1. Skyfollow Consulting Group
Social Media Sensing Improves Your Strategy
Introduction to Social Media Analytics
Chris Rigatuso, Anand Nagarajan
2. Mission Statement
Design, Execute and Measure
Social Media Campaigns
for Strategic Goals
Visualize Strategy & Execute Against Metrics
3. What is Social Media?
The digital content on
various websites and
internet applications created
by individuals for individuals
that is publicly viewable.
Eg: Twitter, Linkedin, Digg, Facebook,
Forums, Msg Boards, etc…
4. What are Analytics?
Analytics Analytics Facets
Methods with tools & data Data Selection
sets that allow the Data Cleansing
visualization, numerical Data Format Translation
performance metrics and Model Design
Report and Dashboard Design
Right Data, Right Decisions
Why is it Videos
5. How do you tackle
this mess and
What skills are
6. How do customers inform each other using Social Media?
Do you measure their effects?
Why have a campaign that ignores those effects?
Do you see why this is Non-linear?
7. Social Media Sensing
Your Benefits are the results from Decisions and Actions
One time, short term or ongoing
You will be able to
1. See holes and opportunities
2. Know where to focus
3. Formulate correct strategy
4. Know what to say and on which media
5. Find problems with competitors to exploit
6. Know best topics on which to commit or avoid
7. Know most influential bloggers and leaders who are
8. Drill down to most relevant articles by various criteria
8. Revenue Models
Cash Flow Models
Market Loyalty Drivers
Strategy Research Segmentation
Story Creation Strategy &
Measurement Competitive Define
Creative Self-service Training
Animation For low Customer
Visualize Media Acquisition Cost
Reduce Social Expand Sales
Sales Cycles PPC Training &
Synergies Rule: From Story, Positioning, Strategy, Visualization, Content and Analytics
9. The Problem is not Lack of Data, its Actionable Analytics
This requires judgment, data quality, transformation, tools
selection and usage and marketing strategy experience.
Project Start Strategy Collection Findings
Products Combinations Accumulate Influencers
Competitors Load all Terms Validate Customers
Desires Ranks for Compare
Complaints Analytics Depth Extract Opportunities
Strategic Domain +
Stakeholders Proprietary Tools Tool Sophistication Data +
Interviews And Techniques Data Analysis Strategy
Brainstorming And Planning Experience
10. Hard Questions
• What should we be doing now in Social Media?
• What benefits can we achieve in Short Term ?
• What is it Worth ?
• How can we measure ROI ?
• Does it only pertain to Marketing ?
• If we are Listening, how do we measure value?
• Who needs to champion and support the initiative?
• What skills are necessary for the whole process?
• Are there industry best practices?
• How should we pick the team and consulting firm?
• How do we avoid wasting time and effort?
11. People move you Up - Not Tools
3. Social Media Sensing:
Analyzing the Right Information for the Right Goal, with the willingness
and capability to act on decisions throughout the organization
2. Social Media Listening:
Finding customers, and influencers and organizing their conversations
1. Social Media Monitoring:
Finding data and filling up tools and reports to see the noise
12. More Benefits: Dramatic Time Compression for Strategic
Projects Burdens Before Now with SCG $ Value Improvement
Market Man months Days, weeks < 3 Meet Market window deadlines
Research Manual statistics
PR/Media Limited scope Days, weeks < 3 Meet competitive visibility goals
planning Selected pubs
Competitive Published research Days, weeks < 3 Compare reactions, popularity,
Intelligence Paid to test products sharing and penetration of other
Convenience sample firms.
Product Mgmt, Best customers before Dynamically segment Discover new segments
focus groups, may be worst now with existing and potential Avoid losses on existing
surveys negative CLV customers without segments
calculations complete permission and selection Discover unmet needs
$X per segment
13. Start with People  Navigate Social Network  Customers
Links & Pathways
14. How do you leverage your Social Graph?
How could you?
15. Sample Customer Case Studies
• Product Management: Handset Mfg: measuring customer loyalty
models of smartphones, problems, opportunities and competitive
features and functions
• Legal Support: Online Ticketing mega merger: measuring trends in
sentiment, behavior, brand reputation, trust and reaction to legal
proceedings, price fixing and controlling access to ticket inventory
• PR Strategy: Iphone Apps: competitors use of media, volume, topics
to inform launch strategy, competitive weaknesses, and leverage PR
• Marketing and Partner Strategy: Open Source database: competitors
use of bloggers and conflicts of interest and affiliations across the
• E-commerce: Online Insurance: competitors use of keywords for
tracking issues for positioning new insurance products online, SEO
strategy. Forecasting potential volume and engagement
16. Ranking Pain Points: Billing is a Hotter Topic
17. Revealing Influence and Motivation
Which Bloggers have Conflicts?
How Influential are they?
18. We Customize dashboards to tell Your story for Your Goals
Awareness per channel Sales per channel
Cost per channel ROI per channel
19. Recognize Strategy as Process
Plan for Feedback Loops to Reveal and Leverage New Truths
New Online New Online
User Behaviours include Actions LISTEN Usage, attitudes, beliefs
Creating: User Generated Content LEARN Opportunities, Threats, Risks
Messages aligned to Brand Promise?
Promise? ADAPT Product, Process, People
Results reflect Brand Promise Goals?
Goals? OPTIMIZATION ADAPTS ROI
20. Reasons to Partner with SCG
• Analytics Depth in Marketing performance data. Statistics,
Dashboards, Decisions. Not limited to marketing metrics.
• Analytics data sources and dashboard or reporting views are
customized to your needs, your decision style
• Technical Depth in using tools, sources, APIs and databases
• Creative Power. Visual. Strategic.
• Theoretical Foundations, Broad Research Access
• Content Production. HD Video, Sound, Music, Animation
• Practical experience, strong in facilitation, training; mature
politically sensitive client engagement experience
21. SCG Partner Network
• Display and Ad Networks Mediahour.com
• SEM & PPC Campaigns
• Multi-channel analytics and reporting
customization and data source controls
• Marketing ROI and Sales strategy process &
• Search Engine Optimization and Web
• Site Design User Experience E-commerce.
• Brand Metrics. BrandMeaning.com
• Brand Strategy. TotemBrands.com
22. Skyfollow Contact
+1 (650) 274-1045