The Pilgrims’ Landing and First Winter
1) Why did several men volunteer to explore the land instead of using the shallop?
2) What two reasons did the men have for following the Indians into the woods?
3) What items did the men find when they reached the Indian village?
4) What do the Puritans assume to be true about the Indians before the two groups have even met?
5)How can you tell that the Indians were a civilized group of people?
6) What might the Puritans have done to keep the Indians from running away from them?
7) What part or parts of this account might have inspired European readers to follow the Puritans to
8) What challenges did the Puritans face when they arrived in America?
9) Do you find the Puritans’ actions sensible? Explain.
Importunity n.: Urgent demands
Shallopn.: Small open boat
Meet adj.: Old English word meaning “proper” or “fit.”
Forsook v.: Abandoned
Sentinels n.: Guards
Divers adj.: Diverse
Aught n.: Anything