumer focused business models.<br />What<br />How<br />Strengthening of expertise<br />Tools and <br />Best practices<br />Information dissemination<br />Foresight and research<br />Collaboration with tourism businesses and related interest groups<br />Internationalization, sustainability, networked business models<br />OSKE: Finnish Centres of Expertise Programme<br />
3. Many faces of innovation in services and tourism<br />Customer / marketinnovation<br />Productinnovation<br />Processinnovation<br />Resourceinnovation<br />Changes in the business environment<br />
4. Destination lifecycle – innovation in different development phases of destination<br />Rejuvenation<br />A<br />Numberof tourists<br />B<br />Criticalrange of elements of capacity<br />Stagnation<br />C<br />D<br />Consolidation<br />Decline<br />E<br />Development<br />Involvement<br />Exploration<br />Time<br />Source: Hypothetical Evolution of a Tourist Area (Adapted from Miller and Gallucci, 2004) <br />Resourceinnovation<br />Processinnovation<br />Customer/marketinnovation<br />Productinnovation<br />
5. Entrepreneurshave a naturalinstinct for innovation<br />Science and technology based innovation (STI)<br />Estimate: Science-based innovation accounts only to some 4 % of total innovation activity<br />Mainstream of official innovation policies in the EU<br />DUI – Doing, understanding, interacting<br />Multidisciplinary, non-linear<br />Real strengths in empowering and engaging personnel, customers, suppliers, partners, local inhabitants<br />Challenge for official policy to encourage and support open, practice-based innovation environments. <br />Tourism and Experience Management Cluster Programme is a Finnish experiment in that direction.<br />
6. Tourism Innovation in SME networks: Case SaimaaHoliday: Saimaa Holiday Network<br />The winner!!! EDEN aquatictourism 2010, 4th June 2010<br /><ul><li>www.saimaaholiday.net</li></li></ul><li>Practice-basedinnovationprocess in Saimaa Holiday – tourskating<br />Perceived need - combating strong seasonality<br />Identification of resources and competencies - ice, national park, skills in skating<br />Benchmarking - trips to winter destinations<br />Brainstorming and planning sessions - product development<br />International benchmarking trips<br />Developing competencies - route maintenance very important<br />Networking with stakeholders: local inhabitants, management of national park<br />Product testing and final development, first customers <br />Financing development and marketing: enterprise promotion, public financing<br />Complementary technological innovation (machinery for working the ice, plane)<br />Business model integration, revenue model and pricing<br />Introduction to market<br />
7. Climb up the value chain with innovation<br />Saimaa Holiday demonstrates in a conreticalwaythatcontinuousinnovation is a way to increasecompetetitiveness in the market<br />Increasecustomervaluebyprovidinggoodcustomerexperience.<br />Provideaddedvaluebymanaging the business networkmoreeffectively.<br />Keepup the interest of customers and maintaincompetitivenessthroughcontinuousrenewal.<br />Interactwith and learnfrom (and togetherwith) customers.<br />Company/networkbasedinnovationactivities<br />Externalexpertise, facilitatedinnovationactivities<br />
8. Services through the OSKE Cluster programme<br /><ul><li>tools for development projects planning, ..
9. best practices in eTourism, experience management, service design..
11. innovation services..
12. experience management
13. service design</li></ul>Customer / marketinnovation<br />Productinnovation<br /><ul><li>cultural, well-being and aquatic tourism
14. project planning and management tools
15. advice on financing
16. partners through networking</li></ul>Processinnovation<br />Resourceinnovation<br /><ul><li>user centered design (service design)
17. experience management
19. eTourism, ecommerce, sales channels</li></ul>Changes in the business environment<br /><ul><li>scenarios and trends
20. consumer needs
21. latest academic research</li></li></ul><li>Any questions, comments?Thank youFor more information: www.experiencebusiness.fi<br />For more information: www.experiencebusiness.fi<br />