The Education Ministers from 29 European
countries decided to harmonise and unify their
Higher Education. It has resulted in the Bologna
Process which currently has 47 participating
countries among them Hungary.
• Easily comparable system
• A Higher Education system which is based on 3
main cycles ( bachelor, master and doctor)
• Mobility - You can travel abroad to study easily
Admission to tertiary institutions
• Te get into a higher education institutions you must
successfully pass the upper secondary school leaving
examination (at standard or advanced level).
• Admission is decided according to a score system which is
made up of the secondary school leaving examination results
and the secondary school performance of students.
• Higher education institutions may offer state funded
and fee-paying places for applicants. The number of
state funded places determined by the government
Bachelor and Master programmes
• Bachelor: BA/BSc programmes of 6 to 8 semesters
(ISCED 5A, 180-240 ECTS credits) lead to a first
• Master: Master level programmes (ISCED 5A, 60-
120 ECTS credits) of another 2 to 4 semesters require
a first degree as admission criterion.
• The pre-requisite to entering doctoral programmes
(ISCED 6) is a MA/MSc degree.
• There are a few fields of tertiary education
(e.g. law and medical studies) where
undivided long programmes remain the
standard form of study (10 to 12 semesters,
300-360 ECTS credits) leading to a first degree
but equivalent to a MA/MSc degree.
Advanced vocational programmes
• Short cycle advanced vocational programmes ( 120 ECTS
credits) are relatively new in the Hungarian education system.
These programmes can be provided both by higher education
institutions and upper secondary schools. These programmes
lead to an advanced vocational qualification but does not give
• Higher education also includes post-graduate
• You can do it after the bachelor and the master
training. It doesn’t give a new degree.
PhD or DLA (Doctor of Liberal Arts)
• A PhD or DLA (Doctor of Liberal Arts) degree is
can be obtained after a doctoral course which
follows a Master course.
The rate of the candidates and the
2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012
Hungarian towns with a university or a
The Best Hungarian Universities
1. Eötvös Lóránd University
2. University of Szeged
3. Semmelweis University
4. Corvinus University of Budapest
5. University of Debrecen
Eötvös Lóránd University
The main faculties of the
• Faculty of Law
• Faculty of Informatics
• Faculty of Humanities
(teacher and kindergarten teacher training)
• Faculty of Science
The most popular courses are Faculty of Humanities and
Faculty of Education and Psychology in 2011.( Only in
these 2 faculties the number of candidates is more than
University of Szeged
The main faculties of the University:
- Faculty of Health Care
- Faculty of Music
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Humanities
- Faculty of Engineering
The University is specialised in different
Faculties of Health Science (For examle: doctors,
dentists or pharmacists).
This is the most famous university of doctors in
Corvinus University of Budapest
The main faculties of the university :
• Faculty of Food Science
• Faculty of Economics
This University is famous for high level of
University of Debrecen
The main faculties of the university:
• Faculty of Music
• Faculty of Law
• Faculty of Health Care
• Faculty of Economic
• Faculty of Humanities
The most famous faculty is the Management
Sciences and Rural Development. (The university
has more than 35000 students.)
BME: Budapest University of
Technology and Economics
• Faculty of Civil Engineering
• Faculty of Mechanical Engineering
• Faculty of Architecture
• Faculty of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology
• Faculty of Natural Sciences
• Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Informatics
• Faculty of Economic and Social Sciences
Foreign students in Hungary
• Hungarian colleges and universities have a long tradition of
welcoming foreign students. The number of foreign students
has considerably increased in the last few years.
Hungarian students abroad
There are also many Hungarian students studying abroad. The
most popular destinations are: Germany, France, Italy and
Finland. Most scholarship holders went to study social
sciences, business, law, fine arts or technical sciences.
Our students’ higher education plans
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.