1. WHAT ARE WESUPPOSED TO DO WITH THESEMANAGERS NOW? Skip Angel
2. 25 Industry 7 Agile @skipangel
3. WE KNOW AGILEFOCUSES ON THE TEAM
4. YET SOME ARE LEFT ASKING “WHERE DO I FIT?”
5. ONE SUCH GROUP MANAGEMENT
6. HOW DID WE GET HERE?
7. “EVERYORGANIZATION ISPERFECTLY ALIGNEDTO ACHIEVE THERESULTS IT’SGETTING.” Stephen Covey
8. SO WHAT HAPPENED HERE?
9. THEORY X• If I did not drive my people • I ﬁnd that most people are constantly, they would not unambitious and must be get on with their work. forced to raise their sights.• I sometimes have to ﬁre • I keep my distance from somebody or tongue-lash the team since it is them to encourage others. necessary for effective Taylor command.• Leaders have to lead by making all key decisions themselves.
10. THEORY Y• If somebody falls down on the • People should appraise their job, I must ask myself what I bosses as well as be appraised did wrong. by them.• I should sometimes take a • Anyone can have creative, back seat at meetings and let innovative ideas if they are others take the lead. encouraged. Deming• If I ask someone for their opinion on an issue, I try to Plan do as they suggest. Act Do Check
11. NEW IDEAS EMERGE• Delighting the Customer• From Controller to Enabler• From Bureaucracy to Dynamic Linking• Radical Transparency• FromCommand to Conversations
12. ... AND WHERE DO WE GO?
13. What’s in it for me?OPTION 1: NEED TIME TO PROCESS CHANGE Will I be Am I gaining supported by the more than change? losing?
14. OPTION 2: CHANGE ROLES?
15. OPTION 3: NOTEVERYONE FITS?
16. OPTION 4: WILLING TORE-INVENT YOURSELF ?
17. MOVING FROM LEADER AS DIRECTING TOWARD....
18. LEADER ASCATALYSING
19. Directive Leadership Catalyst Leadership Analytical Thinking Systemic Thinking Either/Or Both/And Mutuality and Unilateral Control Collaboration Management through Management through design ofcoordination and control environments Deterministic Chaordic
20. ATTRIBUTES OF ACATALYST LEADER
21. INCLUSIVE, COLLABORATIVE
23. POSSIBILITY- ORIENTED
27. FOCUS AT ALL LEVELSOrganization Systems Thinking level Increasing throughput and not just cutting costs Servant LeadershipManagement Serving others — including employees, customers, level and community — is the number one priority Team Collaboration Quality Focus level
28. CHANGES IN MINDSET Organizational Systems Thinking Throughput and not 100% utilization is Multitasking reduces Emergence cost cutting harmful ROI Center on providing Progress visible & Being responsible Not Manufacturing Quality value to the customer transparent Team Sense of Urgency Continuous Individuals and Joint ownership Improvement interactions Working software Planning, Measure the right not the plans Rethink teams Rethink schedulesMiddle-Management things
29. WHERE CAN MANAGERS SUPPORT TEAMS?
30. Outcomes PrinciplesKeep it Barely Sufﬁcient Simple Minimal Processes Tools daption A through g Teams Learnin
31. REDUCE TEAM DEPENDENCIES Dev BA QA From Functional Teams...
32. UI DB Interfaces Servicesbeyond Component Teams to...
33. Feature Set 1 Feature Set 3 Feature Set 2 Feature Teams
35. MINIMIZE WASTE • Partial Work • Finding Info • Delays • Over Produce • Extra Steps • Defects • Handoffs
37. F ormal Re searchTra ining TimeINVEST IN LEARNING SetComm unities Based ractice of P D esign
38. WHERE CAN MANAGERS CHANGE THE ORGANIZATION?
39. EVERYBODY NEEDS TOUNDERSTAND STRATEGY
40. Culture of LearningCulture of Fear
41. OPTIMIZE THE WHOLE NOT THE PARTS 1 Hour 4 Hours 4 Hours 1 Day 4 Hours X 3 Days 10 X Days 10 X Days X 5 Days X 3 Days Approve Verify and Tech Code and DeployRequest and Fix Assessment Test Prioritize10 Min 10 Min 30 Min 4 Hours 2 Hours 1 Hour20 X Min 12 Hours X 6 Hours X5 Min 2 Hours 2 Hours
42. Utilization Queues & rate Bottlenecks Hours Worked Rate of Return Degree of multitasking Number of Cycle Time defects Time to form teamsBurnout Ability to respond to changes Effectiveness TeamTurnover energy Pressure to deliver EVERYBODY NEEDS TO SOLVE THE PROBLEMS
43. AGILE WILL HELP, BUT CANNOT ADDRESS ALL CHALLENGES
44. AGILE IS NOT A “DEV” THING BUT A SIGNIFICANT ORGANIZATIONAL CHANGE
45. AGILE IS NOT ADESTINATION BUT A JOURNEY
46. AGILE NEEDS STRONGLEADERS TO MAKE THEDIFFERENCE