1. Public school management in CatalunyaGoverning bodies of educational centresHeadmaster selectionManagement training
2. 2Governing bodies: RegulationsLECEducation law in CatalunyaDecree 102/2010Regarding autonomy ofpublic educationalschoolsDecree 155/2010Regarding managementof public educationalschoolsDecree 177/2010, regardingassessment agencySCHOOL’S AUTONOMYSCHOOL’S ASSESSMENTSCHOOL’S MANAGEMENT
3. 3Unipersonal and collegiate:HeadmasterSchool facultySchool management staffSchool councilGoverning bodies
4. 4HeadmasterResponsible for With functions ofOrganisationOperationAdministrationSchool communityleadershipEducational leadershipRepresentationResource management
5. 5Teaching staffCollegiate body.Body of teachers participating in the control andmanagement of educational activities and jointeducational aspects of the school.Comprises the entire faculty and chaired by theheadmaster.
6. 6School management staffExecutive governing body of public schools.Comprising:• The head/director of studies (appointed by the schoolheadmaster).• The secretary (appointed by the school headmaster).• The headmaster.• Other additional organs (appointed by the schoolheadmaster).
7. 7School councilCollegiate body.School community body that participates in the centre’sgovernment.Composed of the headmaster, the head of studies andrepresentatives of teachers, families, students,administration staff, education and care staff and the citycouncil.
8. 8LEC(Education law) 2009Decree 155/2010Regarding management of publiceducational schools andprofessional teaching managersDecree 102/2010Regarding autonomy of public educational schools School management(Selection process)Resolution ENS/3009/2012Professional schoolmanagement(Accreditation process)Resolution ENS/57/2012Public schools management: Regulation
9. 9Headmaster selection• The selection is made by means of an examination basedon merits. The Education Department organises regular publiccompetitions based on merits in schools with headmastervacancies .•A committee makes the selection and acts as a collegiatebody for every school, comprising:–Three Administration representatives (two from EducationalAdministration and one from the City Council).–Three school council members (not teachers).–Three members from the teaching staff.
10. 10Selection process. Evaluation of merits.The procedure comprises two eliminatory stages:• Stage 1. It assesses:– management and teaching competence and experience– specific management and academic training• Stage 2. It assesses:– management project– leadership skills
11. 11Headteacher’s appointment• The selected candidate must pass a trainingprogramme.• The term of office is 4 years.
12. 12The renewal of the mandate• The headmaster may choose to continue in office foranother term if:– the performance of management has been assessedpositively– he presents the update of his management project• The renewal of the mandate can be repeated for up to fourterms (16 years).• If the management performance evaluation is negativeduring a period, the headmaster cannot be renewed foradditional term.
13. 13Accreditation of professional school managing bodiesProcess:• The Education Department organises public competition.Accreditation committee will evaluate:• Additional management experience.• The suitable candidate profile for management.• Knowledge about performing the functions correspondingto a professional position in school management.
14. 14HEADMASTER PROFESSIONAL TEACHING DIRECTIVETechnical Committee ofevery areaANNUALEVALUATIONEVALUATIONQUADRIENNIALSchoolInspectorateNEGATIVEPOSITIVE POSITIVE NEGATIVEConsolidationRenewalConsolidationRenewalLoss of DPDaccreditationNo renewalNo consolidationNo renewalNo consolidationManagement evaluationEVALUATIONQUADRIENNIALPOSITIVE NEGATIVERevision ConsolidationRenewal
15. 15EducationalleadershipTraining forexercisingschoolmanagementManagement skills: Strategic vision, problem analysis andcitizenship orientation. Management and administration of teamsin the educational context. Educationalleadership. Teamwork, networking. Planning, quality and control in curriculumand general management of schools. Resource management and recruitmentprocedures in the school context.Public school management training
16. 16Objectives:Training professionals able to achieve- improvement of educational outcomes- involvement of teachers and school communityClassification:A. Induction: for headmasters in their first term and teachers in general.B. Continuing: for management teams. Programmes aimed to improve the qualityof management practices and school’s leadership.C. Professional: for headteachers with at least one full mandate with positiveevaluation (course or master). Pending development.Public school management training
17. 17 A1. Initial training for the management of public educational centres A2. Specífic training programme for the incorporation of publiceducational schools management.Duration: 155 hours127 face-to-face28 onlineDurada: 60 hours40 face-to-face20 onlineMethodologyTheoretical andpractical, analysing andsolving practical casesAims:To set up a framework for managementtheory and practice, from the perspective ofpublic administration.To train for the practice of educational andorganisational leadership that enables theindependent management of centres, takingresponsability and accountability.A. InductionPublic school management training
18. 18 B1. Training programme in leadership and management of publicschools: thematic modules of approximately 30 hours. May be taken in flexiblestudy modes. B2. Direct support for economic management session: about 4hours aimed at all public schools from the department of Education. B3. Training sessions for analysis and interpretation of students’educational outcomes: about 6 hours, aimed to all public schools from thedepartment of Education to provide technical skills and develop strategies thatimprove the ability to make decisions. B4. SAGA application training sessionB4. SAGA application training session: useful for administrative andacademic management in public schools. Aimed at management teams.B. Continuing trainingPublic school management training