Wiliiam Harvey by Becca, Zoe, Michael and FelixPresentation Transcript
• Harvey was an English physician and a natural historian.• Worked for the royal family until he died.• In 1618 he became the physician to King James.• Studied at Cambridge, one of the best medical schools in Europe.• He became famous for discovering how blood circulated in animals.
• Studied at Cambridge University • Studied at Folkestone, where he learned Latin • Studied at King’s School in Canterbury• Graduated as a bachelor of arts in 1597• Travelled through Germany-Italy and went to Padua University in 1599
• Proved to society the pulse is a contraction, not a dilatation.• Proved that pulse is produced by arteries being filled with blood• There are no pores in the septum of theheart• Blood in arteries and veins is the same typeof blood• The heart is the very center of thecirculatory system
• Harvey contributed to the William Harvey Research Foundation • Big impact on heart surgeons • People maybe wouldn’t know how to treat heart attacks• Found similarities between the weather and circulatory system• Without his discoveries we might not have modern heart medicine
• Greatly influenced by Aristole • Was influenced by new technologies • Dr. Walter Pagel was an influence• Influenced by Fabriciuic ab Aquapendente • Influenced by Galileo Galilei.
• Anglican • Anglican was a type of Christianity• Was conformed to the established church • No evidence of him having serious religion